Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Inevitable Return Of The Caption Competition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Inevitable Return Of The Caption Competition!

Greetings fellow caption competition fans!

With contributions still flooding in for the last one (), I thought the three of us could make a start on this wonderfully evocative image!

I first saw it in an old magazine article about the Greeves factory, and again more recently when Colin used it as one of the images in the 2009 GRA Calendar.

Incidently, in my opinion it was a real shame that we had to stop producing those calendars due to lack of sales...Colin did a fine job of assembling and editing them, and with some fantastic (and rare) archive photos and informative captions, all printed on quality stock, I thought they were an excellent product. Oh well....perhaps it's something we may be able to revisit one day...?

Right then, here's a caption from me.....

My first offering has 'Mr' Greeves saying to a worried looking Fred Smart;

".......and it's no good telling me that Mr Brooker said it was ok young man. This business of handing out free spares to the works riders from the window at the back of the factory has GOT to stop! That front wheel is coming out of your wages!!!"

Come on folks......have a go! Make us laugh! You know you want to! We could all do with a few giggles at the moment...

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 15/11/2010, 04:01 PM. Reason: Pic added.

caption

Clearly, the JIT principle was failing on the main production line. Where were the optional ball ended levers?

Returning from lunch in the penthouse kitchen, Bert began to think..................

Bert wondered when he could test ride the new machine....

Bert mused on a radical front suspension. Telescopic, upside down, rising rate, progressive damping, - NO. That banana on his desk would be the key. Derry.....

Phil

Comment

That's the spirit!

Ha ha!!!

Great stuff Phil, especially the last one....!

Brian.

Comment

caption a deux

The last TES. What can we call it's replacement?

Call the elf n safety Bert me hands stuck..........

Comment

A couple more!

Bert; " Do you really expect me to believe that Mr Goodfellow told you to paint the cycle parts brown because it would hide the mud...?!"

(Sorry Chris! It could just as easily have been Bert saying; "That's not Moorland Blue....do it again!!!" Hope it raises a smile mate!)

Brian.
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 15/11/2010, 01:26 PM. Reason: Shpellyng....!

Comment

You might laugh brian , lots of spares went out of the back door and when Bert saw the first green MX in the Comp Shop he actually made us repaint in blue .

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris!

Good to see you on here mate, and hope the Anglian is progressing well.

Yes indeed, I had in mind those very same stories you told us about restoring one of Berts bikes for him and having to redo the paint..! And the spares supply 'outlet'! They just came back to me somehow as I was looking at that pic!

All the best,

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                Hi Chris!

Good to see you on here mate, and hope the Anglian is progressing well.

Yes indeed, I had in mind those very same stories you told us about restoring one of Berts bikes for him and having to redo the paint..! And the spares supply 'outlet'! They just came back to me somehow as I was looking at that pic!

All the best,

Brian.
                We need Riflegreen!

Nice to see ya back Chris!!

KS

Comment

I'll second that Kenny!

Brian.

Comment

Thanks guys , Brian , I'm lost without Woolworths , don't know where to get my paint now .

haven't started the Anglian yet but have lots of bits ready for the build .

Bert is saying " I wish Derry would stop selling bits to the works riders " . ( truth is stranger than fiction )

Chris

Comment

Ha ha! Nice one Chris!

You know we mean every word too mate-we've missed you on here.

Yes indeed, the demise of Woollies caused great consternation amongst the faithfull in the search for Moorland Blue, whatever that actually is of course!

If you haven't already, have a look in the 'Paint' section on here sometime for a bit of a giggle (and some handy sources of the fabled 'Blue Nectar'!)-we've even got a flippin' song about it now, (and a chord chart for appropriate musical accompaniment, but that was my fault!)

Glad to hear the parts are coming togther for the Anglian mate, and I guess now we know where they all came from..!

Brian.

Comment

Not so much a caption

Guessing that this was taken about 63/64. There is still one thing in common today. You still need a good selection of hammers and mallets to bang the thing together. Who needs finnesse..........

Comment

Bert Says............

"Don't rush son, in 48 years time, it'l still look like that, stuck in the corner of a workshop in the Midlands. It's owner promising to finish it every year since 1995!"

One day I WILL finish it! HONEST!

Comment

Brilliant!!!

Ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers lads, factual and hilarious, all at the same time!

Very funny indeed Peter, thanks for that!

Hey Phil, Chris said exactly the same thing at Battlesbridge last year, when he mentioned the wonderous collection of spikes, implements, thump-ometers and persuaders on hand at the factory to (ahem!) 'assist' things into place...Proper 'beast' kit eh...

Right, I'm off to find me Stillsons.....!

Brian.

Comment

Plan B

Peter

Sounds like a plan..............

Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X