Villiers 34A dating question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villiers 34A dating question

Hi, I have bought a 1959 Scottish 20 TA. Frame 8611/TA. The engine is a 34A number 070D1266
    Can anyone date this engine, maybe 1960 or 1961.
    Thanks

Your engine dates between 1960/2 & was originally fitted to a 24SCS, MCS or MDS so a much later & larger (246cc) engine. Your bike is a 1958 20TA which would have had a 197cc 9E engine possibly 332B**** No doubt someone with a copy of the dispatch records can confirm what original engine number was.

I reviewed this bike when it was on eBay back in July http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ight=8611%2FTA

Comment

John

Thanks for the information. I can't read the link you pasted - never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by bluewater1150 View Post
        John

Thanks for the information. I can't read the link you pasted - never mind.
        That because its in the members area, but this is my post

A tidy bike frame number 8611/TA, so 1958 not 1959 reg 527UYW (age related)
        Engine number relates to a 34A now fitted with 32A barrel, original would have been a 9E, exhaust although neat is a home made system, should have had the standard chrome up and across Villiers system. Home made chainguard, paint work a bit of a mix up, tank should be silver & frame blue, not the other way round Price £3495 far too high, needs to be nearer £2500.

DVLA listing
        Vehicle make: GREEVES
        Date of first registration: June 2017 (a new registration)
        Year of manufacture: 1959
        Cylinder capacity (cc): 250 cc
        CO₂Emissions: 0 g/km
        Fuel type: PETROL
        Export marker: No
        Vehicle status: Tax not due
        Vehicle colour: BLUE
        Vehicle type approval: Not available
        Wheelplan: 2 WHEEL
        Revenue weight: Not available

Comment

Thanks for the post.

What is the difference between a 34A and 32A barrel ?? I've read the 34A has a very high compression (12:1) I see the bore and stroke is the same as other 247cc engines, so was it the piston design or cylinder head, that gave the 34A the hi comp.

I managed to get the bike for slightly under the 3K mark - didn't seem a bad deal when others of similar age are being advertised for £3.5k plus.

I noticed the frame number fell into the 1958 range. Whoever made up the dating certificate and thereafter communicated with DVLA must have a reason to say 1959 - anyway is is pre 1960, which is what I wanted.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bluewater1150 View Post
            Thanks for the post.

What is the difference between a 34A and 32A barrel ?? I've read the 34A has a very high compression (12:1) I see the bore and stroke is the same as other 247cc engines, so was it the piston design or cylinder head, that gave the 34A the hi comp.

I managed to get the bike for slightly under the 3K mark - didn't seem a bad deal when others of similar age are being advertised for £3.5k plus.

I noticed the frame number fell into the 1958 range. Whoever made up the dating certificate and thereafter communicated with DVLA must have a reason to say 1959 - anyway is is pre 1960, which is what I wanted.

Thanks
            The 32A barrel has smaller porting to suit trials & road use and uses a Villiers S25 carb The 34A barrel has larger ports for scrambles and a flange for an 1 1/8" Amal carb. The pistons are the same but the 34A has a high comp head & the 32A a low comp. It is possible to exchange heads

Comment

Nice looking bike - looks like it could make a fine trials iron, Bluewater

Comment

John - I'm trying to determine as much as I can about the engine, so I can tune it accordingly. Are there any obvious outward signs or observations that could enable me to determine whether I have the 34A hi comp head or 32A low comp head ?

What made you realise the barrel was from a 32A ?

Thanks again

Comment

Its a 32A barrel (has Villiers carb) cant tell what the head is by looking. There should be a part number on it 32A would be C11779 or C11785 the 34A B11910
                  I would think its a 32A as it has a blanking plug for decompressor (not fitted) but the 34A may also have this. So the set up is ideal for trials. Just ride and enjoy.

Comment

John
                    Thanks very much - the bike arrives tomorrow so will have a good look at the cylinder head and let you know.

Comment

John - I can see numbers at the base of the near side of the barrel - but can't really make them out. But yes, I'd say the i.d. starts C11..... The carb is a Villiers 25 and the spark plug is a short reach B8HS. The high compression head may take a longer reach plug - just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                      X