Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Grass Track and Speedway Bikes.

Following on from Cray's thread in new members, (see here; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...=3949#post3949) I thought it might be good idea to start a new 'dedicated' thread on this topic in order to make it a bit easier to find. To get the ball rolling here's some pics of Dicky Faggetter's Hagon Greeves Challenger grass tracker as promised.

They were taken at Battlesbridge in 2009.

As an aside, there's actually an interesting looking Greeves grasstrack bike 'project' currently for sale on EBay; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Greeves-250-gr...item4cf243ca00 If anyone on the forum buys it maybe they can let us know!

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 12/10/2010, 11:33 AM. Reason: Pics attached.

Don 'DR' Smith's 1968 Speedway Bike.

An interesting variation on the theme is the Speedway bike that Don Smith built.

Here's a link to some pics and a write-up;

Grasstrack, Longtrack and Shortrack Motorcycles - The Machines and their History

Brian.

***POST UPDATED***

[I've just noticed that the link I originally posted above is unfortunately now 'dead'/no longer working. In order to preserve this important peice of Greeves history, I've pasted all the pics and text from the original link in full below. The following is the only material I have ever seen giving details of this interesting bike. I did my best with the attached pics, but they were fairly small to begin with and didn't want to loose any more detail by enlarging them too much. With grateful thanks to www.cybermotorcycle.com for their forbearance. Brian.]

Don ‘DR’ Smith’s 1968 Prototype Greeves Speedway Bike.

"This bike could revolutionise Speedway racing...!” The speaker was world championship runner-up Bengt Jansson, and the bike was Don Smith's prototype production Greeves powered speedway machine.

Jansson tried the 165lb flyweight machine at its first ever outing at Hackney Wick stadium. His only criticism - slightly down on power at the start and coming out of corners, and the too-stiff front suspension. But these two faults were easily corrected. Smith bolted on instant power by changing the 360cc cylinder and piston for Greeves new 390cc set-up, and tuning for methanol instead of petrol. Softer fork springs were fitted.

Now the ex-Greeves works trials rider is making further modifications and working on a second prototype which he and Jansson will ride. If it is successful, and successful to Smith means beating the JAP and ESO-engined machines, he will go into production.

The first prototype frame was built in low-quality tubing so that any design weakness would quickly show up. Despite this, it gave no trouble and the second machine will have an almost identical layout, but will be made from T45 or Reynolds 531 Tubing. The frame is of bolted-up construction and individual tubes, most of which are straight, can be easily replaced. With a conventional frame, a bent tube can mean a major repair job, possibly a disaster to a top rider who needs to keep his machine in service practically every night of the week. Wheelbase is 51.5 inches and seat height 28ins.

The 390cc engine is to be fitted with a 1.25 inch-choke Phillips fuel injector. Although it would be possible to open up the inlet tract another eighth of an inch, Smith believes that this, while adding to the top-end bhp of the engine, would rob power at lower revs. Many proprietary parts are used in the first prototype, but the second will have Don's own countershaft, magnesium hubs and, possibly a diaphragm clutch. To keep dirt out of the engine, a paper filter is fitted over a still air-box under the seat and a shield is used to protect the drive side crankshaft seal.

No price for production models had yet been fixed but Smith aimed to make it competitive with those of JAP and ESO. And he insists that he is not hoping to get a two-stroke speedway class under way, and added "I'm out to prove my stroker will beat the rest".

However, the Greeves project never really got off the ground. His Motorcycle shop business and the fact that he was dashing to and fro from Spain where he was helping develop a new Montesa trials machine meant that Don never completed developing the engine as he had wished.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 09/06/2012, 08:35 PM. Reason: Original link dead-text and pics reposted (See Note in post above.)

Comment

Now that's a machine I have never seen before! Very interesting and maybe something for Leading Link one day.

Maybe a bit more research might dig something out?

Good one Brian.

Comment

'DR's Speedway Stroker.

I'm really pleased you found it interesting Rob.

I've been aware of the bike for a few years now but this thread seemed like the ideal opportunity to give it an airing. The forum is great for getting stuff like this 'out there', and hopefully someone may be able to come forward with a bit more info (yes please!) In the meantime I'll see if I can dig anything else up.

I fully agree that it would be fantastic to see something about this interesting bike recorded in 'LL', as yet another example of 'DR's many achievements and innovations-what a legend!

Brian.

Comment

Grasstrack Machines

Hi Rob,
          I have a few pictures of my Greeves grasstrack machine that got me to 2 British finals. It started off in a Hagon frame, then finally in an Antig. It is still being raced by Chris Norris and I am glad to say still winning.

P.S. I saw Don Smith ride the 360 speedway bike at West Ham Stadium.

Terry Sewell

Comment

Hi Terry drop me an email with pics and I will post them for you . And welcome to the Forum . Take care will see you at Stebbing cheers Kim

Comment

Don Smith's Speedway Bike.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to flag-up that I've updated my original post (see Post #2 in this thread) on this interesting machine as I'd noticed that the original link I gave there is no longer working.

I've added the original text and pics from the link directly to my post instead, as I thought it was important not to loose this little nugget of Greeves history.

With grateful thanks to www.cybermotorcycle.com for their forbearance, and for posting the information originally.

Brian.

Comment

Brian ,

Where have you been hiding ?.

With reference to Don's speedway motor , I built the engine out of new parts for him . The 390cc came about from using an 83mm piston .

As used in the Works 360's .

Chris

Comment

Humbug.

Hi Chris,

Not so much hiding......'lurking' more like.....

It's been a bit quiet on here of late, but I log on each day in the hope someone has posted something. Besides, I've got to let other people have a go now and again...! Thank goodness for the scrambles lads keeping us entertained with their Mortimer thread-go team!

I'm actually off work at the moment with a rather painful case of rotator cuff syndrome. Cortisone injection and physio booked for next week. Can't wait....

Thanks for the additional info on 'DR's' speedway bike. I've tried to dig into this a bit more but can't find anything anywhere...Still, I'm glad I was able to reinstate that post so it didn't get lost.

Hope you're doing ok mate.

Brian.

Comment

Hi Brian ,

Will know in a fortnight if it is back on chemo or not .

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post

I'm actually off work at the moment with a rather painful case of rotator cuff syndrome. Cortisone injection and physio booked for next week. Can't wait....

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Ouch! Sounds nasty.
                      Have you been doing too many windmills (Pete Townsend style) on the guitar??!!!

Hope the injections work.

Cheers,
                      Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post
                        Hi Brian ,

Will know in a fortnight if it is back on chemo or not .

Chris
                        Hi Chris,

I'll be thinking of you mate.

Brian.

Comment

Hi Brian and Chris.

Sorry to hear of your health problems.

All I seem to suffer is miserable-old-git syndrome, hoping that others may make allowances................

Take care, all.

Jonah

Comment

A stadium full of screaming 2 strokes would have raised a few eyebrows I reckon

Colin
                            Attached Files

Comment

John ,

Who is M.Runnacles , involved with the Halstead Club ?.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X