Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISDT ??? For sale

From the Greeves Enthusiast Page on FB
    This ISDT belongs to my father in law who is terminally ill and I need a valuation on it. First registered in 1963 with 24TE3** frame number. Purchased by him in 2001 and stored in a heated garage. Fully rebuilt when he purchased it and has not been used since, what a waste! I would appreciate some guidance please.

I have asked for history. Will report what comes back.
    Attached Files

6 previous owners, but no history. Came from Robertsbridge.

Comment

Will be interesting to learn the history as it appears to be a standard TE according to the Oracle.

So, opens minds at this stage. A privateer maybe.

Comment

No history and he admits the ISDT bit was a mistake, but that's what his father-in-law called it for some reason.

Comment

Engine looks original the number 453D2960 was supplied to Greeves for the TE TES & TFS so bike should be traceable from that. Can you ask him what reg number is to see if its a well known one from a works rider. Nice original condition with the correct hard to find chrome silencer. I would put value at £2500 to £3000.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 27/05/2017, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Ive never seen that sort of 'tie bar' arrangement/strut thing that is bolted to the cradle. My TE certainly doesn't have it and I can't find it on pictures of other Scottish bikes. Does it serve a purpose, and was it a one-off (Ive been told by a reputable source that Greeves constantly added and modified frames to the point that even identical model types can vary)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkM View Post
              Ive never seen that sort of 'tie bar' arrangement/strut thing that is bolted to the cradle. My TE certainly doesn't have it and I can't find it on pictures of other Scottish bikes. Does it serve a purpose, and was it a one-off (Ive been told by a reputable source that Greeves constantly added and modified frames to the point that even identical model types can vary)
              I assume you mean the tubes running round under crankcase, which are rock guards. The vertical 'strut' is a prop stand. All genuine Greeves parts.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                I assume you mean the tubes running round under crankcase, which are rock guards. The vertical 'strut' is a prop stand. All genuine Greeves parts.
                Yes, rock guards - were these an optional extra as Ive not seen them on other bikes

Comment

Searching history.

I have recently purchased the Greeves 24TE origional reg. no: 8540 PJ that you have been commenting on previously. Thanks for replys from Rob and John Wakefield. How would I go about finding out if the bike was riden by Comerfords or by a privateer? Bike rides nice after being in storage but not without complete engine rebuild!

Comment

Originally posted by Anzani man
                    I have recently purchased the Greeves 24TE origional reg. no: 8540 PJ that you have been commenting on previously. Thanks for replys from Rob and John Wakefield. How would I go about finding out if the bike was riden by Comerfords or by a privateer? Bike rides nice after being in storage but not without complete engine rebuild!
                    do you mean you had to re-bulid it before you could ride it? what were the problems?

Comment

Bought the bike on the assumption that it had been rebuilt, sounded a little pingy ?rings! Clean bike bought it any way. Twelve hour trip, at home for 10 mins, bike in bits. Lot of piston slap, broken top ring. Good old Villiers services, rebore & new piston, new throtle slide. Big end & little end seemed fine. Back together still had slight rattle. A few miles, now sounding like little end rattle. In bits again, engine and crank case back to Villiers services, con rod kit & complete bottom end overhaul. Back together, wish I had used better piston or tighter tollerences as still abit of piston slap. But enjoying trying to ballance at 2mph. instead of flying around at 170mph!
                      PS. Anyone got a 32A barrel?

Comment

Originally posted by Anzani man View Post
                        Bought the bike on the assumption that it had been rebuilt, sounded a little pingy ?rings! Clean bike bought it any way. Twelve hour trip, at home for 10 mins, bike in bits. Lot of piston slap, broken top ring. Good old Villiers services, rebore & new piston, new throtle slide. Big end & little end seemed fine. Back together still had slight rattle. A few miles, now sounding like little end rattle. In bits again, engine and crank case back to Villiers services, con rod kit & complete bottom end overhaul. Back together, wish I had used better piston or tighter tollerences as still abit of piston slap. But enjoying trying to ballance at 2mph. instead of flying around at 170mph!
                        PS. Anyone got a 32A barrel?
                        Sad to hear that, still a good learning curve (will be asking you for advice when I need to strip mine

Comment

Working...
                        X