TFS bikes loaned to road racers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks John.

I have seen this pic before.. Could he have purchased the TDS from Kings of Oxford but as part of Luton?? We have looked into this before John with your help but I've not got any further with its history...

Regards

Scott

Comment

Tfs

Maybe he bought it from King's as the shop was owned by Stan Hailwood father of "Mike The Bike" a fellow racer.

Comment

I can't follow it all and remember all the questions but HPU 124B frame no was 24TFS182,eng no 453DC3839 to John Surtees 1-12-64 sold to Peter Stirland. BTR 51 B,Phil Read bike 24 TFS 184 eng no 453 DC3866 no record of who it was sold to.
        Another interesting TFS 358 listed as 150cc, LVX4C, to Ally Cameron for small class in Scottish and sold to Monty Banks.
        Then the series 24 TFS 500-502 were HNO40B-HNO42B the "halfway" TFS/Anglians for Billy Wilks, Tony and Malcolm Davis.
        Hope I have not started something else or stepped outside the "thread"

Comment

Thanks Anglian Man for that added info.
          Re LVX4C this looks to still be around, a vehicle data check reveals current keeper since 14/3/65 with last V5 issued 9/12/88. DVLA have engine size as 1141cc (presumably a typo & should be 141cc) engine number MS1432
          As previously stated the Surtees bike HPU124B is not showing live at DVLA but of course could survive in someones shed.
          BTR51B is live at DVLA but has not been taxed since 01 August 1989
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 19/03/2017, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Hpu124b hpu 125b

I have now received confirmation from Essex Records Office of John Surtees TFS HPU 124B (frame No 24TFS182) It was registered to Invacar on 15/12/64
            Also registered same day to Invacar was frame number 24TFS503 as HPU125B. I wonder who had that bike? Like HPU 124B its not showing live on DVLA
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/04/2017, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
              Also registered same day to Invacar was frame number 24TFS503 as HPU125B. I wonder who had that bike? Like HPU 124B its not showing live on DVLA
              Interesting. See anglian man's comment above (if you haven't already) about the bikes for Billy Wilks and co. TFS503 would be the next one in that series, so would be interesting to know what became of it.

Comment

Not only that, none of these bikes are on the despatch registers. Makes you wonder why not as quite a few works bikes are on it.

Similar thing with an Anglian that someone sent me details of including a copy of the old log book. The number was missing from the register but registered at the time to Invacar. Suppose as it wasn't despatched as such, it was not written in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                  Not only that, none of these bikes are on the despatch registers. Makes you wonder why not as quite a few works bikes are on it.

Similar thing with an Anglian that someone sent me details of including a copy of the old log book. The number was missing from the register but registered at the time to Invacar. Suppose as it wasn't despatched as such, it was not written in there.
                  All a bit strange as some bikes (the road test East Coaster 25DC359 for instance) is shown as ON LOAN to Houslander, London 9/7/65
                  Maybe there was another loan list other than the one Simon has a copy of.
                  The bikes would have to have been shown somewhere for accounting purposes.

Comment

HPU 125B was used by Peter Stirland with engine number 453DC3840

Comment

Originally posted by anglian man View Post
                      HPU 125B was used by Peter Stirland with engine number 453DC3840
                      HPU 125B looks to have survived, a posting on Greeves Enthusiast Facebook page by Richard Brian Keep on 2nd Nov 2018 says "My TFS was modified to anglian spec and was Peter Stirlands works bike for 1964. HPU 125B"
                      I have managed to trace Richard who lives in Tadley the bike requires restoring which he hopes to do in near future, Although its not on the DVSA computor Richard has the old buff log book so can reclaim the number to preserve the history/provenance of the bike. I have passed Colins number to him with a view to getting a V5c via the V765 scheme. Peter Stirland, now in his 80's lives in Hungerford
                      So HPU 124B, John Surtees bike is still missing.
                      Last edited by John Wakefield; 08/11/2018, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Hi, I came across your forum and can tell you a bit more about BTR 51B. The bike is still owned by my Dad (Bill Swan) and had been sitting in the garage since 1989 and never been used since then. We were aware that it had been loaned to Phil Read when the article was posted about the bike I think in an article in 1991 in Leading Link. My Dad took some photos and sent them in and a further article was published. He is in his 70's now and of a mind to sell it as he won't ride it again now. It is still complete but would no doubt need some restoration. If anyone was interested then let me know.

Comment

Thanks for that info Swanb just for the record where does your dad live (nearest town ok)

Comment

John,

about 15 miles east of Edinburgh

regards

Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill, looks like a bike worth having, not for me im afraid, in same age bracket as your dad but still riding road bikes, hopefully it will go to a GRA member and get restored.

Comment

John,

Was going to attach some photos but site won't allow me to do so. The bike is actually in much better condition than I thought. It needs a really good clean which my Dad is going to do shortly. I've had quite a bit of interest in it already mainly from an enthusiasts group on Facebook. Cheers Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X