This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ronwright26 View Post
    I make reference to Colins remarks regarding a plan to put forward as an agenda item and the post regarding the entry in the OBM. I too read this in the OBM yesterday and the compiler Mike has managed to find details of over 9500 Tiger Cub and Terrier machines for his register. I have sent him an email message to determine how he has gone about it and in what form the register is kept as it would appear that these owners have had no problem in sharing their information. I will keep you all posted
    A long time ago (decades?) the GRA printed the number produced of every model, if that is any use to you.I,ve got a copy somewhere.If I remember correctly total production was just over 15000 bikes.

Comment

Greeves Register

Stuart

That would be a good starter for 10 - if you can get a copy to me that would be really helpful

Cheers

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by ronwright26 View Post
        Stuart

That would be a good starter for 10 - if you can get a copy to me that would be really helpful

Cheers

Ron
        I,ve got it but I,m struggling to find it.If I find it I,ll get in touch with you.

Comment

982 wev

If a register does get off the groung i would like to hear if 982 WEV a 25DC twin is still around ??

Comment

982wev

The number is not shown on DVLA so its not been on the road since around 1980

Comment

Greeves Register

I have been in touch with the compiler of the Tiger Cib/Terrier Register and it has been very helpful. I would envisage that the register would cover all Greeves models with the frame number is the focus. To that would be detailed the engine type fitted [no engine number] the date of registration, the current number plate, whether the vehicle is on the road, under going restoration or a project waiting to happen and a comments column with any info imparted. I am lucky in that when I got my Scottish the original log book came with it so I have quite a bit of info on the machine. I intend to share this info with the forum in a separate forum message. The register would not be for general circulation but would be shared amongst committee members upon request. It would be in a simple excel format. I am prepared to compile to the register and be the custodian but obviously I will the input of the membership and help in viewing the archive material. I would like some feedback before I prepare an agenda item for the committee but in the meantime I have started a register from information in the public domain. If any member wishes to share their information with me they can pm me on ronwright26.
              There is currently 425 forum members so we have a good start plus the despatch records from Greeves held by the club [who has them I do not know] would be really helpful.
              Am I pushing on a closed door here ? I see no privacy issues or any reason to be worried about criminal elements getting this information - in a former life was a Detective Chief Inspector so I think I know how to protect us.

Comment

Ron, I can see your point and your pedigree! However, I still think a number of owners would be reticent about sharing much info. My thoughts are that we do need a register, but any owner can decide just how much, or how little info can be made available about their bike.
                I think we should make clear that we will record such information as they wish to have recorded, on the basis that only the holder of the record will have full access and members will only have access to the overall statistics and the presence on the register of any given frame number unless the owner agrees to have additional info shared.

Comment

Greeves Register

Thanks for all previous input. I have had further contact with the compiler of the Terrier/Tiger Cub register and privacy issues have not been a problem as the information received would be held by me as a custodian for the GRA and not available to the public except with the express permission of that machines owner. General statistics would be available
                  In order to judge what interest is out there both within and outside of the GRA I intend in the next few days to approach all the classic bike publications and ask that they put a letter from me in their letters pages advising of my details and my proposed register

Comment

Please take up my suggestion of 3rd March and get the GRA Committee on board before you rush off too far down this road.

You're going to need our co-operation...
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Ron, one of the things to remember is that many Greeves will have never been registered, and a lot that were will have lost their computer registration when the dreaded Swansea incorporation occurred. I'm not suggesting any wholesale jiggery has occurred, but some owners may be reticent to go public, just in case their bike's details are, or could be, construed as "incorrect".

Comment

I think its bad form to do anything, or associate the gra with anything, without thier permission.!

Comment

Greeves Register.

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                          Please take up my suggestion of 3rd March and get the GRA Committee on board before you rush off too far down this road.

You're going to need our co-operation...
                          Completely support that Colin. (Good to hear from you mate. ) Dave's comments too.

Ron, why the urgency.....?

