Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner of Greeves 25dc

Hi all,

I have just begun restoration of a Greeves 25dc. It's been sat in a shed in Cambridgeshire for at least 15 years, and almost certainly more.

It is complete and all original as I can tell, but needs quite a lot of work- new paint work all over, a complete seat replacement, and likely a new exhaust. Mechanically seems to be in reasonable condition with a drivechain which turns over, and 3of four gears engaging cleanly. The fuel line had perished, so I was unable to test it before I began stripping it down.

My current plan is to get the paintwork sorted, then build the drive train back on to it to get a rolling restoration. Cosmetics like the exhaust, mudguards and wheels I'll replace/recondition bit by bit as funds allow.

I'm working with basic knowledge and a small toolbox. I expect the knowledge of this forum will be indispensible!

Hi Will9895
    Welcome aboard. I live in Cambridgeshire so am always interested in hearing of local Greeves barn finds. What is the frame number & does it have a local registration number?
    Do you live in Cambs yourself, if so you may like to know that we have a local GRA group who meet at the Lord Byron, Church St, Trumpington on the 3rd Thursday of month. We will be there tomorrow night from 7.30.

Comment

Welcome to the world of Greeves.

If it's your first rebuild/restoration you've picked a good candidate. Greeves are relatively straightforward, all engine parts are easily obtainable and there genuinely is much useful help on here (and some not so helpful - it's called humour...) The hard-to-find roadster bits are the tin-ware items - toolbox, mudguards, headlight/fork unit so if you've got those you are of to a good start.

Do make contact with the Cambridge group - and in the fullness of time, join the GRA. You won't regret it.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
        Welcome to the world of Greeves.

If it's your first rebuild/restoration you've picked a good candidate. Greeves are relatively straightforward, all engine parts are easily obtainable and there genuinely is much useful help on here (and some not so helpful - it's called humour...) The hard-to-find roadster bits are the tin-ware items - toolbox, mudguards, headlight/fork unit so if you've got those you are of to a good start.

Do make contact with the Cambridge group - and in the fullness of time, join the GRA. You won't regret it.
        Good luck with your project will & don`t pay to much attention to the non humoristic comments.......the club & forum is for everyone of all opinions & persuasions & i`m sure you will enjoy it & find the info & conversation usefull & prehaps sometimes entertaining...........maybe...........possibly... ...

Comment

I need to grab the frame number. The registration is 988 AVF. I grew up in Great Eversden and my family are still there. Work has taken me (and the bike) up north, and York is currently home. That said, I've promised several people down that way a play when the machine is up and running, so I shall certainly be down that was with it at some point.

My biggest issue currently is the chrome. The silencer was pitted. I tried scrubbing and foil but only sandpaper would remove it. Until I source a new one, or find a platers willing to work with a dirty part, I'm thinking I'll spray it a matte black colour. Any suggestion on a better alternative?
          Last edited by will9895; 28/12/2016, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Have replied to you PM Will, You can get new silencers from Villiers Services http://villiersservices.co.uk/ 998 AVF (a Norfolk registration) is not on the DVLA so bike must have been off the road some years. Hopefully you have the old buff or green logbook to reclaim the number.
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 28/12/2016, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X