Bikes other than Greeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bikes other than Greeves

As people interested in motorcycles, I guess that some of us have bikes other than Greeves in our keeping.

What about showing some on this forum?

I will start with my 1913 Matchless veteran which was restored over 20 years ago.
    Fitted with a 500cc JAP twin motor, overhead inlet/side exhaust valves.

Does not get much use these days.
    Attached Files

Bike other than Greeves.

What a great idea for a new thread Ross!

And what a beautiful machine to get the ball rolling with too!

I'm afraid I can't offer much, other than a mouldy old Ducati carcass (!) comprising of a 1976 900SD Darmah, the actual bike that 'Bike' magazine tested at the UK launch and one of the very first to be imported, and a mint (but well used!) 2004 Yamaha FZS 1000 Fazer owned from new. But I know that some of the members have got some lovely classic stuff tucked away.

Mind you, it would be nice to see a few more of the members Greeves as well....!

Any takers chaps?

(In the meantime, I'll have to take some new pics of my TCS and post them in the 'Trials Machines' subforum! )

Brian.

Comment

Cracking idea! How about these, then?
      Attached Files
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Other bikes

I run a Yamaha T80 Townmate commutor (the one pictured). Being shaft drive 4 stroke with 4 gears it will do 120 mpg & cruise at 40mph. Ideal for everyday commuting. Better than the Honda C90. These are now becoming collectable & prices even for wrecks rising. Like all Jap step throughs they do tend to rust around the rear mudguard & suspension mounting points. Sadly Yamaha stopped making them some years ago in favour of 'twist & go leaf blowers'
        If anyone needs spares for these I have a number of used parts for the T80 & T50 (01223 843802)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 18/06/2010, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Today's "other shed" special is my 1916 GCS JAP Veteran.
          This bike was built in Melbourne from imported British parts.
          A 750cc JAP SV V Twin motor with chain drive to the Sturmey Archer gearbox, then belt drive to the rear wheel. Goes well but hard to pull up.
          A good solid machine to cope with the conditions of the day.
          Attached Files

Comment

Todays non Greeves is my 1968 Dot Trials bike which is fitted with a 175cc Mineralli motor.
            Possibly competition for the Pathfinder?
            Attached Files

Comment

Is there nobody else with bikes to show under this thread?

Today's bike is my 1974 SWM 50cc ISDT replica.
              This was the first SWM imported into Australia, and bears the frame number AUS 0001.

As I was responsible for the import of this machine and uncrated it when it arrived, I am very pleased to now have it in my possession.
              Attached Files

Comment

Here's a nice one for today. My 1959 Royal Enfield Constellation. 700cc, a fast bike with plenty of torque.

Lovely thing to ride but a heavy blighter to get onto its centre stand...
                Attached Files
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Bought a Constellation for £12 in the 1970's a good runner to. What are they worth now?

Comment

The agreed insurance value on my Connie is £4000, and that dates from 2007 when I bought it.

Rebuilt engine, crankcase oil pressurization sorted and fully restored - up to £5K retail I would think.
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Bikes other than Greeves.

This is my 2004 Yamaha FZS Fazer 1000, owned from new. I've had a succesion of big road bikes over the years (including Suzuki GS1000S, Kawasaki GPZ900R, Ducati SD900 Darmah, etc) but this is by far the best one I've had. It has a great riding position, perfect for 'real roads', and runs rings around the 'hands in a washing up bowl' brigade on the bumpy bits! It also has a 'proper' pillion seat, a centre stand (gasp!) and in my opinion is one of the last of the true 'roadsters' left on the market these days.... It has an R1 engine (five valve heads) retuned for midrange torque where it actually counts on the road, and is the last of the carb'd models pre everything going fuel injection, so no need to set up your carbs with a laptop etc! The limited edition 'Silver Storm' (and metallic black) paintwork looks great when the sun catches it!

Mods include an Akrapovic titanium exhaust can and link pipe (baffle kept in for 'stealth'!), Goodridge brake hoses and Goldline pads, Skidmarx 'double-bubble' screen, rear hugger and headlamp protectors, loads of stainless fasteners (Pro-Bolt), Beowolf stainless radiator guard and sticky Pirelli 'Diablo Rosso' tyres, plus a few other bits and bobs. Future development will be focussed on suspension tweaks, although the stock stuff is pretty good with preload, compression and rebound damping adjustment at both ends. It's also still on the original chain too, still going strong after covering over 20,000 miles in all weathers, thanks to scrupulous cleaning, lubing and adjustment.

I wish it sounded as good as my old Duke though......even if I don't have to find a bridge to park under if it rains during a ride...!

Brian.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 08/06/2010, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                        This is my 2004 Yamaha FZS Fazer 1000, owned from new. Brian.
                        Ooo! Can I have a go some time?
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Course ya can mate! You might have to 'recalibrate yer brain' a bit after riding that Ner-A-Car though....!

Better yet, why don't you do a feature on it for RC to wind Frank up....?!

In a few years time (!) it should be eligible for a few VMCC runs an all..!!!

Comment

Here's something interesting I got to borrow and ride last year. 1929 Scott Sprint Special.

It goes like stink; I wish it was mine!

(C'mon guys let's see a few more)
                            Attached Files
                            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Bikes other than Greeves (from back in the day!)

That Scott looks like a 'proper' bit of kit Colin-really nice. I followed one once (on my Fazer thou) into Stanford Hall, along that narrow lane that winds it's way to the main entrance. Sounded as crisp as new fiver it did-just lovely!

Here's another one from me then, my old 1976 Ducati SD900 Darmah desmo V-twin, as it was back when it was on the road many moons ago..

They were taken outside my flat in Leicester in the early/mid 1980s, and it was one of the first Darmahs to be imported. I have a copy of a period 'Bike' magazine roadtest of this bike, alongside another example with a consecutive registration number. The Dunstall 'Power Pipe' silencers were fitted when I bought it.....in a word, fruity! And strangely, it made no difference if the baffles were fitted or not...it did sound nice on the overun though! The last shot was taken just prior to going on holiday to Cornwall on it with my then girlfriend....and yes, it did make it!

Brian.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 11/06/2010, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X