Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somerton trial, Priddy farm

Is it next weekend?

Hi Tony ,yes next weekend Saturday 10th start time 2pm & Sunday 11th start time 10.30am.
    See you there .
    Simon

Comment

Lets hope the weather holds again, great weekends fun, and enjoyment, we will have the GRA regalia with us for those who may want something, if you want something T shirts or anything specific give me a ring on 01903 883948 or Rob on 01404 713123 ok
      See you all there Dicky

Comment

There's a mob of us from Thames MCC (some also GRA members) riding, taking at least 7 Greeves amongst our machinery. Somerton Classic put on cracking events so should be a great weekend, looking forward to it.

Comment

The Somerton trial at the weekend has Greeves as the biggest entry of all the bikes entered already we have 16!!! we want to have a line up of all the Greeves we can down by my van and robs caravan we will have some regalia as well and the GRA FLAG WILL BE FLYING for the short sited .

Comment

Hello Dick (and other trials-minded Greeves-sufferers),

I'd planned to do the Priddy event again (hoping for better weather than last year...!) but my Scottish has been playing up recently and I haven't finished my last two trials: grrr! It's reached a stage where some money needs to be spent and, until I've fettled and sold another bike, I don't have any to spend. So, have a good one and keep it the right way up!

Andy Briggs.

Comment

Not my finest hour
              Having dug the Scottish out of the shed to use I had recollections of how it use to wheelie all the time, not the case now. I borrowed /stole this off my brother 40 years ago after he left home and left it down the side passage. He was after a Velocette from Dodkins like mine and came back with this - Dodkin must have been a good salesman. Anyway somewhere along the line I must have changed the rear sprocket so it was not so feisty in first gear, unfortunately the gearing now means that whilst good for road it is not good for trials. Having to feather the clutch to go slowly meant the clutch got hot and started to fade. I managed a few sections, having let most of the air out of the tyres (thanks Dick) and shall be better prepared for next year.

Comment

Tony ,I still have your goggles .
                Simon

Comment

Forgot all about them, we will catch up at some point, I hope you had good trial

Comment

An excellent weekend, B route sections were just right for me, nice ride round, weather was kind and the Saturday evenings pint or 3 hit the spot.
                    I rode my Scottish on Saturday, but the mods I'd done to the rear brake pedal backfired and ended up costing me marks as I kept inadvertently putting the brake on! So it'll be back to how it was. I used my recently rebuilt Anglian on the Sunday, really pleased with it.
                    It was great to see so many Greeves there, including one with a 3T twin in it, which had a lovely burble to it, and a beautifully engineered rigid Grumph! Greeves front loop and leading link forks with a rigid back end grafted on powered by a Triumph twin, sounded glorious.
                    Results, and some good pictures are on the Somerton Classic website.

Comment

Yes a great weekend, good job the weather did hold out as rain would have brought a disaster, as you comment it suited you ok, I had a an off day on Sunday and had to retire after lap 1, but looking at the overall results for route B it was very high for threequarters of the entry,!n the top trick bikes results these were low for about 6 riders were very low if marks at all in some cases ? are we catering for new and fantastically altered and prepared machines or what!! Saturday was ok and took marks off nearly all the entry , so why was it necessary to alter and add new harder routes for Sunday ? good average riders loosing 60 marks and more, plus other clubmen higher , and a comment i was given by an ex works rider referring to the easy route was if they find this difficult they should not be riding in Trials is an appalling statement, we want are Greeves riders in the GRA to have a good safe time out there, and let these persistent aces stick to the hardest routes and events

Comment

Originally posted by Dick F View Post
                        A comment I was given by an ex works rider referring to the easy route was if they find this difficult they should not be riding in Trials is an appalling statement, we want are Greeves riders in the GRA to have a good safe time out there, and let these persistent aces stick to the hardest routes and events
                        Couldn't agree with you more about that sort of attitude. Classic trialling should be aimed at providing a good day out for the less talented (and older?) rider. If arrogant blighters want a challenge they should do modern trials.

The design of the GRA trials back in the 90's was as it should be in my view. I still remember with pleasure a chap coming up to me after one of Ray Timberlake and my Watlington trials with a big smile on his face: "At last - a trial I can do!"

We can't all be Sammy Miller...
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Sorry I missed it

Indeed the weather was glorious..

I agree that some events are to tough for our machines.. That's why people build these 5k plus machines to compete..

I think that's why so few a Greeves are seen at pre65 events these days.. The ironic thing is as we all know, Greeves were the most popular machine back in the day....

You will never please everybody I'm afraid and muti route layouts are a nightmare for me..

I remember riding in the greeves vs cotton days in the Cotswolds.. These were laid out in the vintage club frame of mind.. Great days..

Scott

Comment

Sadly its the pot hunters who are ruining things, back in the 1970's when I was doing trials (modern bikes, open to centre events) I well remember one particular club member who we could rarely get to ride in the team for centre events. He chose to ride in closed to club events where there was little competition against novices and old men. He won loads of trophies but few of them were worth anything, but he enjoyed going to all the various clubs annual dinners to collect his trophies.

Comment

Maybe just a Greeves event , there might be a few more riders who would take their bikes and also have a good time discussing all things Greeves.

Comment

Working...
                              X