Side stand 1958 Greeves Scottish 20TA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side stand 1958 Greeves Scottish 20TA

Can members help me, I'm after a side stand for the bike, there is one on e-bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/greeves-mo...oAAOSwHpRZeN2R I've asked the seller, who says he or she is not sure whether it fits in between the engine plates or onto the swinging arm - he just makes them. My frame has two short tubular sections, on the engine plates, set at a slight angle off the perpendicular. I assume this is where the top tube of the side stand would bolt through - any clues or ideas welcome.
    Thanks

Side stand

Hi this stand will not fit a 1958 Scottish the stand you require fits between the engine plates
    Keep a eye on this seller Duncan at parkwood products as he will be listing the stand you require very soon
    Hope this helps
    Gary

Comment

Hi the sidestand you need looks and fits and like this.
      Simon
      sorry about the angle of photos.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by trialrider17; 19/08/2017, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Gary, thank for that - will keep an eye on the site.
        Simon, good looking installation - thanks, a photo is worth a thousand words.

Comment

Just out of interest, can the stand that fits between the frame plates be modified to fit a TE, the centre version seems a much better way of fitting the stand and I don't know why they put it on the side of later models, unless to save some weight and production costs

Comment

The TE/TES/TFS engine plates have a plate welded underneath so the stand can only be fitted to the outside ,the TA/TC have single plates so stand can be fitted in between them.

Comment

Scottish stand

I see the stand is now listed on eBay parkwood product making useful parts
              Gary

Comment

Gary - Many thanks, Alison also e-mailed me this morning.

Comment

Scottish side stand

Thanks to all who have provided this info re Scottish side stands. I have one for my '62 model TD and the question relates to the front pick up point for the spring which unfortunately is just off the picture somebody kindly posted. I have found what I think is the point welded onto the engine plate but it is a straight piece of bar with apparently nothing to stop the spring sliding off. My question is this - is this correct or has the end (hook?) been cut off. If it's correct why doesnt the spring come off?
                  Thanks in advance for any help/advice. I have all the bits and have just ordered a long BSF bolt for the stand/bush to pivot on.

Many apologies : Having now cleaned all the mud and oily residues off the engine plates have found there is in fact a groove in the pin mentioned. Doesnt look much but could hardly get the spring off once I had put it on the pin! Found the bolt wouldnt line up to go through the angled bosses until I slackened off the engine plate bolts after which it went in nicely. Tightened the plates up with the bolt in place.
                  Last edited by 350biker; 31/01/2018, 11:59 PM.
                  Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

Originally posted by 350biker View Post
                    Scottish side stand

Thanks to all who have provided this info re Scottish side stands. I have one for my '62 model TD and the question relates to the front pick up point for the spring which unfortunately is just off the picture somebody kindly posted. I have found what I think is the point welded onto the engine plate but it is a straight piece of bar with apparently nothing to stop the spring sliding off. My question is this - is this correct or has the end (hook?) been cut off. If it's correct why doesnt the spring come off?
                    Thanks in advance for any help/advice. I have all the bits and have just ordered a long BSF bolt for the stand/bush to pivot on.

Many apologies : Having now cleaned all the mud and oily residues off the engine plates have found there is in fact a groove in the pin mentioned. Doesnt look much but could hardly get the spring off once I had put it on the pin! Found the bolt wouldnt line up to go through the angled bosses until I slackened off the engine plate bolts after which it went in nicely. Tightened the plates up with the bolt in place.

Hi I also have a TDS which I am trying to fit a side stand to, do you have any pics of yours. The stand is the bent on that fits between engine plates. Where did you pick up spring and plate shown in pictures previous ? Kind regards

Comment

You may find the answer in this thread https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...ish-side-stand
                      Always worth a search as these questions have usually been asked before

Comment

Cheers John, you are a gent !

Comment

Used to have one of those hanging in the garage.....I will have a look to see if its still there.

Comment

Only been in this house 30 years, think the stand came when we moved in & its still there!, but no good as it is as it has holes drilled in it at a stress point and would probably break the first time it was used- however, it could be repaired or used a pattern to fabricate a new one. There is also rear mudguard support loop, female thread exhaust (?) mounting point one side, but with a broken fixing eye at the front. If they are of any use let me know.

Comment

Working...
                            X