Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon QUB rebuild

Greeves Griffon 380 QUB,

I have had this bike in boxes for over 20 years and about three months ago I decided to make an effort and get it back to race standard.
    It will not be a show piece as I am only going to respray the frame as it had previously been painted silver. All the other bits are going to be cleaned and brought up to first class mechanical standard. The original side panel have been sprayed red a long time ago but the original finish underneath is Golden Glow so I think this bike may have been one of the early ones.
    Here are some pictures to get things going.

Strip down
    Attached Files

Comment

Very messy, gearbox packed with grease to stop rust.
      Attached Files

Comment

The gear selection has been cleaned and inspected.
        Looks ok but one broken tooth on the kickstart gear and the usual worn dogs on second gear. Any one have some spares??
        Attached Files

Comment

Using a spare gearbox to check original build and condition as this is the first time I have taken original apart.
          Attached Files

Comment

New conrod kit and rebalanced crank.
            Spot the difference between old piston and new
            I think some of the rings and big end are still part of the piston head. Cylinder head looks the same so big end giving up must have been the reason why it ended up in boxes.
            Last picture is the lovely sight of a new crispy new rebore.
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice work ! - I have a few Griffon pistons like your old one ...is that a Nametab small end conversion and forged piston?

Comment

Hi craig, i have never had any success fitting the new rollers to the old cages, i found on rebuild, after running for 10 mins the radial lift is back.
                The cranks wear & pit & theres nothing you can do, i have always ended up getting nametab engineering to do there conversion over to needle rollers, pricey but well worth it, £340 for both sides plus big end & pin = peace of mind....
                Good luck with your build...
                Last edited by dave higgins; 29/11/2014, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
                  The gear selection has been cleaned and inspected.
                  Looks ok but one broken tooth on the kickstart gear and the usual worn dogs on second gear. Any one have some spares??
                  Kenny Sykes (Bearingman) in the USA may be able to help with NoS Griffon gearbox parts. Try a PM.
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

Griff resto.

Cracking thread Craig, thanks for posting.

Looking forward to seeing it all come together, and good luck with the build.

Brian.

Comment

Good evening Colin, I have tried Kenny but he is still to get back to me on the gear cogs.
                      I purchased your new book on Ibooks but would like you to keep me a signed copy please. I will put cheque in the post. Your book helped me realise that the QUB should be golden glow and not the usual black on black with alloy tank. I also realised that my "72" 250 should be black on black and not sparkly blue. Fantastic book and fills in most of the gaps from the first Greeves bible.
                      Craig

Comment

Hi Kim, All parts so far have been sourced by Paula at TDS who has really helped out and tried to find most of a long list. Maybe Paula got the parts from Nametab but I sent emails of parts list to all the suppliers listed in GRA magazine and Paula was the only one who replied.
                        Craig

Comment

Thanks Brian,
                          More pictures shortly

Comment

Hi Dave, after I run the engine for a few hours I will strip down and more than likely go for the Nametab work you mention. Just want to get it running and see what needs fixing before putting it in a race.

Comment

Nice one craig, is this the alloy tank qub, that you are going to put back to factory colours? or is this the sandglow model?

Comment

Working...
                              X