Personally, and speaking here as an ordinary GRA member, I would have no problems giving details of my own bike for a proposed register-once we've established how we're going to proceed that is, but I can fully appreciate and understand (for the reasons outlined in previous posts on this thread and others) members' reasons for possibly not wanting to do the same.

After all, people can do as they please with their own bikes, GRA members or not, and those wishes should be respected in my opinion. Their reasons for participating or not are irrelevant, whatever they may be.

Anyway, where's the harm in putting together a proposal for the next committee meeting before rushing into anything? After all, developing a register of known Greeves survivours is hardly a new idea....

To give you an example of my own experience, around the time of the GRA's 25th Anniversary (and as a new committee member) I proposed and managed a GRA Membership Survey, and the input and guidance I received from the committee, not to mention their combined experience, contributed immeasurably to a successful and worthwhile outcome. This was especially true in formulating the questions to ask in the flyer I designed for inclusion in 'Leading Link' and establishing the data that would be most beneficial to have at that time and for the future. It too was a lengthy and involved undertaking, but this forum is but one of several successful initiatives carried forward by the team from the results of that work, and the benefits it provides to members worldwide alone made it all well worth doing in my opinion. Seeing the first GRA Trial happen in a long time was also a very good thing....hope it's not the last.....

Due to this and other projects I've been involved in, I've discovered that (ahem.... ) patience is indeed a virtue with these things when it comes to the GRA Ron (), but it’s often for good reason(s).... Whilst I acknowledge your frank admission in a previous post that patience is something you sometimes 'struggle' with (and I know the feeling), rest assured it's usually worth the wait. Also, don’t forget that for 'most' of us this is a hobby after all, and other stuff goes on in people lives..... It’s a small club (relative to others) and people do what they can when they have a bit of time. But the GRA has survived for over 25 years and it’s still here, so someone must have been doing something right all this time....That's thanks to the dedication, passion and enthusiasm of the membership, and the hard work small group of individuals who represent their interests at officer and committee level, as well as those who help out in all the other ways.

For what it's worth I think it’s admirable that you stepped forward Ron, especially as a new member, and offer to contribute to the ongoing work already being done by other members on a register of Greeves known survivors, such as Rob’s efforts with the Silverstone models, John with the Eastcoasters, and now Stuart and Chris with their endeavours. Working together is certainly the way forward for those members who want to participate, but whilst acknowledging your ‘pedegree’ Ron, of which there are many such members in the GRA, ‘going through channels’ is not only important it’s also beneficial. Simply put, the right approach will pay dividends, and a bit of the old 'etiquette' and diplomacy does go a long way as I'm sure you'll know....

It’s also important to be inclusive with a project like this, and some GRA members rely on ‘Leading Link’ to keep up with club activities such as the one proposed, and that alone adds a certain amount of lead time as it did with the survey I conducted mentioned earlier. Following the time taken with initial planning and set up, I was still receiving responses in the post getting on for twelve months following publication of the flyer! It’s just the way it is and you’ve just gotta go with it sometimes, but the collated data proved extremely useful in informing committee thinking and activities and I know we got the best result we could have expected approaching it the way we did.

Of course, as GRA members we are all bound by the clubs' constitution and have a duty of care to operate within the guidlines laid out therein. They are there for a reason after all, otherwise we wouldn't need them.....

Brian.
                          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 12/03/2012, 08:02 PM. Reason: Review and tidy up.

Comment

Greeves Register

My Greeves Register forum certainly has generated some interest, mostly positive and it was always my intention to seek committee approval if this register was to be under the auspices of the GRA. There is of course nothing to stop me going ahead as a interested private individual but that is not my intention. The purpose of writing to all the classic bike magazines is to get the message out which will not happen tomorrow - all of these are monthly magazines and the next editions are no doubt in the can now.
                            I intend setting out my proposal to the Club Chairman this evening and hopefully he will take the matter forward for me to the committee.

Comment

Greeves Register

Can some send me Rob Thorntons email address to my pm or advise me what his nom de plume is in the GRA community

Comment

Greeves Register

For those of you who do not subscribe to the Old Bike Mart please find attached the article in last months issue on the Terrier/Tiger Cub Register

Comment

Working...
                                X