project thumper new owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• project thumper new owner

Hello I have recently acquired my first greeves, that is described on the forum as project thumper. I had already bought a bsa c15 bottom end with the thought of putting it into another frame and saw this for sale and could not resist as it was so nicely put together. I would like to use it as a green lane bike probably mostly in the isle of mann . I may even have a go at some pre 60s scrambling but as a trials rider it would be new territory to me. My question is what would be the easiest way of registering it for the road ? The number on the headstock is 14171/TA which seems a little high for the year ? I realise this is not a factory model ! An age related plate would be lovely but a q plate would do . I have been on the dvla website a few times but it seems to produce what I presume a migraine feels like . Many thanks Jonathan Dow

Originally posted by Jonathan Dow View Post
    Hello I have recently acquired my first greeves, that is described on the forum as project thumper. I had already bought a bsa c15 bottom end with the thought of putting it into another frame and saw this for sale and could not resist as it was so nicely put together. I would like to use it as a green lane bike probably mostly in the isle of mann . I may even have a go at some pre 60s scrambling but as a trials rider it would be new territory to me. My question is what would be the easiest way of registering it for the road ? The number on the headstock is 14171/TA which seems a little high for the year ? I realise this is not a factory model ! An age related plate would be lovely but a q plate would do . I have been on the dvla website a few times but it seems to produce what I presume a migraine feels like . Many thanks Jonathan Dow
    Hi Jonathan welcome aboard. Yes your frame number does look a bit high as the TA trials model had a 4 digit number starting with 8001/TA going onto 9001/TA and that series was only used for the 1958 season going to a 59/1000 series in 1959. Also the TA did not have the taper roller head bearings. Can you post a pic of stamping?
    Looks like a possible re stamping. If it does not tie up with Greeves records that may present a problem getting it registered. I assume its the bike discussed in this tread http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...roject+thumper
    Assuming you do not have any paperwork linking it to an existing reg No the first step is to get a dating certificate, John Collard aka 'druid' on here deals with dating certs. There is a fee. If it cant be dated you have a problem which may end up on a Q plate.
    Its then a case of filling out a V55/5 form https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...or-vehicle.pdf
    & sending it in with the registration fee to DVLA who hopefully will then issue an age related number & V5C so you get it on free historic tax. 'tony' on here has done a few bikes recently so will be able to help you with form filling.

One other option, (you say you would use the bike mostly in the IoM), so maybe the answer would be to register it over there, not sure what the IoM registration system is like but I think it may be simpler & less 'red tape' than mainland UK. You would be able to ride the bike over here for a limited period. but you would though need to be a resident of the IoM or have it registered to someone there.
    One further option would be to buy an alloy beam with a koshure number & swap it over, even better if you can get one with a V5c.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 30/01/2017, 11:28 AM.

Comment

This from another forum recently
      ""I just had a very long conversation with Mr Davis of the DVLA vehicle co ordination unit, following DVLA refusal to issue me a V5, for a C70 I bought in bits, for which I had an old style V5.

I bought the bike in December, It's not been on the road apparently since 1981. It was not on the DVLA database, however I had the old V5.

Sent it in, long wait, this morning I get a letter from DVLA Kits and Rebuilds D4, whoever they are. Refusing to issue a document, unless I present the bike for examination, complete, and in an MOT'able condition.

After I railed at the chap telling him it wasn't in their remit and I expected a V5 by return of post, I calmed down a bit and we spoke at length about DVLA policy and restorations.

He's guided me to INF 26, which I've not yet looked at, as I wanted to get this down before I forgot. The long and short of it seems to be there's a fair bit of skulduggery going on, and DVLA are on the case. Not least one car marque, that is being investigated as newer models are being cloned with old registrations to avoid tax.

So just be aware. DVLA will only be issuing V5's for vehicles that have been off the road for a long period, at their discretion. They are on the case, be warned!"""

Dogsbody

Comment

Originally posted by Dogsbody View Post
        This from another forum recently
        ""I just had a very long conversation with Mr Davis of the DVLA vehicle co ordination unit, following DVLA refusal to issue me a V5, for a C70 I bought in bits, for which I had an old style V5.

I bought the bike in December, It's not been on the road apparently since 1981. It was not on the DVLA database, however I had the old V5.

Sent it in, long wait, this morning I get a letter from DVLA Kits and Rebuilds D4, whoever they are. Refusing to issue a document, unless I present the bike for examination, complete, and in an MOT'able condition.

