X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Comment

Originally posted by Dick F View Post
      I must be doing it all wrong over the years then by using the left hand leaver, i thought all the greeves nowadays had been converted to semi -automatics, as watching at Mortimer no fingers were moving on the left hand going up or down the gears !!do the boots now come with right foot steel under soles
      Dick, on the griffon...if you go from neutral down to first & hold the pressure down on the gear lever for 5 secounds, the g/box will select fully auto mode once the clutch lever has been released.
      I can only imagine that is what you saw at mortimer....but it does get abused...with some riders changing gear without clutch or auto mode......

Comment

thanks mate, i notice with the modern stuff Scrambles and Road racing they wind the throttle to max and that's the last time they use it untill back in the pits ,with the exception of slipping on exits out of corners by bogging down.

Talking with Ian bain at Goodwood last year, his old Norton bike , when ridden by the modern riders of today managed to wreck his engine and gearboxes as they are used to riding the Modern superbikes which have the electronic cut out when you touch the gear leaver when changing up or down.

Are modern MX bikes built with that in mind as the boxes seem to stand up with abuse, that the old machines cant stand?

Comment

Originally posted by Dick F View Post
          thanks mate, i notice with the modern stuff Scrambles and Road racing they wind the throttle to max and that's the last time they use it untill back in the pits ,with the exception of slipping on exits out of corners by bogging down.

Talking with Ian bain at Goodwood last year, his old Norton bike , when ridden by the modern riders of today managed to wreck his engine and gearboxes as they are used to riding the Modern superbikes which have the electronic cut out when you touch the gear leaver when changing up or down.

Are modern MX bikes built with that in mind as the boxes seem to stand up with abuse, that the old machines cant stand?
          Absolutely right about the moderns dick, i think they have done away with the throttle cable & just use an on/off flick switch.
          The engineering on the moderns though is staggering, using pistons with no skirts only 30mm deep etc...different world.
          But going back to the old bikes though, it is ok to abuse your g/box, as long as you drain off the excess teeth at the end of every meeting......

Comment

Dick and Dave I am use to modern KTM's with hydraulic clutch and gearbox's that can take all the abuse you mentioned. Also modern 4strokes are just so easy to ride it seems like cheating I thought I would be able to change gear without the clutch on the Griffon but it seems not! I am looking forward to riding the Griffon it's going to be an experience that's for sure

Comment

John - I have raced a Griffon for 10 seasons...........Geoff Nunn serviced my gearbox before the start of last season and it was faultless.......I have never used the clutch apart from feathering it away from the start........my box is sweet and to be honest not that different to my YZ250f box...and much better than my Cappra VF414 box...................

Not sure about Higgo's auto mode - that is probably best explained over a beer after a race meet

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
                John - I have raced a Griffon for 10 seasons...........Geoff Nunn serviced my gearbox before the start of last season and it was faultless.......I have never used the clutch apart from feathering it away from the start........my box is sweet and to be honest not that different to my YZ250f box...and much better than my Cappra VF414 box...................

Not sure about Higgo's auto mode - that is probably best explained over a beer after a race meet
                Kim.... i was only joking....i do hope no one spent the evening out in the cold garage trying to select auto mode.......
                As for the clutch, i don`t know anybody that actually uses it on the track, you don`t have to, but you do have to back the throttle off a fraction each time whilst changing up under full charge.....
                Last edited by dave higgins; 08/11/2015, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Nice one Higgo .... I used to have auto mode one of my Griffon boxes till Geoff rebuilt it ( at least a load of false neutrals !! )

Comment

Working...
                  X