Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One from Italy!

Hi Brian,

I promised I would send you some information about my Greeves Anglian. Sorry, I am very late because I had a very busy start of the year.

I am sending you a link to my website with photos of the Anglian.

Here below we have translated a few notes about 'her' story.

Hope you find them interesting! Looking forward being in touch again.

Cheers

Augusto Grasso
    -------------------

My Greeves Anglian 250 protagonist at the Six Days of San Pellegrino in 1968

In the 250 CC class there are 150 participants, of which only 76 will end the Six Days.
    18 Greeves motorbikes are at the start line with pilots of three nationalities: 14 English, 2 Italians, 2 Dutch, of which 12 will retire and 6 will complete the competition. One gold, three silver and two bronze medals. Respectively: gold to Fritz Selling (NL, N. 102); silver to John Pease (GB, No. 124), to Malcolm Rathmell (GB, No. 139), future world trial champion, and to Arthur Browning (GB, No. 71); bronze to Brian David Messenger (GB, N. 115) and to Domenico Rege (IT, N. 81) driving a Greeves which eventually will become my bike.

Domenico Rege made some special adjustments to the bike for the Six Days: he fitted the original high front fender kit replacing the lower front fender and replaced the fiberglass tank with a metal tank of greater capacity in which he also obtained a compartment for tools. The tank was recovered by a "Parilla" motorcycle. He mounted a cross piston a bit more performing than the trial one and a wider saddle (now lost).
    The original punches of the Six Days with the race number 81 still appear on the bike.

The choice of the trial bike was decisive on the first day of the race, for which an engine with a particular low-rev range and a weighted flywheel, as well as a very short first and second gear, was particularly appropriate because it snowed. In this way, Rege succeeded in completing the hardest day of the whole Six Days, something not all the riders were able to. This allowed him, with a prudent driving strategy and carefully dosing his forces in the following days, to complete the competition. Particularly burdensome and difficult was the replacement of the air chamber of the front wheel, in the snow, with makeshift tools and "frozen" hands. Among other things, during the dismantling phase a wheel spacer was lost in the snow, the finding of which was very difficult.
    ---------------
    I have replied to him asking for the frame number and I'll ad that on the Survivor's List when he sends it.
    Last edited by Brian Catt; 23/02/2018, 04:45 PM.

Interesting bike, nicely converted

Comment

Working...
    X