Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anglian advice please

Hi All.

I'm having grip issues with my TGS Anglian on wet climbs..

It's been well modded with sticky tyres, good shocks, TFS swingarm etc etc.

It's a fantastic machine except for the grip issues..

Any ideas?

My pal Guy, a youth Trial rider turned Rally Driver, came back to Trials in addition to his 4 wheel activities. He was having trouble with climbs, particularly with muddy stuff. I asked him what gear he was using and he said first or second (modern bike). I said use third and let the engine pull. He did that and noticed a vast improvement! Certainly modern engines are too smooth and sharp in delivery to help put the power down when you are wobbling the throttle wire!
    If you can get somewhere to practice Scott, try different gears and tyre pressures......or eat more pies!
    I met Guy at the recent Trial School put on by John Lee MCs featuring World Championship contender Adam Raga. The first riding exercise, after bike and body prep tips, was the figure of 8 ride. This looks rather exaggerated with the bike tilted and the legs contorted. It's a good exercise to get the bike truly under control, but Guy was having trouble going slow enough to get the full-lock turns right. One problem is that he has spent 25 years with the cars going flat out, trying to ride on the pilot jet is a big difference!

Comment

Scott

Have you considered slightly longer shocks and different springs. I'm not talking radical, just an extra 30 - 40mm. Then look at springs that are rated for your weight. Dual wound are great, or a twin spring set up. Correctly set up the ride height should be about the same as a normal Anglian. The extra travel allows the rear wheel to remain in contact for more of the time. Transferring your weight over the back wheel becomes even more beneficial with better suspension.

If you have banana forks so there is even more scope.

Sticky tyres are great, on the rear I use about 2.5 PSI for most trials some times 2 Front is 8

Good luck

Phil
      Last edited by Phil Hyde; 03/10/2017, 08:32 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Are the footrests in the standard position? I found on my Anglian that by moving them down and back it gripped better and was generally easier to ride.
        Also in a muddy event try moving the bars back a bit, it shifts your weight back and helps.
        A slow action (Domino have a choice of slow or fast) throttle twist-grip makes it easier to apply the power with a bit more finesse.
        I've been told playing with (retarding?) the ignition timing can soften the power delivery and make it less likely to break traction, but I've never tried it.

Being a rider with more enthusiasm than skill I tend to attack wet climbs with as much speed as is practicable, then roll it off to allow the tyre to find grip on the actual climb itself, then feather the throttle to let it pull. Trying to put the power on once I'm climbing just spins the wheel.
        I use IRC tyres, so good in mud its like cheating, about 4 - 5 psi in the back, 6 - 7 in the front, worth having a play and see what you find is best.
        I have several Villiers powered trials bikes and find the iron barrelled engines with the 'bobweight' (ie not full circle) crankshafts find grip in the mud better than the ally barrelled ones, that doesn't help you though!
        Probably of no help at all, but my thoughts for what they're worth.

Comment

Hi All.

Thanks for all your advise.

I think you all have given good advise but some of it i have already tried.

I think where i went really wrong is accidently using 3rd on one section and making a right mess of it. I think i was so paranoid about making the same mistake that i used 1st for the rest of the trial and when you are going quite fast its not pulling so to speak.

My footrests are down and back and i found weight transfer made such a difference. (I have already softened the motor as it was to peppy for me) and it has a bob weight crank. It is running motoplat ignition but in fairness the bike runs superb!!

I have switched to 40lb springs front and back which has made a big difference, as have the new tyres (IRC rear, Michelin front)

Im going to try rolling the handle bars back a little and most importantly practice some more (I really do not ride enough)

If im still struggling I might play with the rear sprocket slightly to either lenghten 1st or shorten 2nd? Or adding an inch to the tfs swingarm..

Thanks again for all your input

Comment

Working...
          X