Anyone bought paraffin recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone bought paraffin recently?

I went to the local garage today to buy a 4 litre bottle of paraffin (CALDO pre packed) cost just over EIGHT POUNDS. Its even more on eBay up to £14 for 4 litres. This stuff used to be half the price of petrol, my old dad used to use gallons of the stuff in green house heaters, the local garage used to supply it from a bulk supply, you used to take your can along to get it re filled. There was also a guy who came round once or twice a week with a van selling paraffin So why has the price risen so much? I just use it to wash off oil & grease from bike parts etc. so 4 litres lasts me a long time but cheaper to use petrol. Must cost a fortune to heat greenhouses these days.

I had that surprise a while ago. Bartoline is £6.75 per 4 litres at my local hardware store. I can only think that the escalating cost is because it is hardly used for heating these days. I use it for cleaning same as you and it's about the best thing you can use on o-ring drive chains on modern bikes. I have to get the low odour stuff though or my Missus complains about the smell of it on my overalls.

Comment

Strange thing is its the same as domestic 28 sec heating oil which is only 40p per litre Presumably the cost is high due to small quantities & pre packaging.

Comment

paraffin

We keep several Tilley Lamps for emergency lighting,bought some several months ago from B & Q, if I remember it was around 6 pounds..................starider

Comment

I used to sell paraffin back in the 60s when I had a small motorcycle business, it was 2 shillings ( 10p for younger readers ) per gallon, or 9/6d ( 47.5p ) for 5 gallons delivered in a drum with tap. Had a number of customers whose sole heating was Aladdin heaters, one old chap who cooked on a paraffin cooker as well as his heating. Sold probably 100 gallon a week in winter, met my first wife whose mother had a 5 gallon drum every two weeks. This was the wife whose honeymoon was in the back of a 15cwt Ford Thames in the paddock at the Manx Grand Prix, o happy days. Dogsbody

Comment

Perhaps its to stop the winos? maybe they have moved up the rev range

Comment

Meths?

Surely it was/is Metholated Spirits the wino's used? or have I got it wrong...........starider

Comment

Working...
              X