Griffon 380....or 360....or QUB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Paul,
    Bike looks fantastic and I hope you get the starting problem sorted out. Dave is the man and has always helped me with really good advice when I was building my two griffons a few years back. In fact between him and Brian I could not have done it. Of course now I am a bloody expert !!!!!!

Please post some racing pictures. Hope to see you soon at a race or two.

Craig

Comment

• What he said....

Ditto Paul, well done!

Your bike is looking superb, and once people cotton on to the 'textured grip panels' you've added to your tank, trust me, they'll all be doing it....!!

Hope you get loads of fun out of it, and stick with it.....you'll get it sorted.

Thanks also for all your brilliant contributions on here.....we ALL learn as much, if not more, from our 'mistakes' (I like to think of them more as 'opportunities'...) so well done for sharing them, along with the good bits too.

Hey Craig.....glad I could help mate, and thanks for 'sharing the love'...!!

Brian.

Comment

• I used to help a gent who built some Ford Race and Rally engines. He saw a panel I had done with proper crinkle finish paint and I did several rocker box covers for him. They look good and last reasonably well as long as the prep work is done! You can buy that stuff in Red....

Comment

• Originally posted by brian thompson View Post
          ditto paul, well done!

Your bike is looking superb, and once people cotton on to the 'textured grip panels' you've added to your tank, trust me, they'll all be doing it....!! :d:d

hope you get loads of fun out of it, and stick with it.....you'll get it sorted.

thanks also for all your brilliant contributions on here.....we all learn as much, if not more, from our 'mistakes' (i like to think of them more as 'opportunities'...:d) so well done for sharing them, along with the good bits too.

Hey craig.....glad i could help mate, and thanks for 'sharing the love'...!! :d

brian.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

• Craig & Brian T , get a room fellers! we don't want to turn the forum into a dating site.... or maybe this could be the new thread our members have been waiting for

Still not pinned down any specific problem, other than air screw on carb only 1/2 turn out. But got some joy trying to bump start the bike. Getting 8 or 10 firings but just doesn't sustain more than that. Managed to book in to local bike emporium in the morning so hopefully they can find something. Really feeling like I'm going to run out of time now but will get down to Marks Tay regardless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Soggy Welly View Post
              Craig & Brian T , get a room fellers! we don't want to turn the forum into a dating site.... or maybe this could be the new thread our members have been waiting for :
              Warning! Banter Alert!!!

Ha!!! Nice one Paul, but I'm afraid there's no fear of that.....not after what happened the last time....

So sorry to hear that you're still struggling to nail down the issue.....I can't add anything more to Dave's superb 'troubleshooting' post, and Higgo knows what he's talking about, but I sincerely hope you get a result quickly so you can get out on it and get some pleasure from all your hard work.

Brian.

Comment

• Paul, if they can`t sort it, you are welcome put it on the back of your horse & cart & bring it down to bristol, where i can have a proper look for you.......

Comment

• Thanks for the kind offer Dave, if all else fails I may well take you up on that...

Just got feedback from the bike shop. The guys there feel the spark is very weak, but otherwise can find no problem. However, as you said previously Dave, an electronic ignition characteristically produces a faint spark? But as the bike isn't firing, it is looking more and more like this is the problem. Unfortunately they haven't the time to investigate further today, but at least it feels like I am moving forward.

You mentioned earlier it could be the 'spark breaking down under compression', this is new on me - is there any way to check this?

I'm off to pick up the bike now and brace myself for a long night in the garage

Comment

• Paul, is the kit you have an stk 990, electrex world.
                    If so, run through how you have fitted it, step by step, just to make sure its fitted ok, only i have said this before on the forum, these kits are pretty good & rarely fail, problems are usually down to misinterputation of the fitting instructions.
                    Last edited by dave higgins; 31/03/2018, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• Yep, that's the one Dave. it was fitted by VS last year whilst they had the engine, so you would like to think it is fitted correctly. But as you said, never assume.....off to garage with your list of checks to have another go.

Comment

• can you put a few pics up of the stator & flywheel? just to see if it looks right!

Comment

• Hi Paul and Dave,
                          I had an electrix world on my BSA that gave similar symptoms. I spent 3 months push the bloody thing round the garden. Because it had a spark I did not think it was the problem. Anyway, I sent it back and although they tested it and said nothing was wrong, they made a "few improvements" and when I got it back, eventually, it now runs perfectly. Obviously not a big fan of these guys and their after sales service but that my opinion.
                          Have you got a spare ignition?
                          Last year my PVL ignition went bad at mortimer and Terry and the boys swopped it out for an original motoplat while the rest of us sampled beer and watched. Its still there and running well.
                          try to get another ignition even temporally just to check if you can.

Comment

• Maybe craig, i can only speak as i find, i have had 3 units on bsa`s over the yrs & found them to be superb quality compared to say the nametab equivalant.
                            But Its very possible there is a fault with the unit, but there is very little i can do from here. only advise on basic checks.

Comment

• Hi Dave, I've just pm'ed you in case you don't see it.

Paul

Comment

• Was it those units that worked better by swapping the leads over?

Comment

Working...
                                X