Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the world of Greeves

Just a quick hello,
    After going to the off road show at Telford I decided that I must have a Greeves after seeing them all lined up on the stand.
    Not having much mechanical experience should have prevented me buying one - but I went ahead and did. Equally risky I decided to buy off Ebay.
    I think I was lucky and bought a 1962 TE250 which I am really pleased with. Its registered and will hopefully soon be back on the road. Ive decided against full sparkling restoration and like the 'used and enjoyed' look best (also matches my mechanical knowledge level)
    Maybe I should apologise now for all the banal/stupid questions that I will ask members in the coming months but hope you will bear with me

Keeping the Greeves Dream alive!

Welcome to the World of Greeves, Mark.
    I'd be surprised if you don't get all the answers you seek on here.
    Great to hear that you'll be using the bike as it was intended, and that it'll be in proper condition for its vintage.
    Pleased to have you aboard!

Comment

Great to hear that you are yet rescuing another part of history, restored to original condition as it left the factory, and not another Chromosexual machine that appear so often at shows

Comment

The "restoration" of bikes to a high-gloss, high-spec finish is, in my opinion, allowable inasmuch as the manufacturers did the same with bike put on display at the major shows. However, the bike should be "period perfect", so must be as built, not have later modifications or changes that spoil the authenticity of the build. .

Comment

Modifications to most competition bikes start as soon as they leave the factory as owners change them to suit their own physiognomy or to seek advantages in competition. In other words, competition bikes will get modified; it's inevitable.

Maybe a sensible guide for us is to limit mods to those which might have or could have been carried out in period. That's the approach I went for with my TFS. It's pristine at the moment by the way, but I fully intend to get it muddy!
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Welcome Mark,
            Always good to see new members.

Comment

And the other McCoo joined, welcome Josh, just keep clear of those dreaded BSAs!

Comment

Colin - you need to bring that bike down to the Somerton weekend. Dangerous Dick will soon make it look well-used for you!

Comment

Working...
                X