Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24MDS barrel / megaphone bolts to stud mod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24MDS barrel / megaphone bolts to stud mod.

Hi chaps,
    Happy new Year to all.
    I have 1963 24 MDS with the megaphone set up but looking to replace the current two exhaust retaining bolts with studs so as to avoid barrel thread damage, anyone done this and have stud size / thread details ?
    Thanks in anticipation Ken.

Ken, As far as I am aware, the standard arrangement was 2 x 1/4" BSW studs plus sleeve nuts to hold on the exhaust. The sleeve nuts can then be drilled and lockwired to prevent them working loose (which they are prone to do). Sorry, I can't confirm this as I don't have the drawings to hand at the moment.

Comment

Thanks.

Thanks for your input Rob.
      Will source some studs and nuts to suit.
      If you happen to find drawings that would be great but if not no problem.
      Many thanks Ken.

Comment

This company can supply 1/4 Whitworth studs of various lengths

Comment

Thanks.

Hi John,
          Thanks for the link to a stud supplier and great that they have a wide range of products to choose from.
          Will be a very useful contact.
          Cheers Ken.

Comment

On my Silverstone the 1/4-20 exhaust studs are actually long set (grub) screws with a hex. socket. I believe hex. socket set screws are grade 8 strength, so much stronger than regular studs plus the hex. socket makes them easy to screw in and tighten down.

The hex. nuts used are probably about 1/2" long, although I don't have one in front of me at the moment, long enough that they extend past the end of the set screws. As Rob says, they are cross drilled close enough to the outer end that the lock wire can go straight through without interference from the end of the screws, so the two nuts can be lock wired together.

Stan

Comment

Thanks.

Thanks for your response Stan.
              I like the idea of the grub screw.
              Always like a pic if you have one.
              Thanks & regards Ken.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Nicholson View Post
                On my Silverstone the 1/4-20 exhaust studs are actually long set (grub) screws with a hex. socket. I believe hex. socket set screws are grade 8 strength, so much stronger than regular studs plus the hex. socket makes them easy to screw in and tighten down.

The hex. nuts used are probably about 1/2" long, although I don't have one in front of me at the moment, long enough that they extend past the end of the set screws. As Rob says, they are cross drilled close enough to the outer end that the lock wire can go straight through without interference from the end of the screws, so the two nuts can be lock wired together.

Stan
                Got to be careful you don't strip the thread in the alloy barrel, though...
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Exhaust stud and (slightly knackered) sleeve nut.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks.

Cheers Kevin,
                    A picture tells a thousand stories.
                    Regards Ken.

Comment

Working...
                    X