Grumphs Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grumphs Progress

The wiring is all working - just needs tidying - the tank fits overall of it
    and leaves space to see the top of the engine.

Does anyone know what knee rubbers would fit this tank - the brackets are
    approx 17-18cm long - about 9cm off the tank?

Grumph sees the light of day

The tank and seat now fit and the bike has been outside with the engine running.
    There is still a fair bit of sorting to do with cable and wire position.
    Next job is to fit the new 44 tooth cog for the speedometer drive and sort out a rear brake.

Comment

Greeves Trailee

Congratulations Tony. Your bike looks really good. In a way you have created the first Greeves 'Trailee'. A purpose built long distance machine based on your experiences with KTMs and the requirements of long-distance travelling.

Had you considered an article for Leading-Link?

Comment

Trip first

Thanks Phil, I think I need to do a trip first and see how it works before a write up. It was good to start the engine on Sunday, makes it feel that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment

Rear brake hub

I have fitted the new 44 tooth cog but unfortunately the thread has gone on the brake plate so the drive will not screw in . What to do?
          Advice much appreciated.

Comment

I have fitted the new 44 tooth cog but unfortunately the thread has gone on the brake plate so the drive will not screw in . What to do?

The best way would be to fit a helicoil insert, but getting one the right thread may not be possible (I dont know what the thread is) This link to Helicoil catalogue gives available tread types & sizes on page 10 http://www.helicoil.in/pdf/HeliCoil%20Catalogue.pdf
            Secondly have the original hole in brake plate bored out a larger size to fit a threaded sleeve held in with locktite & tapped out the correct internal thread for drive. If taps are not available a machine shop should be able to screw cut a thread after determining the tpi from the drive.
            Finally you could use an industrial adhesive such as araldite to glue the drive in place, as once its fixed in place it is unlikely to be dismantled this may be worth a try.

This company may be able to help in re threading the brake plate as they make the gears.
            East Restorations.
            The Meeting House,
            63 High Street,
            Navenby,
            Lincoln LN5 0EF
            Tel. 01522 810029 email: eastrestorations@tinyworl.co.uk
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 18/02/2013, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Back plate

Tony

Dry assemble the drive to check it is in the correct place. Use the back nut as a reference. Re-fit using a Loctite product. Threadlock should do the job. This is not quite as permanent a solution compared to Araldite.

Ultimately you will need another backplate. Yours can be sold on to an off road rider

Phil

Comment

What a palava!

I discussed my predicament with Colin East from East Engineering
                who made the new 44 tooth cog and the cheapest option
                is to remove the small cog myself and check the plate thread.
                This was difficult as the pin that had been put in did
                not want to come out, no matter what was tried.
                The easiest solution in the end was to snap the teeth
                off the cog so it would then pass through the whole.
                This was relatively simply and it came out without damaging
                the thread in the plate.

You can see the worn thread on the drive -
                Interestingly enough when I put it into the Scottish steel plate it holds.
                I can only think that being steel there is very little or no wear on
                the thread so it can grip the drive shaft. The drive shaft from
                my Scottish holds well in the alloy plate so at least I
                can move forward with completing the Grumph.
                At some point I need to sort out the speedo drive for the
                Scottish- speedometer has been broken for 30 years

Scottish Speedo drive in the Grumph rear full width hub

Colin East ( East Engineering) offers a full service on these drives and has replacement cases if they are knackered.

Comment

The elusive tank pads

I picked up the elusive tank pads at the VMC Autojumble today.
                  As you can see a perfect fit thanks to Jeff Hunter who recognised what the tank came off.

Comment

Grumphs Progress

Don't keep us all in suspender's, what was the tank from? John P.

Comment

and the tank is?

Jeff Alan reckoned it was from a 1962 Ajs/Match - certainly the pads fit exactly and the shape looks the same.

Comment

AJS/Matchless tank knee grips

Knee grips available from AMC Classic Spares http://www.amcclassicspares.com/Petr...il%20Tanks.pdf
                        but at £38.50 a pair. Although they do stick on ones for £8.17 a pair
                        Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/03/2013, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Knee pads

A little cheaper at £33.00 from Jeff & Alan Hunter

Comment

What do they make these out of gold impregnated rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                              What do they make these out of gold impregnated rubber.
                              Small production runs of items for a limited market are always going to be costly. Fact of life.
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                              X