Greeves Models!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Models!

Another interest of mine is model making, and as I'm sure many members will be aware, over the years some interesting Greeves models and 'miniatures' have been produced. To go with my recent posts on 'Greeves Memorabilia' and 'Art' I thought his would make an interesting new topic to add.

I've currently got a couple of interesting 'projects' on the go Greeves model wise, and will post more on these when they are completed. Watch this space!

Many of these items still come up for sale (try EBay, as usual!), although their collectability has pushed prices ever upward. If you want anything like this to add to your collection I would suggest now is the time! Some of the items available are genuine and some are the inevitable 'repros', so make sure you have a good look at what you're buying before jumping in!

Here are some examples of what's 'out there'.

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 09/08/2010, 10:30 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

'Britains' Greeves Models.

A well known example is from the 'Britains' diecast range. As with many of these items, they are worth more with the box!

Here are a couple of examples of the model they produced.

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 31/05/2011, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Greeves 'Snap-Together' Japanese Mini Kit.

Another small scale model was this very rare 'Japanese produced snap-together kit. I've never seen one that has been built but have this image of the label from the bag the kit came in.

Brian.
      Attached Files

Comment

Italian 'Protar' 1/9 Scale Greeves 36MX4 Model Kit.

This is probably, along with the 'Brittains' Challenger toy, the best known of all the Greeves models produced. They do come up for sale now and then, but prices are creeping ever upwards as they become scarce...Some of the other models in the range can fetch well in excess of £100 these days! I got mine from Julian Ryder (MotoGP commentator and author), and he let me have it for a really good price "because it was going to a good home!" (Thanks Jules, yer a diamond!)

Once built it makes for a truly handsome model to display, and as many of the kit parts are 'pre coloured', an excellent result can be achieved without painting. This can be seen in the one of the pics below, where it has been built 'straight from the box' (to use the modeller's term.)

However, they look even better if they are properly painted prior to assembly, like all model kits. I'll have more to post about one of these fantastic kits in the future, so stay tuned!

Brian.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 26/11/2010, 11:07 PM. Reason: Tidy-up.

Comment

Japanese 'Scratch-Built' Greeves Oulton.

An amazing variation I found on the 'Protar' 36MX4 kit is this incredible 'Scratch-Built' (to use another modeller's term) Greeves Oulton, built by a Japanese enthusiast.

As can be seen, the Protar kit was used as a starting point, then things like the forks etc etc were produced from modelling materials from scratch.

I think it's just brilliant-what a fantastic talent this guy has! Just look at those forks....or how about those 'spannies', complete with 'welds'......and the wheels have 'real' spokes (!)...truly mind boggling stuff and so accurate and authentic!

Click on this link for more amazing pictures of this superb model; http://www.cosmos-factory.com/Galler...s/greeves.html

Brian.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 31/05/2011, 10:16 PM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

Now if someone produced a model in that scale that runs and drives the wheel with a working clutch and gearbox (yes I know Albion struggled with that in full size) i would be VERY impressed

Comment

Working...
            X