Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigantlet Scramble Race report

Where ? I here you say ???
    To be precise - Somewhere in Northern Ireland up in the hills near Belfast Harbour

Why ? I hear you say ?

Well that is a long story - you see Craig McCoo and his son Josh - founder members of the Belfast Greeves Scrambling club - often make the long pilgrimage over to the mainland to get their Greeves Scrambling fix with us - last time was the Mortimer Classic and 100 miler - so I thought why not return the compliment.

The original plan - hatched over a bottle of fine Irish Whiskey or two at the Mortimer was to head over for the two day BallyBlack event ......with racing Friday evening and Saturday ...but then the event was cancelled ...and entry sent in for the Grand National ......At the last minute a landowner came up with a new venue and I decided to head over for a romantic weekend away with my Wife to Belfast..........(Plus QUB on a trailer of course) .

The journey started last Thursday afternoon and took 5 hours to reach Birkenhead docks to get the overnight Stenna ferry to Belfast.

We had a good nights sleep , after several bottles of vino in the Stenna lounge (AKA Irish Sea Club) - we arrived early morning in Belfast. We caught up with Craig and family over a brew – and spent the day driving up the glorious coast road to see the Giants Causeway via lunch at the Bushmills inn.
    There are no words to describe the sheer beauty and exhilaration of that coastal drive – I will leave that one to travel writers – but it was a privilege to experience.
    Returning to Craigs place early evening it was time to get serious and prep bikes and practice riding in the garden……..Unfortunately I had my second off of the season on Craigs rare QUB Mk 11 – taking the tight right hand chicane between the rose bush and the rhododendrons ……Fortunately my body protected the bike from more than cosmetic damage……..and after that it was Monty trials riding and a pre-race BBQ .
    We awoke to a wet early morning on race day and proceeded in convoy to Craigantlet race track with 5 Greeves in tow
    The course was on a steep hill with a big uphill start and jump - tricky top of hill section and very technical downhill sweeping sections ………oh er what had I let myself into …
    We were surrounded by Maico and Red Rocket twinshocks…but attracted a lot of attention from riders and spectators all with Greeves memories.
    The track soon dried out and we had the most amazing day of racing - I rode 4 Greeves - Craigs QUB mk 1 and Mk 2 and 250 Griffon as well as my own QUB.
    We put Greeves on firmly back on the map in Northern Ireland beating many Maico’s, Huskies and Cz’s and I managed a 5th in the up to 77 class, a 6th in the up to 70 class as well as Craigs storming start in the 250 class where against mainly 80’s twinshock 250’s piloted his 250 Challenger to second round the first bend !! In total I did 12 races. But the highlight for me was the 500cc final where I lined up my QUB against about 30 twinshocks, mainly Mega Maico 490’s, Red Rockets with the odd Husky ….As I roared up the hill and flew over the jump ready for the right hander – I even had to brake to avoid piling into the front runners……I fought hard all round and finished about 12th - racing hard with one 490 maico who nearly brought me off as he lost control in-front of me on the fast left hander at the bottom of the hill .
    My abiding memory of the day and indeed the trip was great racing , even greater craic and comraderie - what a place to race a Greeves – I will be back next year !

Some pics to follow

Great job Kim in keeping the Greeves flag flying over there, it may spark a few new riders to jump ship onto the Jeeves machines, no camp fires to burn the motorhomes down i trust, great to have Craig and family aboard as they are really enthusiastic and can only bring the GRA into the limelight, great stuff Kim

Comment

Nice report Kim, we wondered why you were entered but didn't show at marks Tay. Sounds a full-on event with all those 'big boys'. Greatest respect for competing on, in comparison, under powered and out dated machinery, but of course doing it in the greatest of style. How did The Blarney and Son of Blarney get on?

Comment

Rather distressing to hear of yet more alcohol consumption mentioned alongside the name of Greeves. I think all 3 of you will be appearing before another GRA disciplinary hearing.

A further charge of reckless riding in a domestic garden may be added.

Also, igniting a BBQ without the GRA Fire Safety Officer in attendance. You will remember the essential role he played at Mortimer.

Sounds like you all had a great time, well done the 'Greeves Disciples' on putting it up those Twinshock things!

Well done Kim on making the trip, trust your wife enjoyed it

Even more well done on your trailer making it that far (and back I assume!).

Great to hear about Greeves being used and enjoyed for their original purpose!

Well done to all involved, great effort!

Comment

Cheers Rob
          Nothing was taken to chance ... Trailer overhauled , fine wines and whiskey selected and there was also a little bit of bike prep. I borrowed Craig's good pro for the 500 grand final so will post some exciting Griffon mixing it footage soon....

We missed u at the BBQ ... It was way too safe !!
          Soggy ref your enquiry on MCCorset and Son ( aka) Blarney and son ... Well Josh failed a late fitness test ... Yes really ... He got a reaction to his case of Mortimer shoulder after the pre race trials riding . in the end he didn't race but was a great help in the pits sorting out any of 5 Greeves before and after races ... We could not have done do much riding without Josh's help ... As for Craig he was Barnstorming in bursts , loads of Greeves showboating on track and in the pits .... The Pit Craic was outstanding .... He rode a stunning 250 all comers race beating me ( I
          Was on his 250) he was in the challenger and also raced the Mk2 as well as many other good challenger rides

Comment

Great report

Enjoyed your report very much Kim..

Sounds like a brilliant weekend!

And we'll done to the pair of you for fighting against very tough opposition.. Those twinshock boys are generally mental

I was fighting my 250 iron barreled Hawkstone to a 2nd 3rd and 4th in the pre60 unlimited cc Percy Tawn championship...that's with a near two years of hibernation....I was chuffed to say the least...

Regards

Scott

Comment

Some pictures before I form a defence against Judge Rob.
              Attached Files

Comment

Drink, crashing, racing
                Attached Files

Comment

more evidence
                  Attached Files

Comment

Great pics Craig, thanks for sharing. Of particular note is the last one of number 47 storming ahead of 275. Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Welly View Post
                      Great pics Craig, thanks for sharing. Of particular note is the last one of number 47 storming ahead of 275. Just sayin'
                      47 bring rapidly caught by 275😂👍
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X