Mystery ISDT Challenger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery ISDT Challenger

I found a photo on the web of an ISDT Challenger MEV 6C with competition number 164. Any idea who rode it and what year?

Thanks Paul
    Attached Files

Mev6c

Interesting in the 1965 ISDT (IoM) Greeves entered 4 riders. MEV 7C (Peter Stirland, Vase A) MEV 8C (Triss Sharpe, Trophy) MEV 9C (Bryan Sharpe, Trophy) the 4th being Bill Wilkinson (Vase B), so presume it was his bike.
    Its not currently listed on the DVLA
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 05/11/2015, 11:41 PM.

Comment

ISDT Challenger

Bill Wilkinson rode MEV10C. To my knowledge there never was a 6C.
      It is possible that Greeves built a spare for nefarious reasons but it would have been unlikely to have been registered, certainly Chris Goodfellow only knew of the 4.
      Does anyone know the provenance of this bike and where it is?

Druid

Comment

There was no Greeves rider in the 1965 ISDT with the riding number 164. I've a feeling this one has turned up on here before. If I remember rightly it's abroad somewhere, maybe Holland?

Malcolm Rathmell rode in the Trophy team on a Comerfords-sponsored Greeves to a Bronze Medal in 1969. His riding number was 164, so it could have been a 1965 model being used four years later?

There was no official Greeves factory involvement because by that time the manufacturers had collectively decided not to support the national ISDT teams.

It's all in the book....
        Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 06/11/2015, 08:40 AM.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Looks like its got a GRA sticker on front mudguard so may be owned by a member or past member.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 06/11/2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Pedantry....but with good intentions.

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
            Looks like its got a GRA sticker on front mudguard so may be owned by a member or passed member.
            Whilst I would be the very last person to question anybody's spelling or grammar on here, and I understand what you are saying John, there's a big difference between a 'passed' member and 'past' member.....

It just reminds me that we've lost some good people on here, and some very recently......

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by druid View Post
              Bill Wilkinson rode MEV10C. To my knowledge there never was a 6C.
              It is possible that Greeves built a spare for nefarious reasons but it would have been unlikely to have been registered, certainly Chris Goodfellow only knew of the 4.
              Does anyone know the provenance of this bike and where it is?

Druid
              Right, here is the SP on this so far.
              The bike is owned by bike dealer Owens Moto Classics of Stafford. http://www.owensmotoclassics.co.uk/gallery/
              Michael Owen bought it a few years ago from a collector in Italy, Paul Shoen.
              Whilst Michael has no history of the bike he does not think its a genuine ISDT bike but a replica made up from a standard Challenger. He is going to check the frame number & let me know. The bike is for sale at circa £3500 & Michael has already had interest from the USA. So if anyone wants it they better contact Michael asap. Its a runner & not overpriced considering current prices. Not sure about the MEV6C reg though, one would have to check that out with Essex Records Office. Its not on the DVLA.
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 06/11/2015, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                Whilst I would be the very last person to question anybody's spelling or grammar on here, and I understand what you are saying John, there's a big difference between a 'passed' member and 'past' member.....

It just reminds me that we've lost some good people on here, and some very recently......

Brian.
                Typo duly corrected Brian, I do not wish to wake the dead

Comment

Frame number

Have got the frame number from Michael he says its its 24MX 58538 but I think it should read 24MX5B538
                  Anyone know what year that would be, also would I be right in thinking the B would indicate an export model

Comment

Mystery ISDT Challenger

MX5B is a Nick Nicholson spec challenger fitted with banana forks.

Druid

Comment

Another ISDT replica ?

Found this pic on http://www.motorstown.com caption says its a 24MDS. Looks to have 19" US spec front wheel & TES type exhaust. It does appear to have an genuine International headlamp though. I think pic is taken in USA
                      Attached Files

Comment

Some more info on the bike seen with MEV6C number plates The frame number is actually 24MX5B539 (not 538)
                        Originally to Nicholson Motors USA, was sold to Lamberto Poggi, Rome who in turn sold it to Paolo Gallinelli of Pesaro who rebuilt it as an ISDT replica. Was then sold to Mike Owens, t/a Moto Classics Stafford April 2015, it acquired the reg plates MEV6C (not on DVLA) Owens is reported as selling it to a collector in the USA.
                        Attached Files

Comment

A collection of parts, numbers and hopes....

Comment

Working...
                          X