Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this rear number plate? (ISDT content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miller 39R tail light listed on ebay

see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-MI...IAAOSwHQ9WXWaT
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pgc40; 02/12/2015, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Hi Paul,

Many thanks. I've now found the tail light, number plate and headlight for this project!

Cheers,
      Andrew

Comment

Andy did you work out what the speedometer was?

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
          Andy did you work out what the speedometer was?
          Not exactly, but from photos it looks like a standard chronometric of the period, an 80mph one I assume. Not looking forward to buying one of those, they sell for ridiculous money these days.

Cheers,
          Andrew

Comment

Smiths speedo

You can get replica ones for under £20

And even less with cable http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-SM...8AAOSwT6pVi6lk

It is important to get one with a cable as the speedo end is different from the original Smiths one. Also I think the replicas are magnetic as against chronometric although the have that on the dial to make them look like the original.
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/12/2015, 11:42 PM.

Comment

If the replicas looked anything like the originals then I would buy one. Sadly, they don't look very nice, and have no trip meter.

Comment

ISDT speedo

7 LHK did not have a trip meter! .....John P.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pattinson View Post
                  7 LHK did not have a trip meter! .....John P.
                  OO 393 did though, you can see it on old photos. Therein lies the problem with the ISDT bikes, they were all so different, even within the same ISDT!

I'm very thankful that people at the time (especially Bert Greeves) took lots of photos of these bikes otherwise we would be relying just on memories.

Comment

There is one for sale here http://www.simonsoldmotorcycleparts.com/?id=2384
                    at 400 Euros that has trip recorder but looks an odd dial & no Smiths logo. These things appear to be making crazy prices for antiques collectors I suspect. At that price you would not dare fit it to a bike in case it got nicked.
                    Best plan may be to buy one of the replica ones to get the bike road worthy & then swop it later if you can find a genuine smiths on at a low price.

Comment

Like you say - all ISDT machines are different.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by pgc40; 04/12/2015, 07:36 AM. Reason: Photo added

Comment

That's 5 LHK, Jack Simpson's mount in 1959. The LHK's were the first factory ISDT bikes. It's still around.
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Lucy in the sky....with diamonds.....

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
                          ......and have no trip meter.
                          Hi mate.....quite right too . It's always important to keep track of how many pink elephants are coming out of the walls....

As I've said before, the bike is in a safe pair of hands and I know you will do it justice bud. Stick to your guns and do it your way, it'll be great.

Timothy Leary.

Comment

Working...
                          X