Grumphs Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony's Grumph

Happy to collaborate on the background and build up.

Comment

In the fullness of time then, guys. Thanks.

Tony what will you be riding in SA?
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
        MOT today

I rode the 4 miles today in bright sunshine to my friendly MOT garage. The battery was playing up so I had it running for the horns - I think twin Stebbel horns put a drain on the battery - but boy are they loud
        First think that went wrong was the alloy stand snapped and the bike and the examiner went over together. No damage to either - I will replace the stand with a steel one.
        The front Silverstone brake passed the brake test no problem, the rear just about - although it has been skimmed and new shoes - probably not bedded in yet. A few other small points highlighted but nothing to stop it passing

I have now sent off to the DVLA for the tax disc, the V5 had the bike listed as Bicycle so it needs to altered to historic, something that cannot be done at the post office and no local DVLA office so a bit of a wait for that.

The ride on the bike is very smooth considering the local road surfaces and the TK80s on the front and rear. I will probably need to put a smaller sprocket on the rear as it a bit quick off the mark and will probably not have a particularly high cruising speed - bit like a Villiers engine only joking John.

As soon as I have the tax disc I will be able to ride it a bit more and see what needs changing/improving. I am going to definitely re route the exhaust so it does not come close to my leg, probably through the unused tool box.

A bit of work to do on the rear brake lever and the gear change which needs to be closer to the pegs.
        I'm very envious. What a super job.

David.

Comment

SA bike

Hi Colin - either a Triumph 800 or Triumph 800 XC - since most of South America is paved probably the road version.After this trip I will use the Grumph as I will not be so constrained by time. My mate has a Triumph 800 so it makes sense to have similar powered machines. Whilst I prefer the look of the XC realistically the road version with tubeless rims would probably be a better option, but it will come down to what is the best deal.

Comment

Bit of bling

Obviously I fitted the large exhaust clamps for their cooling properties, not for bling

Just been doing a bit of fettling as MOT is due on Wednesday. I had a great ride around the Devon lanes today, the gearing is great for them, but it definitely needs a smaller rear for more top end on the A roads.

Comment

Afternoon jaunt today

Since I had so much fun this morning and I have lost the list of jobs I was supposed to do
              I thought I would take the grumph for a spin. Even with a change of rear sprocket it is still a bit quick off the mark.
              Top speed is better but probably could with more at less revs.
              The falcon shocks work well and it is as comfortable over rough ground as my 990 KTM was, and a lot easier to handle.

Comment

20 tooth sprocket

I now have a 20 tooth engine sprocket fitted. This has much improved the bikes characteristics, it does not pull away like it wants to climb a tree.
                I can change in to 4th around 40mph which means that it pulls really well in the lanes from 3rd and rockets up the hills

Last edited by tony; 05/07/2018, 07:14 PM.

Comment

No pics Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X