Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

villiers 4 speed gearbox poor changing/upgrades.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• villiers 4 speed gearbox poor changing/upgrades.

I've been casually riding my greeves in trials now for about a year, and I've decided that the gearchange is vague,clunky and generally naff. I've read a spare parts list and rob carrick/john woods book on improving villiers singles and have learnt theres an early and then later improved gear selector.
    My gearbox is an early one and has the large nut by the gear lever. My thoughts are thinking replace the outer cover with the better gear selector parts and hey presto, problem solved.
    Is it that easy or even worth doing?. Am i just being fussy and expecting too much?.
    Has anyone even got a later cover for a 4 speedbox,and all the various parts i need, that they want to sell to me?.
    If so, for how much?.

I havent stripped my gearbox yet as i have a trial to ride in a couple of weeks so im staying well away from it until after.
    I have bought a standard kart box which ive stripped and plan to use as spares. But sadly the our case i need isdifferent and no good. It also doesnt have the updated gearchange bits either...

Any help appreciated.

James.

quote,
    'gearchange is vague,clunky and generally naff',
    Apart from my 24TCS, I own a Fergy and Series Landrover.
    Thought this was Normal.
    I had it road registered for many years, and now it is back to Trials trim.
    Never really noticed a problem.

whitehillbilly

Comment

The Villiers gearbox is derived from an Albion design. Enough said!!

Comment

Gearbox

To answer your question the late type gear box end cover with pawls can be fitted in place of the early type. The gear changing is lighter and smoother with the late cover but for trials it is not as robust as the old type and if you hit a rock or tree root hard with the gear lever it can break the pawls. Simon Bateman made some hardened pawls which probably helped toughen it up....John P

Comment

Ahh when i first started to ride the bike i figured the clunkyness and vague feeling was normal too. It was only when i rode a cotton couger and was so impressed with its silky gearbox i decided mine needed attention. But thats a good point about it needing to be tough for trials work....so now I'll just strip the box after this trial thats coming up and just refine what i already have.
          Thanks for the advice, I'm sorted now!.

James.

Comment

Working...
          X