This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villiers Carburettor applications.

Following on from John Wakefield's recent request for info in support of members queries on Villiers carb applications (in the 'Road machines' sub-forum), I can add the following;

For our purposes here, the new Carrick/Walker book 'Villiers-Everybody's Engine' (ISBN 978-0-9555278-4-5) contains pretty much the same info re carbs as the earlier Roy Bacon book, 'Villiers Singles and Twins' (ISBN 1-85579-020-3.)

However, the clearest (and best!) explanation on this topic I have ever seen was written by Peter Rotherham in 'Leading Link'#81, and I will relay the important bits here, as Peter doesn't mind me doing so. I will cover the relevant info for Villiers 'S' type carbs but not Amal units, which Peter including in his comprehensive and informative article. (Thanks Peter, extremely useful info as always. Please do chip in if I've missed anything important!)

Twin cylinder machines used the S.22 unit, recognisable by the ridges on the float chamber.

Singles (9E, 32A) mostly used the S.25 unit. On the fuel tickler side of the carb body will be a small raised lug with the definition/type of that particular carb stamped on it, depending on final usage/application.

S.25 or blank (no stamping) Standard carb body; Spare/replacement.

S.25/1 Standard carb body, no strangler, but seperate cable operated strangler fitted for Bond cars and 9E; 9E and 32A.

S.25/2 Standard carb body with strangler and rod operation; 32A and 37A.

S.25/3 Standard carb body with strangler and cable operation; 3T and road bikes.

S.25/4 Unknown details.

S.25/5 Choke bored to 1", no strangler; 2H and 32A.

S.25/6 Choke bored to 1", with strangler, rod operation; 32A and Starmaker.

S.25/7 Standard carb body with throttle stop; Bond and road bikes.

S.25/8 Standard carb body with strangler, cable operation and throttle stop; Bond and road bikes.

Another excellent source of info on carb specs and their variation/application is of course the relevant Villiers handbooks. Originals (or copies) of these are available from Villiers Services (01384 265797.) The ones I have (for my own bike-32A) cover the singles and include excellent drawings of all parts (including carbs) for reference, as well as further details on variations and applications;

Competition and Road-Vehicle Engines Maintenance Manual (V.E.C. 161)
    (Covers; Mark 31C, 2CL, 3L, 9E, 10E, 11E, 31A, 32A, 33A, 34A, 35A, 36A, 37A.)

Competition and Road-Vehicle Engines Replacement Parts Manual (V.E.C. 545)
    (Covers; Mark 31C, 2CL, 3L, 9E, 10E, 11E, 31A, 32A, 33A, 34A, 35A, 36A, 37A.)

Hope this helps,

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 16/03/2015, 03:57 PM. Reason: Wording.

Good info Brian - thank you for posting it.

Comment

Thanks Brian, you should make this a 'sticky' as I am sure this subject will come up again

Comment

Villiers carb applications.

Done, and it's PR who deserves the credit for unravelling this info for us-I'm just the typist!

Brian.

Comment

Villiers Carburettor details

Hi Brian........Do you know, I'd forgotten I'd done this!

Anyway, as you say, I might like to add a bit or 600... so..

37A engines - S25/5 (without strangler) or S.25/6 (with strangler) both with 1" choke and type 1800 Air Cleaner. Main jet 140cc and No4 cutaway Throttle slide.

9E, 31A & 35A engines. 4 speed gearboxes with or without reverse facility via SIBA Dynastart when used in light cars (Bond, etc.,). - S25/1 with seperate cable operated 'butterfly' type strangler frame that fits between the Carb body and Air Cleaner. Main jet 150cc (for running in) & 130cc after running in period due to decreased air flow when engine fitted into compartment.

9E sports engines (Karts, etc.,) - S25/1 as detailed or AMAL.

AMAL Carburettor for E & A series (competition) Engines.

9E Super Sports - Type 389/63. 1.1/2" choke bore with Air Cleaner. Throttle No 3. Needle Jet 109. Main Jet 290cc (Mineral oil) 320cc (Castrol 'R'). Taper Needle D (in No 4 groove). Pilot Jet 30cc

33A,34A & 36A (Scrambles) Type 389/39.
          1.3/16" choke bore with oil bath type Air Cleaner. Throttle No 3.1/2. Needle Jet 109. Main Jet 370cc. Taper needle D (in No 3 Groove). Pilot Jet 25cc.

AMAL still issue parts lists and construction/setting lists. I've seen these on Stalls at shows and are very usefull, if a bit weighty!

Villiers engines fitted with blowers for use in scooters use the same types as standard.

C type - 148cc and L type - 173cc also use Villiers carbs.

C Types - S.19.........S.19/1 - Std Body. S.19/2 - With strangler slide and rod operation. S19/3 - With cable operated strangler slide.
          L Types - S.22..........S.22/1 - Std Body. S.22/2 - With strangler slide and rod operation. S.22/3 - with cable operated strangler slide.

To mount the external strangler set up, you need Villiers part V.942C. (Some still around!)

This is by no means an exhaustive list......The 'T' series are unknown to me in their settings but John Wakefield can probably help. As Villiers were such a big concern, many parts ended up on industrial and agricultural equipment. Indeed I've many S.25 fitings on my ancient Lawnmowers! So another fruitful area for spares is Horticultural Agents and old equipment sales.

Glad to help out......Peter R.
          Last edited by Peter Rotherham; 16/07/2010, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Villiers Carbs.

Hi again.....Sorry, I've just read 'BUZZER's post.

Originally, the fuel inlet needle was controlled via a 'Y' shaped piece of brass whose 'foot' had a hole that clipped under a pin in the upper carb body flange. The 'arms' had a bend in them to rest on the float body, either side of the centre post. You set float height by bending this. It was a good system, but once removed, even though it had a split in the brass off the hole, it could get loose and fall off. Also, it was a machining operation that could be omitted in the middle 60's when the 'bike market was in decline. So it was omitted and a longer fuel inlet needle fitted. This bore directly on the float, as you say Buzzer. It works well enough, but it's another thing to check if/when you go to fit another needle to your carb!

Peter R.

Comment

Villiers Carburettor details

Thanks Peter! (and here's me trying to save you a bit of typing! )

You is da man! +++++++++

Brian.

Comment

Carbs fitted to Villiers engines.....Addendum.

Hi....Just realised I'd missed a bit.......

The AMAL 389 is a 'big' carb when fitted to an 'A' series engine, and, whilst good for performance is no good for economy. Trials/Road use dictates a 376 (or even 375 - but the choke is a bit small for high speed running).
                My one Greves has a 376 with a 1" choke, 280 main jet, 25 pilot jet, 3.1/.2 slide Needle on No 2 notch and a 106 needle jet. It runs OK on this setting, but obviously each engine, and the use it gets, will dictate different settings.

On the subject of Villiers Carbs.......the tops are different, dependant upon what strangler mechanism you use. What isn't different is the need for the fibre washer between the top and the carb body. This is often omitted or, gets wedged over the slide. More than once I had a throttle that wouldn't open fully because of a crushed washer on top of it. It's like the 14 No 3/16" ball bearings that fit inside the High Gear Pinions.....they aren't shown in any diagrams, and more than one gearbox has been built without them in situ!

Peter R.

Comment

Working...
                X