Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The main problem is how to get the first bush out

Comment

Mark M, the job(s) you need doing will have been done by, or for, a number of members. When you get a particular problem, it is best to ask specific advice and if you cannot do the job yourself, then ask on here and you will get advice on the way forward. The companies who advertise in the LL are well-known to us and will provide good service.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
        Mark M, the job(s) you need doing will have been done by, or for, a number of members. When you get a particular problem, it is best to ask specific advice and if you cannot do the job yourself, then ask on here and you will get advice on the way forward. The companies who advertise in the LL are well-known to us and will provide good service.
        Thanks Brian - will do

Comment

Good news, the frame and swingarm have finally parted company. Just like you said Phil, a copper drift and a well sized hammer helped. As did the good soak of WD40 suggested below,

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
          Glad you like the book, Jim. The answer to your question is in there. The 24TGS had a light grey frame. Pages 144 and 147 refer.

Regarding my answer to your original query, good squirts of WD40 on the spindle and left overnight wouldn't hurt...
          I must come clean Colin and admit I had skipped forward a few years and found those pages. Unfortunately my bike hasn't even got a hint of grey paint on it just a dark blue. Is it possible my bike was blue from the factory or has it had a really good reprint in its past.

Comment

Well done with the spindle, knocking it out does feel a bit like abuse, doesn't it?

I would very much endorse the comments about renewing the bushes while you've got it apart. The right bushes (part no. RB3973) are available from Robush ltd, Gull Lane, Grundisburgh, Suffolk IP13 6RN, 01473 738569 for around £25 the pair. No need to mess about adapting Land Rover components.

Regarding the frame paint, a lot can happen in 50 years. A proper restoration takes the frame back to bare metal. For example there isn't a speck of blue paint under the black powder coating on my newly restored 24TFS.
            Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 06/06/2017, 09:19 AM.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

I have just done a search for that part number on the Robush website, as it is not in their list of bushes, and it comes back as 'nothing found'. Any ideas? I will be wanting them for a TE and MDS.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                I have just done a search for that part number on the Robush website, as it is not in their list of bushes, and it comes back as 'nothing found'. Any ideas? I will be wanting them for a TE and MDS.

Ian
                Best to contact them Ian, maybe part number has changed, make sure you have the sizes of the bush you require before you ring (or email them)

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post

Ian
                  That number is as quoted on their sales receipt dated 29.02.16.

I took the old bushes in to them and they measured them up and supplied new ones. They are nice people and very helpful. John Fryatt pressed the bushes in for me and they're just fine.

Jim, not too far for you, coming from Thetford.

Face to face is best. Finding them can be interesting though...
                  Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 06/06/2017, 10:59 AM.
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks for that Colin. In my case, from Cornwall, a phone call may be best, once I have the bushes out.

Would the MDS have the same shore rating on the swinging arm bushes as the TE/S? I know they are different on the forks; 45 shore on the trials and 60 on the scrambler, is that correct? Ian

Comment

I don't actually know the answer to that one although somebody might.

The bushes don't have a particularly active role in suspension movement so my guess would be that they're all the same. Just guessing though.
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

I think the are all the same, anyway that can be checked out when you contact Robush. Get it from the 'horses mouth as they say.

Comment

Well done with the spindle, knocking it out does feel a bit like abuse, doesn't it?

I would very much endorse the comments about renewing the bushes while you've got it apart. The right bushes (part no. RB3973) are available from Robush ltd, Gull Lane, Grundisburgh, Suffolk IP13 6RN, 01473 738569 for around £25 the pair. No need to mess about adapting Land Rover components.

Regarding the frame paint, a lot can happen in 50 years. A proper restoration takes the frame back to bare metal. For example there isn't a speck of blue paint under the black powder coating on my newly restored 24TFS.
                          Your not wrong, it felt a bit extreme. But with your's and Phil's advice everything turned out ok.
                          Thanks for the info regarding the bushes. Sounds very reasonable and my parents don't live far from there.
                          There is a fair bit of bronzing on my frame so would that be a bit of indication of a restoration?

Comment

Measured a new old stock Bush as:-

ID 16
                            OF 28.6
                            OL 41
                            IL 44.12

Comment

Originally posted by Jim874 View Post
                              There is a fair bit of bronzing on my frame so would that be a bit of indication of a restoration?
                              If you're talking about the joints, Greeves used bronze welding when making their frames, so probably original.
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

If you're talking about the joints, Greeves used bronze welding when making their frames, so probably original.
                                I wondered if that would be a telltale sign, but my frame looks quite unmolested.
                                Looking forward to my next question about paint. I have seen a lot of discussion on the 'Anglian grey' but does anyone know any details about the colour?

Comment

Working...
                                X