After I railed at the chap telling him it wasn't in their remit and I expected a V5 by return of post, I calmed down a bit and we spoke at length about DVLA policy and restorations.

He's guided me to INF 26, which I've not yet looked at, as I wanted to get this down before I forgot. The long and short of it seems to be there's a fair bit of skulduggery going on, and DVLA are on the case. Not least one car marque, that is being investigated as newer models are being cloned with old registrations to avoid tax.

So just be aware. DVLA will only be issuing V5's for vehicles that have been off the road for a long period, at their discretion. They are on the case, be warned!"""

Dogsbody
        Whats happened here is that the reg number has gone into DVLA's archived records. During the early 1980's vehicles that were not regularly taxed were struck off. However this should not be a problem in resurrecting the number unless there is a problem with the number being cloned onto a later vehicle. So the inspection procedure is quite common now due as you say to skulduggery going on with certain car clubs. If the frame number on your C70 has not been tampered with & its assembled into an MoT passable bike it should not be a problem. DVLA just want to make sure the number has not been put on a 2016 twist & go scooter.

Comment

John, wasn't my bike. Just for info really. With the removal of tax and MOT requirement for pre 60 stuff some people taking the Michael apparently. Dogsbody

Comment

I wonder if the feedback was of any interest/use to Mr Dow as he does not appear to have replied to the thread

Comment

Frustrating, isn't it......

Brian.

Comment

I think that we should encourage basic users to join the club.
                The very nature of our club is to be helpful and giving if a little grumpy sometimes but why not try a few more member only services????
                I know we need promote Greeves at every opportunity and its hard to ignore people that need our advice but it seem easy for people to ignore a polite update or thank you.

Obviously the man will immediately send a message and make me look like a twat but thats ok because all my good friends already know that I am one.

Comment

Now that scares me.
                  I have seen you when you are not bitter.

Anyway. I don't know enough to answer questions, I am only a young lad compared to all you lot.

Comment

project thumper

Flipping heck I did not realise my tardiness would create so much bother . I will try and put up a photo of the frame number shortly, I have read Dave Higgins information about the build and realise I may not to be able to register it under an age related number . I was just looking for advise, a q plate would do me . I am certainly not trying a fast ONE .

Comment

Flipping heck I did not realise my tardiness would create so much bother . I will try and put up a photo of the frame number shortly, I have read Dave Higgins information about the build and realise I may not to be able to register it under an age related number . I was just looking for advise, a q plate would do me . I am certainly not trying a fast ONE .
                      Looks like a Q plate then Jonathan, but this will involve a single vehicle approval which involves a lot of form filling, inspections & expense. There will have to be modifications made to the bike on 'elth n safety' issues. As mentioned in another recent thread. A local guy who built a Yamaha engined Greeves went through this procedure & told me it was a nightmare, he had to weld extra metal to so called sharp edges on fork tubes as well as lots of other mods. (see this thread for details of that bike) http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...Yamaha+Greeves
                      There maybe also an issue with insurance, insurance companies dont like Q plates, & it wont be eligible for historic tax or classic insurance.
                      Your better bet may be to obtain another suitable alloy beam with a kosher frame number, one with a V5c or old buff logbook even better, and change it over.
                      Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/02/2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Yes that looks like it may be the best bet the q plate route sounds a right royal pain in the a$%*e, however I will persevere with this machine as I love it. Another option would be to take up vintage mx but as a trials boy and being known by my road riding friends as captain slow my only goal would be to not finish last ! . Many thanks for all your replies .I will keep up with updates of my progress although like my road riding and having other motorcycle projects things happen slowly.

Comment

Yes that looks like it may be the best bet the q plate route sounds a right royal pain in the a$%*e, however I will persevere with this machine as I love it. Another option would be to take up vintage mx but as a trials boy and being known by my road riding friends as captain slow my only goal would be to not finish last ! . Many thanks for all your replies .I will keep up with updates of my progress although like my road riding and having other motorcycle projects things happen slowly.
                          Hi there,
                          Please try a few classic races as Higgo needs company at the back of the field now that I am faster and moving up

Glad you love the bike.
                          Its proper built and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins
                            ooh! you bitch!!!! but will not be out at all this year on greeves....only twinshocks.....
                            I have got a nice new Mk2 twinshock, let me know the races and I will try to turn up. I cant race the Mk2 Greeves in the Greeves championship for some reason so needs an outing or two with some nice slow guys

Comment

Working...
                            X