No announcement yet.

Griffon 380....or 360....or QUB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soggy - have you not seen the 'Motorcycle Trader (I think) info sheet? This gives a lot of Griffon info. There re drawings for the Greeves service tool for removing the circlips, basically just a 'U' shaped piece of metal with a hole in the top.

Regarding the differences between 2 and 4 stroke carbs, have you seen the articles I wrote for Leading Link?

I can send you these at the weekend once I get hold of my main PC if you so wish.

Cheers, Rob

Comment

I haven't seen either of these Rob. Kims heads-up to the article on Amals earlier on this thread was really useful, but there is no such thing as too much education, so a copy would be much appreciated.

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,
        How is the Griffon restoration going?
        Did you get the gearbox sorted?
        Craig

Comment

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
          Hi Paul,
          How is the Griffon restoration going?
          Did you get the gearbox sorted?
          Craig
          Hi Craig, still struggling with the clutch basket. Just can't compress it enough to release the little spring clips. Scott / Rob...any help with pics of the tool would be really useful. I keep having a go with clamps and vice and a bit of controlled force, but can't seem to get any compression at all. I suspect this is one of those jobs that once you know the trick it is a piece of cake.....unfortunately I don't know the trick. Perhaps I should go and eat a piece of cake instead, I can do that.

In other news, I've found a special metals welder in Sheffield who was not only willing to repair various bits, he was really enthusiastic about the project. So cracked gearbox casing now fixed, hole in primary chaincase fixed, and chunk missing from fork stantion fixed. So plug time.. see Nick at JNC Welding for all your metal repair needs. Nice work, nice price, nice bloke.

Stantions off to Dynasurf for hard chroming. I'd forgotten you'd already suggested them earlier on this thread Craig, but phoned them as Philpotts have an 8-10 wk turnaround time.

So progress is being made but as to clutch basket ....HELP!!!

Will upload some pics for your delectation

Paul

Comment

welding work has come out well. Crack in gearbox main case required plenty of fill but mating face has ground back fine.How to get 5 spline clutch basket off and 6 spline on...preferably without the use of a large hammer
            Attached Files

Comment

Hiya

Il take a picture of said tool when I next go to my Parents house as the tool is there..

It's only a a threaded piece of bar that goes down each clutch post individually.. Said piece of bar is on a swivel bracket attached to another piece of rod.. It's hard to describe but really simple when you see it!

Il be in touch

Regards

Scott

Comment

Much appreciated Scott.

Paul

Comment

Try the Morley Method Soggy

Always start the job the evening before race day

Take the clutch basket select an unsuitable socket
                  Place socket on back of clutch thingy
                  Hold in vice (optional )
                  Depress weight of clutch onto socket
                  Scrabble around for suitable long nose pliers
                  As the spring is compressed attempt to remove clip
                  Release clip ... and here's the clever bit ...
                  always look the other way as the spring explodes across the garage like a bullet
                  Repeat the procedure 6 times
                  Swear a lot ( not optional)
                  Spend rest of evening / night searching garage for springs
                  Hastily rebuild clutch in early hours
                  Quick kip ( optional )
                  Off to race day with ready made excuse for not winning
                  Simples 😂😂👍👍

Comment

Thanks Kim.

Given the superb presentation of your bikes I would assume your workshop would be surgically clean and fully supplied with every unique tool necessary. I will certainly try your method, but before I start, could you clarify where use of tie wraps fits into your methodology?

Paul

Comment

One small step for man......

Done it! clutch taken apart, new 6 spline centre fitted, and clutch built back up. With vital help from wifey to slip out the spring clips whilst I compress the springs. Kim, how you do it on your own without the special tool is beyond me - you definitely need 3 or 4 hands for this job. Perhaps this is the secret missing step where cable ties come in.

Anyway, now I've had the clutch apart it all seems so obvious, and won't be a problem in future. Thanks to everyone for inputting on this problem - I'm sure there will be another for you in due course.

Cheers

Paul

Comment

Nice one Paul !!

Comment

Valve spring compressor I used held the clutch in the vice (just for stability), put the fork end over the circlips end and pushed from behind with the clamped end of the compressor.
                          You will be able to get a pliers in on the circlips then.

Comment

running cables

Morning Gents. My timing isn't great here as some of you will be living the dream at Maylandsea today - hope its a cracking days racing for you.

A quick favour from you Griffon owners. I'm in final stages of the restoration now but having a real headscratcher regarding running throttle , brake and clutch cables. I had no original cables with the bike, so I'm making them up from scratch. I'm in the dark re length and routing though. If one of you generous chaps could whip your griffon tank off and take a picture from above, it would save me loads of time and puzzlement. And of course potentially having to do it all twice after measuring once, then twice, and still cutting cables too short.

I'll post some pics of the (nearly) finished bike later today for your amusement.

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul
                              You are right Maylandsea was a cracker !!
                              Will drop a report later
                              Re cables I just replaced a throttle cable on my QUB I will measure the cable and casing for you . And take a pic the lead is onvoious once you see it cheers Kim

Comment

Throttle cable casing 43.5 inches and cable 51 inches nipple to nipple . ( as it were ). So clearly 7.5 inches difference between body and internal cable works with a Mikuni at one end and a Magura throttle at the other
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X