Griffon Enduro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good old Villiers Services

So what is the chance of getting the rear light for the enduro and a front brake plate, both NOS,
    obviously shops soiled but fantastic. Thanks to Gary for picking them up for me.
    I also got the rear mudguard hoop which is missing, Duncan of Parkwood products has made some.

I have brake shoes but need the brake cam if anyone has a spare

Comment

Moorland blue flake

In the Cycle news review (April 18th, 1972 Page 31) of the Griffon Enduro 250 the writer talks about the tank colour -

'a very foxy metal flake called moorland blue'

So what is moorland blue flake?

Is this an American version, a bit of blue, a bit of black and a handful or 2 of flake

As these were produced by Jeckel industries were the tanks UK produced and finished or sprayed in the states?
      Last edited by tony; 21/01/2018, 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Moorland blue flake

Greeves did produce the metalflake tanks on site. They weren't popular with the guys in the GRP shop. They took too long and it was difficult to get even dispersion of the flakes in the gel coat.

I did get some of the flakes from the factory in a jam jar, I've no idea where they went. I got a guy to make some tanks and panels for me but he didn't like doing them either.

Druid

Comment

Thanks druid, interesting info, you better start looking in your shed for the metal flake

Comment

I have just got the missing engine guards (thanks Kenny) which are a hammered grey/silver colour. Obviously it is Moorland hammer grey/silver but does anyone know a good match for the original colour? I am unsure whether any of the home market Griffons had a hammered finish paint.

Last edited by tony; 07/02/2018, 08:12 PM. Reason: Added photo

Comment

Jeckel logo

The side panels are damaged and need repairing or new ones. Roger is hopefully going to make some moulds as he does not have any for this model.
              The logos are worse for wear as well so I thought I would make some ready for when I get new panels.

Original

Reproduction one, bit of work to do but getting there

Comment

Speedometer mounting

I was perplexed as I could not see how the speedometer fitted to the bracket in the correct position.
                The thread studs put the clock face in the wrong direction, and I have tried it with a couple of different speedometers.
                I contacted Steve (Villiers services) who sent me these photos of his 380 Griffon Enduro which has the same set up.
                It looks like the speedometer (yellow bronze colour case) sits in side a slightly larger case which in turn is bolted to the speedometer fixing bar.
                Well it looks like that to me

Comment

Here's an advert from Nick Nicholson from 1972 showing both 250 and 380 Griffon Enduros. Some came with the thin MX seat and others with the thicker Desert / Enduro seat. Both pictured here use the Metal Profile fork.

Ken Sykes
                  Nicholson Motors
                  USA
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Ken useful to have a comparison to the see similarities and differences. Do you know what speedometer drive the Nick Nicholson version used? The Jeckel Industries was an Italian VDO unit and my one is without it's working parts. I need to source an original (stamped 18) or a similar one that will do the job.

Comment

Getting closer with the 'cup' for the speedometer. The BSA A65 had a steel one before they and Triumph went over to rubber.
                      It is not quite the same but similar, whether Greeves used another manufacturers or made them is any ones guess unless someone knows for definite.

Comment

Engine out

I have just removed the engine so I can tidy up the frame before taking it to Dave for sorting.
                        I presume whoever fiddled with it put the engine bolts in the wrong way. I had to remove the clutch to slide the bolts out as they would not go past the clutch cover.
                        Fortunately everything was just finger tight so with my limited skills the clutch was off and the engine out.

The hammered silver frame, Silver Hammerite is fairly close

Comment

Round and round in circles

I have spent some time trying to find out about the original speedometer drive. The Italian drives were popular for mopeds and some small Italian bikes. Trying to find any information on the ratios has hit a brick wall. I know my one is stamped 18 on the cap and ones that are being sold are stamped 238 - what's the difference? Who knows, certainly not the retailers.
                          I did wonder whether the Triumph one fitted to their conical hubs could be adapted? The hubs are probably different however as long as there is sufficient space then I presume some spacers could be machined to make it fit correctly.

Burton bike bits sell a Veglia one that has a 2:1 ratio, not sure how that would work however it looks similar in shape and size.

Comment

Tony, i do know of a company, that do inline reduction boxes or vice/versa to achieve your ratio status, but they are not cheap & waiting list is 4-5wks......

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                              I have spent some time trying to find out about the original speedometer drive. The Italian drives were popular for mopeds and some small Italian bikes. Trying to find any information on the ratios has hit a brick wall. I know my one is stamped 18 on the cap and ones that are being sold are stamped 238 - what's the difference? Who knows, certainly not the retailers.
                              I did wonder whether the Triumph one fitted to their conical hubs could be adapted? The hubs are probably different however as long as there is sufficient space then I presume some spacers could be machined to make it fit correctly.

Burton bike bits sell a Veglia one that has a 2:1 ratio, not sure how that would work however it looks similar in shape and size.

To work out the gearing number of speedo use following formula

1680 x N then divide by wheel/tyre radius in inches (N = number of turns of speedo cable for 6 turns of wheel).
                              So taking the 2:1 drive 1680 x 12 divided by a radius of 14 inches (a guess as I dont have a 400 x 18 wheel but a 325 x 18 is 12.5 inches) that gives a figure of 1440. Most Smiths speedos have a gearing number around 1600. So using one of these would give a low reading. You would need a speedo with a gearing number of 1440.

As a matter of interest the similar style Smiths gearbox was made with two ratios 1:1 and 2:1
                              Last edited by John Wakefield; 22/05/2018, 11:56 AM. Reason: Additional info on Smiths gearbox addes

Comment

Thanks, I will keep searching for a while, I don't need it for a few more weeks . I have asked Steve (Villiers) to send me a photo of his one as I believe it is different. He did say there was no name on it so it might be a different brand.

Comment

Working...
                                X