Greeves Honda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Honda

A Greeves roadster with a Honda CD200 engine fitted. Lovely job - seen at the VJMC - Greater Manchester and Cheshire section - Classic bike show, at the Bar...

A 1960 25DB Greeves roadster (TYJ 568, frame No 60/3607) with a Honda CD200 engine fitted, seen at the VJMC Greater Manchester and Cheshire section Classic bike show, at the Barn Owl pub in Lymm June 2014.
    Still registered as a 250 close up of engine here http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...pictureid=1140

Vehicle enquiry
    Registration number: TYJ 568
    Taxed
    Tax due: 01 April 2015
    MOT
    Expires: 21 April 2015
    12 Month rate £0.00
    Vehicle make GREEVES
    Date of first registration 08 October 1993
    Year of manufacture 1960
    Cylinder capacity (cc) 250cc
    CO₂Emissions Not available
    Fuel type PETROL
    Export marker No
    Vehicle status Tax not due
    Vehicle colour BLUE
    Vehicle type approval Not available
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 07/09/2015, 09:47 AM. Reason: frame number added

Gronda

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8MMRz7OXhU
    A 1960 DB Greeves roadster (TYJ 568) with a Honda CD200 engine fitted, seen at the VJMC Greater Manchester and Cheshire section Classic bike show, at the Barn Owl pub in Lymm June 2014.
    Still registered as a 250 close up of engine here http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...pictureid=1140

Vehicle enquiry
    Registration number: TYJ 568
    Taxed
    Tax due: 01 April 2015
    MOT
    Expires: 21 April 2015
    12 Month rate £0.00
    Vehicle make GREEVES
    Date of first registration 08 October 1993
    Year of manufacture 1960
    Cylinder capacity (cc) 250cc
    CO₂Emissions Not available
    Fuel type PETROL
    Export marker No
    Vehicle status Tax not due
    Vehicle colour BLUE
    Vehicle type approval Not available
    What a neat little conversion. Interesting.

Keith

Comment

Greeves Honda

What a cracking little bike, an excellent conversion has taken place, i think its nice to see these conversions that people do, I know we all like the originals as nature at the time intended them to be, but nice jobs like this deserve credit and i for one like to see more.

Comment

Gronda Twin!

Well spotted JW, and well said everyone, couldn't agree more....what a cracking little bike!

Wonder where the owner sourced the engine from? In addition to the obvious 'breakers' route, maybe you can buy something like that as a 'unit' at reasonable cost through one of the Chinese bike importers/spares outlets. Could work well in cafe racer or trail bike guise (weight/gearing permitting) too.

Brian.

Comment

The Honda CD200 engine seem a popular one to use in the Greeves, here is another based on a 25DC I spotted earlier (BAS 130) owned by Doug Corder of Hadleigh. Frame No 61/3180
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 23/02/2018, 12:21 AM. Reason: model corrected to 25DC & frame No added

Comment

More Gronda's!

Yes, looks like it fits the Greeves frame just right doesn't it.

I'd be tempted to uprate the front brake if I was using that engine though, or even a classic CD175, another interesting choice perhaps.

Another Honda unit I've often pondered on is the Honda CB250RS single, as KB mentioned also in a recent thread.

But that little twin is ideal for a handy roadster.

Brian.

Comment

CD175's used to wreck their cranks and these were un-serviceable units unless that has changed. Also, those early Jap bikes had a habit of rotting in a way unknown in British bikes. I've seen large portions of swinging arm turn to dust under the mud!

A local VMCC member has fitted a 400cc Super Dream engine into his 1931 Ariel much to the chagrin of certain section members. He still enters it as a '1931 Ariel' mostly just to wind up the spotters! He has made a great job of it, complete with electric start.

Comment

Another Gronda

This one seen recently on the Greeves Facebook page has 160cc Honda single in a 1962 Hawkstone frame. Owner Bob Paradis, of Shelton, Washington, USA (originally from Bury St Edmunds)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by John Wakefield; 19/11/2016, 09:44 PM. Reason: Location of owner added

Comment

I did not see the original posting for this in 2014 but I have just finished something very similar. Mine is a Fannyonda, a Francis Barnett Cruiser 80 (AMC engine) with the same Honda CD200 engine. I picked two engines up at Kempton about a year ago for silly money. They were supposed to go under the bench for a later date but curiosity got the better of me and I spent the next nine months putting it together. I recently did a 70 mile run with the local VMCC and it did not miss a beat. All I did with the engine was new points and plugs and reset the tappets.
                  Someone visiting the Club stand at Popham said he was going to do the same with a Greeves.

I was going to attach a picture but I see I am not allowed to post attachments

Brian

Comment

Interesting Brian, must be better than the AMC engine. You can post a pic as a 'basic' using a link to a photo hosting site

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Magee View Post
                      Mine is a Fannyonda, a Francis Barnett Cruiser 80 (AMC engine) with the same Honda CD200 engine.
                      Rather unfortunate name though...
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Dave,

I have been paying my '£24.00' for about 15 years.

Brian.

Comment

Calling Rob!

I'm sure Rob will be along very shortly to sort out your forum status Brian!

AndyB

Comment

You are right Andy! There you are Brian, you are upgraded and can now post pics.

Thanks JW!

Comment

Working...
                            X