X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA Authentications

DVLA Authentications

As you may have heard, Colin Sparrow has taken over as DVLA Authentication Officer from John Collard who has decided to relinquish the role after many years of service. The GRA expresses its sincere thanks to John for quietly carrying out this tricky task (and a good many others too!) from the very beginnings of the club in 1984.

The Committee has reviewed the service provided and has agreed that the nature of the service will, for now, continue much as before.

The main part of the service is to provide the necessary machine identification and dating documentation to accompany applications for registration by the DVLA. This is required both for recovery of original numbers and applications for age-related numbers.

Although we will not be making applications to DVLA on behalf of members, as part of the service we will offer advice and identify the forms needed depending on the details of the application.

The GRA will:

• Identify, inspect and date machine.

• Provide Dating Certificate.

• Endorse and return V765 form (application to recover original number) - if required.

GRA policy is:

All machines will be subject to inspection by GRA-nominated examiner.

Only complete machines will be inspected.

This is because the DVLA set criteria for allowing age-related or recovered numbers which require them to be satisfied that the machine exists, is complete and has original major components.

Also please note that additional rules apply to heavily modified machines or machines built up from components from a number of different machines.

Applicants will required to provide a clear photo of each side of the machine, plus a photo or rubbing of the frame number and hand them to the examiner at the time of the inspection.

Unless otherwise agreed, the applicant must take the machine to the examiner’s address.
    If the examiner agrees to travel to carry out the inspection, the applicant is responsible for reimbursing his reasonable expenses.

A fee will be charged for all Dating Certificates and endorsements.
    For applications made from 1st January 2018 and until further notice the fee is £10 for GRA members, £20 for non-members.

Dating Certificates will only be obtainable from the GRA Authentications Officer.

Initiating the Process:

The first contact with the Authentication Officer should be made by writing to explain briefly what is required and including contact details to:

Colin Sparrow, Ash Tree House, Spring Close,
    Gislingham, Eye, Suffolk IP23 8GZ.

Alternatively contact Colin by email on colinsparrow@btinternet.com

Please do not try to make the initial contact by telephone.

Colin will then write to you promptly to get the process under way.

Frame Number Enquiries:

The most accurate way to identify an individual Greeves model is by the frame number. Colin holds the original factory dispatch records. A further copy is held by Peter Smith.

If you write or email to Colin or Peter with a clear rubbing or photograph of the frame number, either will look up your machine in the dispatch record and, provided it appears in that record, will email or post an identification of the model with its original engine number, its dispatch date and the dealer to which it was sent.

If writing, please enclose a stamped addressed envelope.

Please note that, as the factory export records were unfortunately lost when the factory closed, no information is available for the many machines which were exported.

Colin’s address and email are shown above. Peter’s address is: 1 Poplar Crescent, Ashbourne, Derbyshire DE6 1HY. His email address is jillsmith52@hotmail.com.

This service is free to GRA members only. Only one free member enquiry is allowed per membership year (June-May). A £10 charge will be made for each further enquiry in the same year. All enquiries from non-members will be charged at £20.

Frame number enquiries will not generate a DVLA-eligible Dating Certificate.
    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 27/11/2017, 10:13 AM.
    Colin Sparrow

The preceding post is a report which will appear in the next Leading Link.

I have just received confirmation of my accreditation with the DVLA, so have now fully taken over this role from John Collard. Thanks again, John, for all past efforts.

Rob Thornton has also been accredited as backup.

I'll make this a sticky thread so it's easy to find.

Wish me luck..!
    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 27/11/2017, 10:09 AM.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Good luck in the new role and I hope things run smoothly. Do we call you "New Druid" now?

Comment

Dvla

Would 'Moorland Druid' or Moorland Blue Druid' be appropriate ? Mike

Comment

Good luck in your new role Colin. I shall be needing your services at some point!

Comment

Congratulations Colin, will you be at the The 38th Carole Nash Bristol Classic Motorcycle Show on Feb 3rd?
            My 325 East Coaster will be on the Greeves stand and needs a dating certificate ready for registration.

Comment

I posted most of Colin's original post to the Greeves Enthusiasts page on Face book and between several of us have developed some ideas. My first thought was that Colin's location is a bit remote for people coming long distances, so maybe we could arrange "Half-way Houses" where a mutual meeting can take place to reduce either Colin or the member driving hundreds of miles each way. I appreciate that Rob will be a Deputy, but we have also had an offer from a well-respected member to do some of the "leg-work" in the initial Authentication process.
              So question 1, is the process and Authentication limited to Colin and Rob, or can others assist? Q2, would the Half-way House bit be of value to the process?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                I posted most of Colin's original post to the Greeves Enthusiasts page on Face book and between several of us have developed some ideas. My first thought was that Colin's location is a bit remote for people coming long distances, so maybe we could arrange "Half-way Houses" where a mutual meeting can take place to reduce either Colin or the member driving hundreds of miles each way. I appreciate that Rob will be a Deputy, but we have also had an offer from a well-respected member to do some of the "leg-work" in the initial Authentication process.
                So question 1, is the process and Authentication limited to Colin and Rob, or can others assist? Q2, would the Half-way House bit be of value to the process?
                Brian
                The club would need hundreds of inspectors to cover the whole country, if you live in a remote part of Scotland or Wales or on an island your nearest inspector could be hundreds of miles away. Why do the GRA insist on inspecting bikes themselves, other clubs do it via motor cycle shops, MoT stations etc. At the end of the day, if there is a query, the DVLA will send an inspector, at no added cost to the applicant. So why do bikes need inspecting twice?

Comment

Congratulations Colin!!.................starider:

Comment

John, you have not answered either of the questions which were put for Colin to ponder. Until the Club (Colin and Rob) decide how this job will be split, we need not pre-empt their decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                      John, you have not answered either of the questions which were put for Colin to ponder. Until the Club (Colin and Rob) decide how this job will be split, we need not pre-empt their decisions.
                      Under existing rules, inspections are done by a small band of GRA members in addition to the DVLA authenticators (Rob & Colin). So I assume that arrangement will remain. I was one myself a few years ago until I relinquished the post as I was not prepared to operate it the way the GRA wanted at the time.

Comment

Yes, so we have to wait until the current regime is settled and decide how they want to run the show.

Comment

Thanks for all the input, folks. The Committee along with those previously used by John Collard have been most helpful in enabling me to cover a fair bit of the country.

Scotland might be a problem, also Northern Ireland, but we'll jump that one when it occurs.

Every case is different, I don't wish to be tied to fixed arrangements, I need to retain flexibility.

Don't worry, it'll be fine...
                          Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 29/11/2017, 11:39 AM.
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                            Congratulations Colin, will you be at the The 38th Carole Nash Bristol Classic Motorcycle Show on Feb 3rd?
                            My 325 East Coaster will be on the Greeves stand and needs a dating certificate ready for registration.
                            Yes Tony I will be at Shepton Mallett and would be happy to inspect your bike there. If you email me with your current address on colinsparrow@btinternet.com I'll get the initial paperwork to you.
                            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Just bumping this thread as some people don't seem to be aware of it (or don't read Leading Link).

As a reminder:

If you want a bike authenticating to support an application to DVLA for registration, please email me on colinsparrow@btinternet.com or write to my address which is in every Leading Link with your name, full address and telephone number.

I will write to you to get the process started. Don't try to do anything else in the meantime.

Bear in mind that your bike will have to be taken for inspection, so you need to be able to transport it.
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                              X