Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon 380....or 360....or QUB

Hi all,

A few pics of my griffon twin port in first stages of restoration. Its my first Greeves so hope I can do it justice, but looking at some of the superb examples you guys have produced, I'm feeling a bit intimidated. I'm not looking for a concourse restoration, just to get it up and running and entered in the pre 65 scrambles. Engine is with Steve at Villiers for some tlc as the machine has been stored for at least 17years. It appears to be a real bitsa, with 360cc barrel and a qub head. Anyone tried this combination? I'm thinking if this is a workable configuration, the reduced power could produce a more tractable machine for a rooky like me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	64287

All fibreglass bits are there and a little filler and paint should see them good enough. Fuel cap has polished up lovely so the project is 99% done Forks are totally shot and non standard so have to go, but luckily I have a pair of Ceriani's lined up from a kind forum member.

Name:	DSC_0017.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	64288
    Not sure about the carb pretty sure it is also non standard. Any thoughts if it is worth perservering with?

Name:	DSC_0027.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	64289
    Both inner and outer primary chaincase show signs of damage. I'm told these are hard to come by so if anyone out there can help...

Name:	DSC_0029.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	64290

Just waiting on return of the engine, and an opportunity to pick up spares. I was going to rock up at Marks Tey on 26th March, pick up the parts on the way, and see how you guys get on. Can't wait....

Paul

Hi Soggy,

Project looking good.
    Can you check that the tank is not original as modern petrol will eat its way through and clog the carb etc.
    Roger Inness does a really good modern replacement that stands up to modern fuels but there is a bit of a waiting list.
    Hopefully see you at the races.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
      Hi Soggy,

Project looking good.
      Can you check that the tank is not original as modern petrol will eat its way through and clog the carb etc.
      Roger Inness does a really good modern replacement that stands up to modern fuels but there is a bit of a waiting list.
      Hopefully see you at the races.

Craig
      Hi Craig, any giveaway to tell if tank is original? I think I saw advice on forum saying if tank is emptied after every use and not left with fuel standing in it, then it doesn't seem to cause problems. thanks for response though, I was going to pick up paint and lacquer today, so you may have saved me a bit of cash and time...

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,
        You can also use petrol that does not contain ethanol which will help also but safest way is new tank I think.

Don't know the best way to tell but if you contact Roger he should be able to help.
        He is a good guy and very helpful. I don't want to give number out here but if you PM me I will reply with number.

By the way I think the primary case looks much better than any I use and I would give the carb a try and see what happens. White spark plug tip is the warning to look out for. (Kim, jump in with some good advice please)

Bottom line is build it up and hit her a kick and see what happens. If it runs then bring to the race and enjoy.

Comment

The carb is a Mk2 Amal, better than the original Mk1.

Comment

Originally posted by johnu View Post
            The carb is a Mk2 Amal, better than the original Mk1.
            Thanks for comments Craig & Johnu. I'll certainly try the carb in that case. Just out of interest, was the mk2 fitted to later models or was it never used on the Griffon?

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Welly View Post
              Thanks for comments Craig & Johnu. I'll certainly try the carb in that case. Just out of interest, was the mk2 fitted to later models or was it never used on the Griffon?

Paul
              I don't know the answer to that but my 1970 250 has a Mk1 Amal. Soon to be changed to a Mk2 or 32mm Mikuni.

Comment

Hi Paul

Thanks for the pics.. Nice to see what you have..

If the bike has been sat 17 years the tank will definitely be not ethanol resistant.. Roger Ennis's tanks are brill and not that expensive when you consider his expertise... The colour and finish are show quality also. Personally I wouldn't bother mucking about with the old stuff..

I think the porting was more aggressive on the 360mx4 than the 380 griffon.. The 380 is very tractable and go like stink.. That said I'm sure it will work fine

The bike would have come with a 932 mk1 Amal concentric from the factory but it will be fine on a mk2 instead..

Good luck and keep posting..

Regards

Scott

Comment

Regarding the tank, best to test for etnanol in the fuel before you put it in the tank as per my Leading Link article. I use Shell V Power which may or may not contain ethanol in the particular batch. I buy a small quantity, test it and if OK, rush back and fill up the jerrycan.

A friend of mine put supermarket petrol in his Bultaco which had a pattern fibre glass tank. The bike was awaiting attention and got forgotten about. After a couple of months, the stuff had eaten right through the tank and when we tipped the petrol out, it coated the funnel with fibreglass goo!

He has now bought a replacement from Roger Ennis!

Comment

Mk2 Amal is effectively a
                    Mikuni copy and much better than the 932 mk1 . Strip and clean go with standard main and needle jet with likely larger pilot . replace with new jets a good idea .... As Craig says fire her up and see what happens ! Do a few lug chops and u r looking for brown tan colour .
                    380 head on 360 barrel not ideal but as long as u have good seal won't slow u down too much .
                    Enjoy !!

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
                      Mk2 Amal is effectively a
                      Mikuni copy and much better than the 932 mk1 . Strip and clean go with standard main and needle jet with likely larger pilot . replace with new jets a good idea .... As Craig says fire her up and see what happens ! Do a few lug chops and u r looking for brown tan colour .
                      380 head on 360 barrel not ideal but as long as u have good seal won't slow u down too much .
                      Enjoy !!
                      Thanks for input gents.
                      Kim, when you say 360 barrel not ideal, is this just due to the inevitably reduced power, or is there another issue.

Paul

Comment

Kim said 380 head on 360 barrel is not ideal. Probably an issue caused by the slightly bigger bore of the head.

Comment

Exactly right Brian ....it will work but not optimal

Comment

A little progress made. Amal mkII carb ready for action. new seals, gasket, all new jets, and a good old fashioned spit wash. it looks the dogs do-dahs if I say so myself.

Name:	amal mk2 carb.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	60548
                            Whilst I was in cleaning mode, I got a bit OCD on the primary chain outer cover. perhaps looking at shiny bike bits is the only justification for wearing sunglasses inside

Name:	primary chaincase.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	60549

A question. Whilst sourcing the carb refurb bits on the Amal website I noticed what appeared to be the same carb sold as a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke, but with different jet combinations. Is this the only difference between 2 and 4 stroke carbs or are there internal 'construction' differences also. Sorry if this appears a dense question, but it's never occurred to me before.

Paul

Comment

Soggy, if you fancy doing a bit of Amal 'spotting', I did some articles on the differences in Leading Link some time ago. If you don't have these, I can send you a copy.

The Amal Anorak (Note: AMAL, not another similar sounding word, the same less one letter!)

Comment

Working...
                              X