RCS gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCS gearbox

Having just stripped the cam change 5 speed gearbox in my RDS following the race at Mosport last weekend where it felt like it was overriding the drive dogs in 3rd gear under power, I find that the tips of 2 of the selector forks have broken off and the dogs are worn and will need to be ground. The strange thing is that the sliding gears are all a loose fit on the splined shafts while the free running gears with bronze bushes are fine. Are they all like this as I would have expected little play in the splined gears as they only slide back and forth during shifts so they should not wear? It would appear that the splines in the gears are oversize for the shafts as the location diameter is the OD of the shafts which are ground which translates as the bottom of the grooves in the gear. Unfortunately, the one-off gear I had made by Nova many years ago (4th gear on mainshaft) is the worst and really wobbles on the shaft. I expect that under power the gears are prevented from this wobbling by the teeth of the mating gear but it doesn't seem right.
    Anyway, I will have to fit the gearbox/primary chaincases and clutch from my waiting to be restored RCS (which has been converted to 4 speeds, unfortunately) for the last race in 2 weeks time and work on the CC box over the winter. However, that raises a question; does anyone know the correct amount of oil for the RCS type gearbox? The CC RDS box, according to the RDS service notes, should be filled with 3/4 pint but this also has a level plug so I always fill to that while the RCS box only has fill and drain plugs. Would 3/4 pint be good for the RCS box?
    Incidentally, I did win the final on Sunday by 8 one hundreths of a second after a race long battle with an American rider on a quick Ducati. Yay Greeves!
    Thanks, Stan

I don't know the answer to your question, Stan, however the RBS/RCS box is the same (apart from the extra gear) as the 24MX1 box. One of our scrambler chums will know.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
    X