Butler Trials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butler Trials

I am needing some help - images / colour or BW, anything to do with this model
    I have some information from the web but I would like more, I am restoring the bike as close to an original as possible, so far I have the fibs glass yellow tank and mug guards, frame etc, square forks (what springs / rear springs any one know the exhaust look info
    I have the villiers engine (Square barrel) can anyone out they give me any can help.

Have you a copy of Don Morley's book Classic British 2 Stroke Trials Bikes there are 4 pages in there on the Butler & some B&W pics.

Comment

John

I had seen this and passed it by, says 4 stroke in the description on the cover and web
      - I will put this on the Christmas list you can never have to much info.

thank you

Comment

Its the 2 STROKE one you need, the book is long out of print so its a matter of finding a second hand one. They occasionally come up on eBay
        The ISBN number is 0-85045-745-9
        Amazon have some second hand ones listed but over £117

Bloody hell looks like Ill have to put my copy in a bank vault
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 04/09/2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Butler Trials

This may be of help with some info on your bike ,very good site for all
          things pre65 trials including Greeves trials bikes .
          Simon.

Comment

Butler Trials/Chris Butler Mouldings/Kit Bikes of the 60's and 70's etc....

There's a couple of pics and a bit of info here on this thread (see posts #41 and #42); http://greeves-riders.org.uk/forums/...+70%27s&page=5

A quick search on Google produced a few images that may also link to further useful info....https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bu...UIBygC#imgrc=_

Brian.
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 05/09/2016, 03:07 PM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

Thank you for all these links - I had already been trolling the web for information and had the same results, thank you for you efforts.
              The book ! That is expensive for a christmas present (also that money go to re spoke the wheel etc)

Aid

Comment

Here are the Butler pages from the Don Morley book
                Attached Files
                Last edited by John Wakefield; 05/09/2016, 11:05 AM.

Comment

John

They are great.. thank you
                  Can I ask (could you tale a close up of the line drawing)

Comment

Here it is
                    Attached Files

Comment

Butler Tempest

I own and ride a 1964 Butler Tempest, frame no:116 of 200 built, having rebuilt it to ride in classic trials. Like you I struggled to find anything about them, you already have all the info I have, by the look of it. I fitted 340mm Betor gas shocks front and rear, with 40lb springs, and these work well in competition, but if you're going for the original look shrouded NJBs or Hagon would be close.
                      The fully enclosed rear bodywork was long gone, but a Greeves rear mudguard from Paul Powell (Cotton Spares) and a pattern Butler front (from a guy who's name escapes me but he advertises on ebay, I picked mine up from him at Kempton autojumble) make it look the part.
                      All the plastics and tank are white, with a dark green frame and forks. The gel coat on the tank was red, so I suspect the original purchaser could specify the colour scheme
                      I fitted Nametab electronic ignition to mine, which has been faultless, but I don't think they're available now. The exhaust fitted when I got it was truly horrible, so I fabricated a well tucked in system with an expansion chamber and small alloy silencer, which seems to work ok on the 32A with Greeves square barrel.
                      It is light, despite the frames appearance, and steers well. I took a series of pictures during the rebuild, if you're interested PM me your email address and I'll forward some on.
                      cheers, Jeff

Comment

Jeff

Sounds like you the man with the info - The one I have found has a fibaglass tank and is in yellow which I have been told was the original colour (cant check as the image I have seen so far are all black and white!) your info on the springs sounds good to know, its has a british hub on the back with steel rims, sound like I will have to fabricate the exhaust, - will try and PM you

Comment

Originally posted by Aids View Post
                          Jeff

Sounds like you the man with the info - The one I have found has a fibaglass tank and is in yellow which I have been told was the original colour (cant check as the image I have seen so far are all black and white!) your info on the springs sounds good to know, its has a british hub on the back with steel rims, sound like I will have to fabricate the exhaust, - will try and PM you
                          A friend of mine had one back in the day & tank was black.

Comment

As you say, all the (black and white) images available show the plastics to be very light in colour, the main reason I went for white is because that's what colour the available replacements were!

Comment

Butler with yellow f/b tank....

From looking through the 'Google' images page, I picked up this one that was sold by Verralls some time back, in colour, with a yellow tank....

Hope the pics are of some help!

Brian.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 05/09/2016, 10:19 PM. Reason: Tempest removed from post title.

Comment

Working...
                              X