This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting photos

There's been a couple of comments from "Basic Users" recently musing about how to post photos. The answer is chaps, that only GRA members can post photos.

For GRA members who are unsure (and it isn't covered very well in FAQ), you pull up the "Reply" screen, write your message, then scroll down to "Manage Attachments" click on that and simply upload the file from your hard drive.

The size of file is supposed to be limited, otherwise it may not be accepted.
    If you size your photo (as a Jpeg) to 6"x4" @200dpi it will upload OK.
    Colin Sparrow

Colin, I have found that I can post photos via Photobucket, despite still showing as a Basic User. No wonder the size and quality of the pics is not all that good if we are limited to 6x4 at 200dpi. I'm scanning at a minimum of 300dpi, and 600dpi if someone needs a good quality print.

Comment

I was wondering how you managed to post photos at that size, well done.

My suggested file size is to fit in with the "official" way of posting photos - too large a file and the forum software simply rejects it.

Could I ask that you reduce the file size a bit, particularly the picture size if you're going the Photobucket route. Some of us have slower broadband and have to wait for large photos to download.

Wouldn't want to have to delete anyone's photos...
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Brian - you are basic no longer! Cheers, Rob

Comment

Since the pics are meant to be seen on screen, not printed out for publication, 6" x 4" @ 200dpi sounds perfectly sensible to me ( long-time operator of colour inkjet printers up to A1 size, retired now thanks)

Comment

1963 tes

I hope this works, my TES
            BRIAN
            Attached Files

Comment

photos

How good is that you must be psychic I am just about to put up a couple of pictures and was wondering how it all worked and there you are a knight in shining moorland blue armour watch this space.
              The pictures are of my Greeeves Kit and "Moorland Blue" as supplied by RSPaints.Make up your own mind if they got it right! I have no intention of repainting it again so I'm going to call it the RS Special.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by mikerwt; 01/01/2015, 09:37 PM. Reason: to add explaination of picyures

Comment

How To Post Pics - A Guide In Pictures, Post #1 of 2.

This one comes up all the time, so I thought I would try and see if I could post something to help nail it down once and for all. This guide is for my system (Windows Vista), but other systems will be similar, and is aimed at uploading pics directly from a forum users computer. (Note that I have understandably 'redacted' some of the images I've uploaded taken directly from my own computer screen.)

Here goes then....To keep things as simple as possible, I'll start at the point where the post has been typed and is ready to 'Submit' onto the forum, and it's time to attach some pics to go with it.

1.) Scroll down the screen and just below where the 'Submit' button is, there is another area that contains the 'Manage Attachments' button. I've placed the cursor on the button to highlight it. (See Pic 1.)

2.) Click on the 'Manage Attachments' button and it will open a new screen, the 'Manage Attachments' window. (see Pic 2.) The next job is to find the pic to be uploaded from your computer. To do this click on the 'Browse' button (highlighted by the cursor.)

3.) This will open up yet another screen (window), this time showing locations on your computer system via a list on the left of the window. (See Pic 3.) Pictures can be located in various locations (pictures, documents, downloads etc) but to keep things simple I will assume the image to be uploaded is in 'Pictures' (highlighted by the cursor in Pic 3.) Click on 'Pictures' on the list and the images/pics you have stored on your system will then appear to the right of the list in the window.

4.) Use the slider-bar (See Pic 4, arrowed in red) to scroll down the window and view your images/pics until you find the pic you want to upload. In this case I've used the 'Greeves Keyring' pic as an example, highlighted by the cursor. The pic needs to be sellected now, so click on it and it's name will appear in the blank 'File Name' field at the bottom of the screen (to the right of the 'Open' and 'Cancel' buttons.) Don't worry if you select the wrong pic by accident! Just go ahead and place your cursor over the right pic and click that instead - you'll see the 'File Name' field change to to the new pic.

5.) All that remains now to finish selecting the pic is to click on the 'Open' button (see Pic 5, highlighted by cursor.) This will return you to the 'Manage Attachments' window in order to complete the uploading process.

(Note; Final instructions to follow in next post.)

Brian.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Brian Thompson; 07/01/2015, 06:11 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

How To Post Pics - A Guide In Pictures, Post #2 of 2.

To continue......

