Challenger 24MX3 frame numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trialrider17 View Post
    Hi Colin ,thanks for that is your bike a UK model.
    Pretty rapid combo then.
    Regards Simon
    Yes I believe it is a UK model, bought as a total wreck back in 2005 from a guy in Preston.
    It also states on the V5C that is declared manufacture of 1963.
    It came with a number plate but no chair thankfully

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      I have so far recorded these 24MX3 survivors

24MX1025 restored UK
      24MX31034 restored UK
      24MX3A1146 USA 4/16
      24MX3A1272 Bonhams 10/15 UK
      24MX3B1001 your bike Simon
      24MXC1039 basket case UK
      24MX3A1353 frame only eBay 11/15 UK

That is it so far, there seems to be a variety of number letter combinations, some may have letters missing as some were passed to me by owners who may have omitted these or made typos in their emails
      I think that puts paid to my thought that they might have started at 900. 1272 and 1353 are not in the UK dispatch records although the sequence goes past them.

Looks like the factory built them up to the US spec as orders came in, stamped them 24MX3A 1*** and packed them off abroad.

This of course explains the gaps in the sequence - and gives a good clue as to factory practice for any exported bikes - which could be a help with authenticating re-imported bikes.
      Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 02/01/2018, 10:24 AM.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

I've now re-entered onto a new spreadsheet the frame numbers and details of the UK MX3's in the dispatch record with the numbers in sequence. The dispatch record runs in the order that orders were received, so the numbers and dispatch dates are a jumble.

If you leave a slot for every possible frame number between the first and last on record you find that there are indeed gaps, some of them sizeable. The interesting thing is that the larger gaps are multiples of 10, so could equate to large US orders.

Another clue is that the one US bike we do know for certain is 24MX3 B 1001, and of course that one would start the sequence nicely. This suggests that numbers were allocated regardless of whether they were for export or UK delivery.

I think we may be onto something here - if I'm right it might be possible to get a much better handle on Greeves total production and on numbers produced of individual models.

It's an exercise that I'd like to tackle, although it will take a long time. But first I need to test the theory.

So please could anybody in a country other than the UK with an MX3 let me know the frame number so I can see if it fits into any of the gaps.

By the way, and to answer the original question, if I'm right, there were 370 24MX3's produced, 200 are on the UK dispatch record (including three that went to Dublin, which wasn't in the UK last time I looked, but never mind...).

This implies exported 24MX3's totalled 170.

There is probably a very small margin of error there, no record is perfect.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Great info Colin thank you ,looks like that will keep you busyfor a while.Not as many went to the US as I thought .You will see 24MX3B1001 in the flesh at Shepton .
          Regards Simon.
          PS mine is the long wheelbase model but thats another story
          Last edited by trialrider17; 31/12/2017, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Would it be possible for someone to put Colin`s request for export 24MX3's frame numbers on the Greeves Enthusiast Facebook site (I'm not on facebook) .
            Thank you Simon
            Last edited by trialrider17; 31/12/2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Not directly related to your quest simon, but on the subject of production numbers, i asked Rob to try & source some info on an original 24mx4, although he could not help me, he came up with some info.
              The bike in question, had a frame number that was missing from the home production list, & Rob presumed it was an export bike.
              So i sought info from Dave Harper, who after a few days of searching through his detailed records, came up with all the info on the bike, engine/gearbox/ numbers & where the bike went ( a dealer in the uk ).
              He also told me that total production numbers total 192 units.
              As it stands the home record shows 32 bikes sold in the uk, so this is clearly not correct as there are other batches of frame numbers missing on the list that were presumbed to have been exported, which probably took a similiar route to mine, ie for some reason, were uk bikes, but not on the home list.
              Probably indescrepancies like this all through the range, so never a true record of numbers produced for the home or export market.

Comment

As one of the mods for the FB page, I have added that appeal.
                Last edited by Brian Catt; 31/12/2017, 09:21 PM.

Comment

24mx3

I have an MX3 in my collection here in Australia.
                  This machine was imported to Australia from the US some years ago.

The frame number is 24MX3 B1662.It has "Made in England" stamped under the number.

Thanks,
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by rarpos7; 05/01/2018, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Mx3

There has been some imported back to the uk
                    I have one will get frame number next week

Comment

I have one with 24MX257. I think its an early MX2 but some say a late MX1.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Greeves MX

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
                        I have one with 24MX257. I think its an early MX2 but some say a late MX1.
                        I believe that this would be one of the first MX1 models produced in 1964.

I have 24MX194 and 24MX415 in my possession, and both are believed to be MX1, 1964 models.

Thanks,
                        Last edited by rarpos7; 05/01/2018, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rarpos7 View Post
                          I have an MX3 in my collection here in Australia.
                          This machine was imported to Australia from the US some years ago.

The frame number is 24MX3 B1662.

Thanks,
                          Oh dear, looks like my theory may be knackered from the start, that's a higher number than the highest on the UK dispatch record and, if numbers continued in sequence, that there were at least another 350. Or Greeves didn't number right through in sequence and that the UK record gaps are just that. Gaps.

Let's see if any more appear.

Thanks for the other replies, folks, I'm just looking at MX3s for the minute, I'll look at other models once I'm convinced the exercise is going to tell us something useful.
                          Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 01/01/2018, 09:34 AM.
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Via FB.
                            24 MX3 B1414 reporting home from down under in New Zealand. Snoozing In boxes awaiting a wakeup call to the lazy bugger who tore me down.... Bottom frame rails cut about a bit intending to be a Grumph but ultimately we'll be bog standard again. Cheers. Allan Burgess.

Comment

24MX3D1626......we bought this off Frank at the Greeves Days we attended....she’s missing wheels and forks but we’ve fired her up a few times.....she’s patiently waiting her turn in the project corner From Tammy.

Comment

Brian thanks for posting Colins request on facebook.Hi Dave hope you are well ,these Challenger frame number are a bit confusing sure Colin will sort out
                                I may be wrong but did Greeves stamp "made in england" under the frame number on export models? this may help with numbers.
                                I also have another number from auction in 2008 -24MX3C1181.
                                Thanks for all the info Simon

Comment

Working...
                                X