Greeves ISDE ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves ISDE ?

Hi, I am Brand new to the group.I live near Albany, N.Y. USA. My Dad bought a Greeves ISDE (Serial# 24 IN 138) back in the early 60's from an Ossa Importer (John Taylor) in New York. I still have the bike, along with a Scottish and 3 other Greeves in various stages of completeness. I was wondering if anyone has a picture of one that I could compare with mine. I will post a couple of pictures soon. One of the pictures from 1968 shows that the fenders and headlight shell were gold. (The headlight is not on the bike anymore and the fenders are still gold(ish). Also, the square exhaust header, that comes out the left side, looks different from some of the other ones I have seen on other Greeves. Just curious. Happy to be a part of the Group as I Love the Bikes! Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve, welcome to forum, you bike should look like the one in the pics on this thread http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...4688#post34688 Also in the USA recently found in a conatiner.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 04/05/2017, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Hi and welcome here! The bike is obviously a 1962 International special, built for use in the ISDT (it was a Trial upto 1981, then changed the name to Enduro to reflect the difference between the 2 types of sports. I'm not sure where or when your bike became gold, but as with most Greeves bikes, the owners made their own changes. This may result in your bike having different detail modifications to some bikes you may get photos of. QUESTION,,,,have you seen any painted numbers on any components like wheels, frame tank etc. that may provide us with a clue as to who rode the bike in the day?

Comment

Hi Steve,

I've attached a couple of photos of a restored 1962 International. This particular restorer knows exactly what he's doing - as you may surmise from the quality of the restoration.

I would suggest this is what you might aim for. No gold paint anywhere!

Having said that, the square exhaust would also be correct.

Colin
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 05/05/2017, 09:12 AM. Reason: Exhaust comment
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Colin,

I was looking at building an ISDT-type bike out of a TE and found that they had a round, curving exhaust and not the square type. I believe it was GRA member Chris Brown's bike that was in the museum fire. That had the curving exhaust but seemed to have lost several ISDT bits (strangely enough). It was painted green and restored that way by someone who said it left the factory like that. However, we have Bert's pics which show it clearly to have been blue when it left the factory and was in it's first trial.

More Greeves mysteries, ho, hum!

Comment

Museum ISDT

I remember studying the ISDT bike long before the fateful fire. Back in the day the club held at least one AGM at Bickenhill. Part of the deal was a free entry.

Walking round with a few of the club and marque experts there was a general conclusion that the example on show was a show bike in every sense. Pretty certain that the frame had no number. Equally, the little extras that make a six day bike stand out from the standard factory bike were missing.

If you study Bob Currie's book you will see what I mean.

Good luck Rob in building a replica ISDT.

Comment

By looking at Bert's photos on the GRA CD, I think the square fabricated, dual level pipe was used in 62, but the curly tube pipe seems to be seen on the 63 bikes. Needless to say there may be exceptions! Similarly, the front mudguards seem different, with the 62 version fuller at the sides towards the front, whereas the 63 ones are not so full, forcing the number plates to be mounted further back.
              If I were in the lucky position to be able to build a replica ISDT come Trail bike, I would opt for the choice of ally front guard, on the basis that it can bend and be rebent after an off, whereas the fibreglass versions usually self-destructed. The other option would be to go to a later bendy plastic type. I think the close fitted guard is far less liable to damage anyway. Remember ISDT65!

Comment

Isdt

The link that John Wakefield sent is the Bike with the exact exhaust. My Dad said that he took off the rack that was on the tank.
                He also said He bought it New from the guy. Having a time getting the picture on the sight. Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Flacher View Post
                  The link that John Wakefield sent is the Bike with the exact exhaust. My Dad said that he took off the rack that was on the tank.
                  He also said He bought it New from the guy. Having a time getting the picture on the sight. Steve
                  As a Basic you cant load pics direct to the site BUT you can load them via a hosting site like Photobucket

Comment

Working...
                  X