Powder Coating question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder Coating question.

Can Greeves frames be powder coated etc with the rubber bushes still fitted in the swinging arm and front wheel loop?
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 02/08/2010, 01:47 AM. Reason: Quote removed for clarity, and post moved to new thread.

Hi Stuart,

Definitely not mate!!! After masking and blast cleaning the components/frame etc, the process involves putting a small electrostatic charge into the frame, followed by spraying with the dry powder (colour), the particles of which have an opposing charge thus 'sticking' it to the frame.

The whole thing is then baked in a large oven to 'cure' the powder and bring up the gloss finish-this enables the powder to 'flow' into all the nooks and crannies and gives an even coverage and gloses up the finish. The temperatures involved will be likely to melt any rubber components left in situ. Further, it's also very important (because of the heat used to cure the powder) to ensure that all oil is removed from the swingingarm reservoir (or any grease etc anywhere else for that matter) as the heat will melt it during the powder curing process and ruin the finish.

For more info on the process have a look at this link (very informative website); http://www.ctc-powder-coating.co.uk/

Hope this helps,

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 01/06/2018, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Don't do it!

Stuart,

Brian is dead right on this one. I got myself into some real bother years ago when I left a metalastic bush in the saddle lug of a BMW R26 I was restoring. The coating firm didn't spot it, and it not only partly melted and wrecked the finish, but also welded itself into position. To get it out, I had to resort to a blowtorch and brute force. Sod's Law then took over; I gave the blasted thing a really hefty clout using a large copper drift and my 2lb damager, and it shot out of the frame still burning. I was in the garage and had foolishly left the kitchen door open. It performed a neat parabola trailing smoke and flame behind it and landed on the (plastic) kitchen mat. You might be able to imagine the rest.

All the best,

Frank

Comment

Burnt Rubber!

Thanks Frank, good one! We've all been there mate....!

Bet 'your dinner was in the dog' after that little misshap....!

Brian.

PS 'Unfortunate Fettling Incidents' might make for a fun new thread! I bet between the lot of us we could write a book about those!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
          I gave the blasted thing a really hefty clout using a large copper drift and my 2lb damager, and it shot out of the frame still burning. I was in the garage and had foolishly left the kitchen door open. It performed a neat parabola trailing smoke and flame behind it and landed on the (plastic) kitchen mat. You might be able to imagine the rest.

Frank
          Is that Frank as in "Frank Spencer" then..?
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Betty!

is my mother's name! Must be a connection there somewhere.

Comment

is my mother's name! Must be a connection there somewhere.
              Its a pity you didnt film it !!!! Thanks for all your info.It confirms what I thought.The problem is how do you get the exact colour match without removing the rubber prior to painting?

Comment

Colour matching

Stuart,

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean. If you take the parts along to a good powder coating firm, they will work to one of the colour standards (BS and so on) and should be able to sort you out a very good match for the colour you have; I'm assuming that you are only doing a bit of the bike?

All the best,

Frank

Comment

Paint Matching (Moorland Blue?)

Chaps......

Have you seen this thread...?!

Be it Moorland Blue, Hunting Green, Fireglow Gold or Essex Grey, this area deals with finding the correct paint colour for your machine.

Brian.
                  Last edited by Brian Thompson; 08/08/2010, 08:35 PM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

Ha ha, spot on!

"Blue is the colour........."

Reminds me of a local club meeting over 20 years ago. There was a talk by John Hudson, who had been service manager at Norton. Somebody asked him about colours, as there had been a lot of controversy about what was "right" and what was "wrong" with regard to certain bikes. It had become heated at times, and jackets were starting to get removed as opinions on authenticity were called into question. John Hudson had a good laugh and then pointed out that the colours were mixed up daily by the apprentices, and no two days were ever exactly the same

Comment

To boldly go in search of Moorland Blue...!

Now you know why Rob insisted that we had a specific subforum for this very question when we set the forum up........!!!!!!

If not, long standing members of the GRA would be 'found wandering', sobbing gently in dark corners, speaking in quiet voices of strange unidentifiable paint codes and being lost for years on end in search of the mythical patch of 'blue moorland', in order to bring back a definative sample of this botanic wonder and prove it's existence once and for all....

Incidently, I have it on good authority that an expedition was mounted in the later part of the twentieth century, and had some success by all accounts. But by the time the precious samples had been brought back to 'civilisation' they had dried out sufficiently to render them all but useless, so Rob just bunged 'em in one of his curries.... Sadly, this was all pre 'pocket GPS', and nobody could remember where they had found it....

Or something like that...!

This is easily the most asked question in the history of the club by all accounts!

(What's wrong with beige anyway....that's what I want to know?!)
                      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 09/08/2010, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Moorland Blue?

"This is easily the most asked question in the history of the club by all accounts!"

I agree.....However, whilst many have come up with answers, I actually asked Bert what it was once. He said, as far as I can remember..."A nice Blue, just a bit darker than normal..... we mixed it up ourselves but the ratio was never set exactly I think."
                        I had a Greeves in 1970. It came with all the Logbooks, service sheets and handbooks, (All original and probably worth a fortune now!), it also came with a GENUINE pot of Greeves issued 'touch-up' paint. I put this in the AGM raffle some years ago. On that day I compared the unused paint against many of the bikes on display. Only one came exactly close....Maurice ? roadster. (Sorry forgot the Surname - increasing old age!). In 1978 I had my MDS Powder Coated, in those early days there were only primary colours, so it came out a light blue. Overspraying with the 'correct' shade was the only option. Back to the original point, I too had to do the swinging arms seperately to preserve the rubber bushes.
                        Sorry if I've wandered Brian..........

Comment

More Moorland Blue!

Not at all Peter! It's all relevant mate, and interesting!

On the contrary, cheers for chippin' in as always.

I wonder if it was Maurice Nicholas you were reffering to? His bikes are amazing!

Brian.

Comment

Stuart,

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean. If you take the parts along to a good powder coating firm, they will work to one of the colour standards (BS and so on) and should be able to sort you out a very good match for the colour you have; I'm assuming that you are only doing a bit of the bike?

All the best,

Frank
                            I have always sprayed my own bikes with cellulose paint mixed to my samples.I think that this might be unavailable now.If I want to paint a complete frame in future I might have to have it done for me (read expensive !!). I wonder how they can paint the front loop and swinging arm as they contain rubber bushes that will not survive any baking.Do they powder coat and bake the rest of the frame and then cold spray only the front loop and swinging arm ? If so is the colour match ok ? Thanks Stuart

Comment

Bushes have to be removed prior to powder coating. There was a posting on this subject a few weeks ago, this was didcussed on a previous post a few weeks ago do a search for Powder coating
                              Last edited by John Wakefield; 22/08/2010, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X