Carburettor/air box link pipe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburettor/air box link pipe.

Hi, am about to fit the air box to my Griffon. I am sure the rubber link from carb. to air box is unavailable, so have decided to cut and fit a car drive shaft boot. Has anyone used this method and if so which vehicle boot is the right sizes? otherwise I'll have to visit my local motor factor and look through their stock. I know there is a universal kit, so I may have to resort to one of those. starider

Hi starider, the 1980-81 maico 250 - 400 - 440 - 490 air boots fit & are available from Maico Only. thats the company name. google it

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
      Hi starider, the 1980-81 maico 250 - 400 - 440 - 490 air boots fit & are available from Maico Only. thats the company name. google it
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1970-75-Ma...gAAOSwPhdVGGw5
      Hobbit classic mx also stock them

Comment

Carb/air box link

Hi, thanks for the info ref. link pipe. The cost was quite high and in the end I purchased a BMW drive shaft boot kit for just over a fiver which fits perfectly. Together with 2 of the correct air filters I'm almost up and running. starider

Comment

Hi star rider.
          Can you send me the BMW part ref please. I fancy replacing some of mine as well.
          I want to change from foam back to original filters also as the foam lets too much crap in. Do you have a reference number for those as welll?
          Craig.

Comment

Link pipe

Hi Craig,
            The link pipe I purchased was off ebay no.131457867021. I had to cut off the narrow end at the first bellow. the large end stretches over the airbox end perfectly and providing you cut the small end carefully, it will fit well. I used the wire clip provided in the kit for the airbox end and a cable tie on the carb end [the grease in the kit has loads of uses]. Hope this helps. starider.

Comment

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
              Hi star rider.
              Can you send me the BMW part ref please. I fancy replacing some of mine as well.
              I want to change from foam back to original filters also as the foam lets too much crap in. Do you have a reference number for those as welll?
              Craig.
              Steady McCorset. Don't go back to paper filters . Twin air properly oiled lets more air in and no crap . Greases the edges and u r good .
              I use Putoline filter oil. Don't use the spray oil. No wonder you've been down on power if your air filtration is t sorted Cheers Kim

Comment

Air filter

Hi Craig, sorry missed the part of your post ref.air filters. My trade motor factor tried all the X references from the original Framm number to no avail, but I found one of the national filter suppliers,just down the A30 from me in Cornwall, was happy to supply me with a pair of Mann C 1530 filters. www.inlinefilters.co.uk or email sales@inlinefilters.co.uk

Ref.using oiled filters, the jury is out on that one. Each type of filter has its pluses and minuses. starider.

Comment

Originally posted by starider View Post
                  Hi Craig, sorry missed the part of your post ref.air filters. My trade motor factor tried all the X references from the original Framm number to no avail, but I found one of the national filter suppliers,just down the A30 from me in Cornwall, was happy to supply me with a pair of Mann C 1530 filters. www.inlinefilters.co.uk or email sales@inlinefilters.co.uk

Ref.using oiled filters, the jury is out on that one. Each type of filter has its pluses and minuses. starider.
                  how cN the jury be out on oiled from am filters ... Every mx bike for the last 20 years has used them !!

Comment

Me again!

Hi Craig, having a bad hair day, I've found the Inline Filters part number on the Mann box:-Part number FFR-CA641. Description:- Filter-Air[Baldwin PA696]. Hope this is of use.
                    From the bald headed............ starider

Comment

Air filters

Hi, I don't intend starting discussions on which type of filter is best for this and that. I am new to the Griffon and have fitted the filters that were fitted when the bike was built and presumably tuned with that set up.I have recently spoken to the guy who built the engine at the factory in 1973 and it was he who gave me the ref. for the paper air filters. I have no wish to MotoX it, just to enjoy riding the classic Griffon, which at my advanced years I am looking forward to doing ASAP.......starider

Comment

Under those circumstances, you are OK with the paper filter. Prepared properly, the foam type are much better for racing and can be recycled in minutes if the need arises.

Comment

Thank you star rider,
                          I want to use paper filters as I am starting to ride too fast and don't want to upset the usual winners.
                          My job is to pull stunning wheelies and massive jumps so that the crowd love me.

The fat mccoster.

Comment

here is a picture of a griffon that had foam from the factory.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Like the curtains. I take it the bike is on the dining table...
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                              X