Oultons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spondon Oulton Mid 70's

Here is a picture of the Spondon Oulton when it was being raced virtually every weekend. To keep it reliable it needed a new piston quite often. Terry Sylvester Motorcycles in Holmfirth always had a good supply of them. Our Mum became an expert at feeding the rings into the barrel as it was lowered down into place

You will see it was before the time that noise restrictions came into force! The bike just behind it is the Spondon SELVA. The SELVA (Spondon Engineering Lightweight 500) used the prototype 500cc Greeves scrambler engine. Bob put another cog in the box to make it a 5 speeder, but it was never a success due to reliability problems and the best result was only a third at Darley Moor. We bought the bike minus the engine and put in a tuned BSA B50 engine into the SELVA frame. The most memorable thing about this combination was the vibration! Later it was split up again and the frame sold separately. The bike did look a beauty though, with the Spondon front forks and disk, the cable operated rear disk and the exquisite tank and frame.

Comment

This is our Oulton around 1973. The Eagle Eyed will spot the Castrol timing disk hanging on the wall which I think was given away free in 'Motor Cycle Mechanics'. Also you will see this was the time when you could make as much noise as you liked!

The bike you can just see behind it, was the SELVA. (Spondon Engineering Lightweight Five Hundred). This originally had the 500cc Greeves engine fitted but with the 'box converted to 5 speeds. The best that Bob Stevenson ever achieved on it was a 3rd in the 500cc class at Darley Moor as the engine was un-reliable. We had a 500 BSA B50 engine fitted. The SELVA frame however shows the beginning of all the bits a pieces which were to make Spondon a leader in racing frames and parts.

Just notice how the exhaust pipe tucks in behind the frame tubes with the reverse cone megaphone emerging tight to the swinging arm.

Comment

Our Spondon Oulton now fitted with a Spondon disk brake to give it an extra edge in Classic Bike racing.

Comment

Amazing history, thanks for sharing!

Comment

What an excellent thread! There is just so much info here plus those historic letters from the factory. This little lot would make a fantastic article(s) for Leading Link.

Good to see you on here Wil (even if it was a whie ago), your bike sounded and went marvelously on the Island this year (at least it did to me using my 'Iinternational Spectator Licence' from the side of the road with a beer in my hand!) It was tough but somebody had to do it! Seriously though, full marks for upholding the Greeves racing story into the 21st century and I must say, your bike looks a treat too! Something else for Leading Link?!

Comment

Working...
            X