2T 3T 4T exhaust sealing rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2T 3T 4T exhaust sealing rings

As many of you will know, sealing the exhaust pipes to the cylinder barrels can be a problem, resulting in sticky black goo dripping from the joint, particularly on 4T engines.
    The problem is the composite ring gasket, originally these were made with asbestos filling but with that now banned, the replacement material used in these is not as good, this coupled with the size of repro ones being of smaller section results in a poor seal.
    I made some solid ones up or my 4T engine some time ago and after initial bedding in they do not leak, I made mine out of soft aluminium, but a alternative material would be copper. I attach a drawing for the ring, which you will see has a square profile thus giving a larger sealing area. Before fitting, and when refitting exhaust system, the copper ones should be annealed by heating on a gas ring to a dull red & quenching in water, this softens the copper so it beds in to make a good seal. This type of solid gasket can be used several times where as the old composite ring needs replacing each time the exhaust is dismantled.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 04/03/2024, 06:22 PM.

Thank you John that should solve another problem if I ever get running again.

Comment

Exhaust sealing rings

Sounds good John,just to say each time you re-use a copper ring it would help to anneal it again..............................starider

Comment

Lasermaster https://www.lasermaster.co.uk/easy-order can supply these in copper or aluminium. For aluminium, copper are 4 times as expensive and aluminium will do the same job, I have use alloy ones myself in a 4T engine with good results, no black goo, the prices are as follows:
        2 off £2.70 each
        4 off £2.34 each
        6 off £2.14 each
        prices include vat & postage.

Note Lasermaster will make other sizes of washers and other shapes
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 15/11/2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X