Challenger 24MX3 frame numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenger 24MX3 frame numbers

I have a 1966 24MX3 imported from the USA frame number 24MX3B 1001. I emailed Kenny if he had any info on the bike and told me the USA MX3`s started at 101 and would check the Nicholson files.
    The UK MX3 frame numbers start at 24MX3 900 ,do we know how many UK bikes were made and sequence of numbers ? .
    Did they run 900 to 1000 ? must be more than 100 x MX3 bike made .
    Any info would be great .My Challenger will be at the Bristol Classic Show in Feb.
    Simon

The lowest MX3 number in the dispatch record is 24MX3A 1005. The numbers run sequentially from there BUT there are gaps.

The prefix becomes 24MX3C later on in the sequence.

Around 200 UK MX3s are shown.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks for that Colin ,it appears that my bike must be one of the last sent to the US in 1966 them .The frame number starting at 900 is wrong if the lowest number is 1005.
      Over 900 24MX3 went to the US ? and only 200 in the UK now a few more here after coming back to Blighty.
      Will see you at Bristol Colin .
      Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
        The lowest MX3 number in the dispatch record is 24MX3A 1005. The numbers run sequentially from there BUT there are gaps.

The prefix becomes 24MX3C later on in the sequence.

Around 200 UK MX3s are shown.

Hi Colin!

So the MX3 production number did not start at 101? If so, sorry for giving out wrong information. Always something new to learn!

Kenny

Comment

Hi Kenny,

I reckon the UK MX3's probably started at 1001 and the first four were retained by the factory for works riders, so never appeared in the dispatch record - 'cos they weren't dispatched!

Simon: clearly the 900 start number in my book is wrong. That list was lifted (with Rob Carrick's permission) from his 1987 book; no original research was involved.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Colin the 900 number I got from this site in identify your Greeves .
            My bike is a export bike it has "made in england" stamped under frame number which is 1001
            Photo of Challenger as it is now
            Simon
            Attached Files
            Last edited by trialrider17; 20/12/2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Oh well, maybe the first batch of MX3's were all exported and 900 is right. I don't know.

All speculation though, until we find us a US MX3B with a 9** number.
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

It is sometime difficult to explain to outsiders that we have only part records of production and export. The one thing that we can say with total authority is that we don't actually know all the answers, but will do our best to answer queries with what knowledge we do have.

Comment

Hi Brian ,I'm not really an outsider have been a paid up GRA member since 1987 (30 years) and a Greeves owner and rider from the age of 16 , I am now 68 .
                  I was just trying to get idea of how many MX3s were produced for the UK,so I could see where my bike fitted in as I know the club only have the UK records not the export ones.
                  Regards
                  Simon
                  Last edited by trialrider17; 21/12/2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Hi Simon, my reference was to the more casual questions from "Joe Public", such as at shows and on Facebook,where we often get "How Many?" type questions! I usually answer the questions about the rarities, where we have a fair idea of production levels, but can only give a guide on the more popular bikes. As we see in this case, we are learning all the time.

Comment

Is there any chance anyone with a 24MX3 Challenger UK & US models let me know the frame numbers so I can get idea of surviving bikes.
                      Simon

Comment

I have so far recorded these 24MX3 survivors

24MX1025 GRA member restored UK
                        24MX31030 GRA member UK registered DCK49C
                        24MX31034 GRA member restored UK
                        24MX3A1080 GRA member UK
                        24MX3A1146 Denver USA 4/16
                        24MX3A1272 Bonhams 10/15 UK registered VVD1S
                        24MX3A1353 frame only eBay 11/15 at Pickering
                        24MX3B1001 GRA member UK
                        24MX3C1181 GRA member UK
                        24MX3B1414 New Zealand owner
                        24MX3B1609 Loren Peterson USA
                        24MX3B1658 GRA member UK
                        24MX3B1662 Melbourne, Australia owner
                        24MX3C1039 GRA member basket case UK
                        24MX3D1626 GRA member USA

That is it so far, there seems to be a variety of number letter combinations, some may have letters missing as some were passed to me by owners who may have omitted these or made typos in their emails
                        Last edited by John Wakefield; 06/01/2018, 10:52 AM. Reason: 24MX3B1609 added

Comment

Thanks John ,I have another one owned by GRA member to add to your list
                          24MX3A1080.
                          Simon

Comment

Hello Simon,

My Mx3 Challenger has frame number 24MX3\1030

As an aside it has a V5C Registration Number DCK 49C

and under BODY TYPE it is SCOOTER COMBINATION!!!

Cheers
                            Colin

Comment

Hi Colin ,thanks for that is your bike a UK model.
                              Pretty rapid combo then.
                              Regards Simon
                              Last edited by trialrider17; 21/12/2017, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X