No announcement yet.

My 1960 24TCS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blimey, £100! You'd be lucky to find a side stand for a TCS for that money these days! Even 20 years ago that was still cheap.

You're abolutely right though, anything over 20C and I'm gasping! My ancestors are all from cold climates, Scotland and Eastern Europe, so around 14-18C is perfect for me. Its kinder to an old iron-barreled Villiers too!

My 9-year old daughter has her own motorbike, that's not unusual is it?

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Last edited by Andy Z; 31/03/2015, 04:28 PM.

Comment

WHBs - 37C - no wonder your motor got a bit hot! At that temp in Brighton (next hottest part of UK after Bournemouth, alledgedly) iron barrels start to wilt, never mind the man.

You chaps are starting to reveal far too much info about family - those with daughters (and especially more than 1) how on earth do you a) have any money left over for yourself, and b) have any free time?

Anyway keep the blue sky photos coming so we can see how the other half live.

Andy(B3 - new nomenclature!)

Comment

Trial Cancelled.
        To much rain. Area flooding.
        120mm in two days

whitehillbillies

Comment

Fair weather riders only in Oz?
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Fair weather riders only in Oz?
            No Colin.
            You lot would wash away with the rain we can get.
            8 to 10 INCHES of rain, is good soaking rain for us.
            Problem being the main road had cause ways, which will be under water.
            Its not we don't want to go. More we cant get there.
            worst I experienced was 24 INCHES in 48 HRS.
            we flooded good then !!!!
            Will have to look for some pics.

whitehillbillies

Comment

My Old James,
              Old inner tube covered air cleaner.
              Swimming.

whitehillbillies
              Attached Files

Comment

Had a good day today.
                Finished my first trial of the year.
                Bike ran well with the new jetting set up.
                Total of 3 on my last lap.
                Middle child Taz spent the day observing section 6, a tight turn, around a tree.
                Only cleaned it once, last lap.
                Previous lap a 5, stalled. wound up the idle screw, half a turn and a clean.
                Jeans, check shirt, gardening gloves, and old Rossi buckle up boots.
                Taz wanted to know when I was going to get some riding Tights !!!!

whitehillbillies
                Attached Files
                Last edited by whitehillbillies; 14/06/2015, 10:27 AM.

Comment

WHBs - good to hear you are having some success and with an appropriate dress sense.

I too have finally had a success on the 4th outing with my TDS. It completed the recent GRA trial without asking to go home early. Pity the rider has now become the weak link - he was always going to be in reality but a couple of steep, muddy side slopes really defeated me.

Thats all the good news I have to report - I'm now sitting here typing 1 fingered having had an encounter of the wrong kind with a large red deer.
                  Riding across the Ashdown Forest in Sussex the dam thing jumped out of the ferns directly onto my front wheel/handlebars smashing both hands and wiping me out.

I think its fair to say that I've been lucky, since the rest of me is undamaged but all my riding gear is trashed. Once the ambulance boys had scraped me off the road the jokes about venison steaks started. The poor old BSA A7 is looking a bit sorry for itself and will have to wait maybe 6-8 weeks for some attention before my hands are usable again.

Comment

My sympathy with the deer encounter, its bad enough these days avoiding the idiots in cars who pull out of side turnings etc. but these deer are another more serious matter. There seems to be increasing numbers & whilst in the passed you would expect to encounter some in areas like the New Forest they are now encroaching into urban areas.

Comment

Hard Trial ( for me anyway )

Sunday Trial write up.

Have to wash the bike now !!!! Not the sort of action shot I wanted.
                      Scores read out at the end of Trial, ' and with the Bradman score of "

whitehillbillies

Comment

Better action shot

whitehillbillies
                        Attached Files

Comment

carby woes

Had a good ride at the SQTA easter trial.
                          Decided to only ride the Sunday, which after a coupe of big storms the Saturday night made things interesting, as sections had become wet, muddy and slippery.
                          The TCS preformed quite well lap one, but lap two started to have fuel problems.
                          I live at sea level, the river a mile or so away is tidal.
                          Canungra, where the trial is located is quite high, maybe 500 to 600 m above sea level.
                          The bike preform well at home, but start to knock a round idle, to midrange when climbing further up hill to sections.
                          I richened up the idle screw and needle a little, which seemed to help.
                          Stopping and letting to bike cool, helped and the decent, things seem to return to normal for the lower sections.
                          I will check to point and timing again.
                          Any thought on this ????
                          During the Scottish did rider have to tweek the carby, the higher up they went, or was it all rode on standard settings ?
                          I think I have to get new parts for my S25 carby.
                          Who does parts for these.
                          I checked the slide in the bore, and it seems to have no or very little play at idle and full position.
                          Forgot to check midrange.
                          I think I filed an old one to match the cutaway of the std one ? That Broke in half. It had the knob type choke lever. We don't need choke here in northern NSW.
                          So slides, which two should I get.
                          A new 35 idle jet.
                          A new needle, or 2. Which ones. Also where the needle slides in, is this a replacement bush ?
                          Maybe a new float, I use the longer fuel needle, doing away with having to set the float height.
                          Should I replace this and the seat.I thought a gentle tap reseated these.
                          Some new main jets, I made my 130 one with solder and a needle, halving the mark between how far it slid in the 125 one and 135 one then push to that mark in the soldered hole.
                          I have new gasket sets, so will put a new set.
                          Any thing else to check/replace.
                          Thanks for your replies and comments.

Whitehillbillies
                          Last edited by whitehillbillies; 27/03/2016, 11:36 PM.

Comment

The SSDT never went to heights of 500 to 600 metres, (1650 to 1980ft) the highest mountain in Scotland is Ben Nevis at 1343 ft (400 metres) & the trial never went up there. So carburation due to height would not have been a problem.
                            With regards your carburation problem, before you go buying new parts for the carb you need to do a plug test, ie give the bike a good hard run, kill the motor & check spark plug. Should be a nice chocolate brown colour, if its white then too weak & oily black too rich. You should then change main jet to get it right. Once main jet is right then you can fine tune the rest of the range by raising or lowering the needle. Pilot jet & air screw only come into effect at very low revs/throttle openings & wont compensate for incorrect needle setting or main jet size. If at the end you need some parts then its Villiers Services here in the good old UK. Standard parts for the S25 carb on a 32A/37A are as follows.
                            Main jet 140
                            Pilot 35
                            Needle 3 1/2 (set out 1.85")
                            Throttle slide 4
                            Last edited by John Wakefield; 28/03/2016, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks John,
                              The throttle slide came from Villiers Services 20 years ago.
                              It is stamped STD, no number.
                              would this have been a No4, as this is what I trimmed an old one to ????

whitehillbillies

Comment

Sorry no idea, Villiers only fitted two slides to the S25, a No3 & 4 (the 3 was specified for a 31A engine). Might be a good idea to order both if you are going to buy new parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X