Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villiers kart engine.

Hi there,

I've had an MDS rolling chassis for a long time now, waiting for a Triumph engine, but recently I was given some Villiers/Greeves bits by the widow of a friend.
    There is a 200cc kart motor with an alpha flywheel/conrod assembly, a working Motoplat ignition and crankcase stuffers. No clutch. Also a Greeves (?) 250 top end.

I'm now thinking of building the bike as an original scrambler for vintage shows and agricultural shows where it would get a blast round the showring.

Should the Greeves bits be a straight swap or would it be better to flog the complete kart motor and look for another bottom end?.

Regards,

George.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1962 Greeves MDS 250 - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	64192

Name:	villiers - Copy.jpg
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	64193

Name:	villiers 2 copy.jpg
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	64194

Bill Gwynne has a Greeves with that round-barrel Kart engine. Seems to go well.

Comment

Hi George, the gearbox and Kart engine are based on the Villiers 9E unit which should fit straight into the MDS frame. Depends on the throat diameter of the crank cases as to whether the Greeves barrel will fit into it, presumably it has a 66mm bore! You can easily check if the barrel will fit of course but assuming it does check to see if the piston comes within 1/16" of the top of the barrel as the 200 kart engines used a rod 1/4" shorter than the Greeves 250. Either way the crank cases may suit but a longer rod may be required to suit the Greeves barrel. Hope this helps.

Comment

Very many thanks for that helpful information Adrian.
        The Greeves barrel does fit into the crankcases and the two barrels are the same dimensions in height so looks promising so far. I'm just working out whether or not I have to split the cases to remove two steel plates in the crankcase transfer ports.
        Thanks again,
        George.

Comment

Hello George,
          I built a engine for my MDS based on Invader kart engine crankcases housing a full circle Alpha crank and rod with Motoplat ignition from a 200cc kart engine. I fitted a Greeves square barrel from an MDS but had to machine the base of the barrel down 1/4 inch to match the Alpha rod / piston height. I think the 9E rod is that amount shorter than a 34A.? With a beefed up clutch and duplex primary chain from the karting boys along with the MDS gearbox I had a very quick and reliable bike. Good luck with your project.
          Regards Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by cchapp4 View Post
            I think the 9E rod is that amount shorter than a 34A.?
            Correct, the 9E rod was was 1/4" shorter than the 32A 34A 37A etc. But I think the Villiers iron 31A barrel matched with the shorter rod, its easily identified by the thinner flange.
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 30/08/2016, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Invaluable experience-based information for me to follow there Chris, many thanks.
              Indeed, thanks to you all who took the time to comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Tribsa110 View Post
                Very many thanks for that helpful information Adrian.
                The Greeves barrel does fit into the crankcases and the two barrels are the same dimensions in height so looks promising so far. I'm just working out whether or not I have to split the cases to remove two steel plates in the crankcase transfer ports.
                Thanks again,
                George.
                Hi George, if the two steel plates in the crankcase ports are just "stuffers" then I don't see any need to remove them as they aid the primary compression ratio giving a bit of extra oomph as a result. On the other hand if they are there for some other purpose I can't imagine what they are or whether the cases would need splitting to remove.
                All the best, Adrian

Comment

Working...
                X