6.) We should now be back at the 'Manage Attachments' window (See pic 6 in sequence, pic 1 below.) Notice that the field next to the 'Upload' button now contains details of your pic you are uploading, having previously selected it in Step 5. Click on the 'Upload' button (highlighted by the cursor) and a message will appear....'File(s) Uploading....please wait.' When the message goes, the file has now been uploaded and it's 'name' will appear on the screen (See pic 2 below, pic 7 in the sequence.) Note that each 'file name' now has a 'Remove' button to it's right, should you ever want to delete the image from your post, now or later on. At this point, you may decide to carry on and upload another pic (five pics can be uploaded in total per post.) If this is the case click 'Browse' and repeat Steps 2-6. Pics will appear in the post in the order (left to right) they are uploaded in. If the upload fails, it is likely because the file size is too big and it will need to be resized first. This facility is available on most computer systems, but I won't go into it here....maybe on another post if required? All being well, the forum software will automatically resize the image for you (he says, fingers crossed....!)

7.) Otherwise, if you are ready to 'Submit' your post and attached pic, simply click 'Close Window' (highlighted by cursor - See pic 2 below, pic 7 in sequence.) This will take us back to the original 'posting page' where we started in Pic 1 in the sequence.

8.) The final step in the process is simply to 'Submit' the post to the forum (See Pic 3 below, pic 8 in the sequence.) Click on 'Submit' (arrowed in red.) I've found sometimes that the forum logs me out at this stage (!), but don't panic if this happens!!! Simply fill in the logging-in fields as usual when asked, and when the system let's you back in to the forum your post (complete with pic(s)) should be there for all to see.

To add or remove any pics, just click on 'Edit' for the post in question, then scroll down to 'Manage Attachments' and click that. This will bring you back to the 'Manage Attachments' screen and to delete a pic just click the 'Remove' button to the right of each image uploaded in the displayed list. Remember they appear left to right in the post, in order of uploading, up to five max.

I really hope this guide will help members out, and it sounds a lot more complicated than it is when written down this way! The reality is it's only a few clicks once you've done it a few times and are used to the procedure. I suggest having a practice by opening up the forum TWICE (on two seperate windows) and have this guide on one and your 'practice post' on the other. To set this up, log on to the forum as usual then find this thread. Then minimise the page and go back to internet browser and open up the forum on that page, choose an area for your post and away you go! If it all goes wrong, you can always delete your practice post.

I'm no expert, but if anyone has any further questions (or problems) I'd be happy to have a go at fielding them. Between all of us, I'm sure we should be able to help out with most members questions.

Be great to get this one sorted once and for all.

Brian.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Brian Thompson; 07/01/2015, 06:00 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Guide to posting pics, with pics.

Has anyone tried this yet (see posts 9 and 10.)?

Did it work ok for you?

Do I need to change anything to make it easier to use?

Would members like to see more of this kind of help and advice re using the forum?

Either way, I'd appreciate some feedback chaps....It wasn't a two minute post after all....

Brian, just trying to be helpful.

Comment

Posting photos

I had worked it out a while ago ,but thanks for posting .Do you work full time posting on the forum or do you have time for another job?
                      Simon
                      Last edited by trialrider17; 12/01/2015, 03:33 PM.

Comment

I must admit I have not tried to follow the previous instructions, mainly because I worked it out long ago.....but this has got to be the most complex way of adding photos to a Forum that I have ever seen! Not to mention somewhat limiting, although it does seem to resize photos, so don't worry too much about what size and dpi you are adding, just bung them in and if if throws anything back, you may have to resize it. Post it on Facebook, copy it off there and then bring it back to GRA!

Comment

Originally posted by trialrider17 View Post
                          I had worked it out a while ago ,but thanks for posting .Do you work full time posting on the forum or do you have time for another job?
                          Simon
                          Hi Simon,

PM sent to your inbox.

Brian.

Comment

Posting pics guide - Feedback etc.

Thanks for the feedback.

I just timed myself posting this, including a pic (located on my system prior to posting) and it took me less than two minutes (including the typing) and just seven clicks.

Brian.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                              I must admit I have not tried to follow the previous instructions, mainly because I worked it out long ago.....but this has got to be the most complex way of adding photos to a Forum that I have ever seen! Not to mention somewhat limiting, although it does seem to resize photos, so don't worry too much about what size and dpi you are adding, just bung them in and if if throws anything back, you may have to resize it. Post it on Facebook, copy it off there and then bring it back to GRA!
                              I think we'd rather people did resize as I originally said. This is because there is a limit to the amount of storage space on the server, and if we force it to store whacking great files we could run out of space allowance.
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                              X