Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Andy, and I'm really pleased you've got some enjoyment from seeing them-my pleasure!

I couldn't agree more Andy, they're brilliant aren't they, and it just goes to show how forward thinking and stylish Greeves were in their approach to advertising. I think this material is just wonderful, and timeless...

Incidently, if anyone's interested Colin did a really nice feature on Peter Hammond back in 'Leading Link' #140, comprising a sequence of five photographs showing how to control an 'out of control' wheelie on a Scottish..! They're fantastic shots, and well worth seeking out for a second look if you have that issue. It's interesting to compare them with the image in my previous post above.

Brian.

Comment

Brian

Brian,
      "showing how to control an 'out of control' wheelie on a Scottish..!"
      Hm is this a cryptic message you are sending me.
      Andy.

Comment

You too eh!!!

Ha ha! I know what you mean Andy...especially if you ride Jap bikes as well and momentarily forget which side the rear brake pedal is....!!!

If you have that issue it's well worth a look. Peter Hammond gets his Scottish near vertical in the sequence, and the original 'press' captions that Colin included are really funny (kinda 'going...going......still going...etc!) I think he saved it..?!

I tried to 'change gear' with a good stamp on the brake pedal on a Laverda SF750 once.....I was trampin' on a bit at the time, and it was my mates bike... Let's just say it 'got my attention'!!! Oh well, at least it was a long time ago, and I don't think he noticed the flat spot on the rear tyre...!

Brain. (?!)

Comment

More Greeves Art.

Here's another nice Greeves illustration I discovered, this time from the TFS factory brochure. Once again, I had to completely redraw the artwork in order to 'reclaim' it, not least because the original image is a negative and I had to make the green bits white and the white bits black...! It was a fun challenge though and hopefully I've done it justice.

As for the rider, this time there is no photograph in the brochure to indicate what the original artwork was drafted from. From looking at contemporary pictures, my guess would be it's either Don 'DR' Smith, or maybe either Tony or Malcolm Davis. Perhaps someone might recognise the image (maybe the number '175' is a clue), and could confirm the rider's identity.

Anyway, that's another peice of contemporary Greeves artwork 'restored' for the collection! Hope everyone enjoys seeing it.

Brian.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 16/10/2010, 12:09 PM. Reason: Pics added.

Comment

Something For The Roadster Fans.

Very little factory 'artwork' seems to exist for the Roadster models. However, I did manage to find this small but charming illustration on the rear of an early '60's factory brochure for the roadster range.

It depicts a couple out for a spin on a DCX 'Sportsman' model, and once again I've redrawn the image to replicate the original artwork as accurately as I could.

Hope all the roadster lads enjoy seeing it!

Brian.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 17/10/2010, 11:04 PM. Reason: Pics added.

Comment

The XP Prototypes.

Here's the latest, and something a bit special....well I think so anyway! While not much 'art' appears to be out there of the roadster models, I've found this excellent airbrushed illustration of the original Greeves roadster prototype (possibly XP2 Colin?) I had to do a little repair work (more pixels than crayons this time though!) to correct some damage to the original, but it's still clear to see what a fine peice of work this is.

I couldn't post this without also including something of the off-road version XP1. This smashing cartoon appeared in 'LL' #14 as an introduction to the 'Sales and Wants' section at the rear of the newsletter, and I think it's great fun!

Ken, if you're out there somewhere I hope you don't mind me posting it here with the other pic as it seemed appropriate somehow. I like your style!

Brian.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 18/11/2010, 10:53 PM. Reason: Pics added.

Comment

Pathfinder on a Mouse Mat!

Here's another example I found a while back.

Amazing what keeps turning up.

And to the 'purists'....yes, I know they never had yellow tanks (did they...?) and light blue frames (except on eBay...)

Brian.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Brian Thompson; 04/03/2012, 04:55 PM. Reason: Pic added.

Comment

My entry for the Turner Prize, 2014.

This one's a bit abstract.....

I call it 'Moorland Blue Sunset Over Water'.

Brian.
                  Attached Files

Comment

A true masterpiece brian!, you can see from the delicate use of blue felt tip, that the artist is stretching ones imagination beyond that of the 60`s thundersly period!
                    The clever white background creates a feeling of space, yet one feels totally incapsulated with the contemporary feel of the shimmering use of light as the artist begs us to drawn toward the door....
                    Last edited by dave higgins; 12/12/2013, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Poetry.

Strewth mate, I never knew you were a patron of the arts, and could appreciate the subtle beauty and intrinsic form of a house brick! I really hope they ask you to be one of the judges again.

I'm deeply flattered and moved to beers! Mind you, it took me a long time to come up with that one, so I'm pleased that you appreciated the untold effort, the hours of thought, the months of yoghurt knitting and simply staring and staring at yet another blank canvas, waiting for the muse to come forth.

I've suffered for my art you know...

Brian.

Comment

Greeves Art

OK who is going to say it first, I think you should sell it on eBay, mind you is the colour correct ?

Rob.

Comment

Hi all, what we need then sprocket, is a valuation!!, now let me see.....who might?.........yep, i can see a face walking out from the mist.......

Comment

No sorry, it's an obvious fake.....The original is in my back bedroom from when I sprayed a Honda there!

Comment

Greeves Art

Sorry but I don't think so , I did a rubbing of the frame number eleventeen years ago. 5 HIT . Also I know the man who hung the original .

Comment

Good work men!

.....but what a shame that my latest 'peice' has attracted the most input on this thread from when I originally posted it.

All that work....for three responses.....(and 1,200 views....)

Can't say I didn't try chaps...

Comment

Working...
                                X