Main stand for off road bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main stand for off road bikes

Having the Ranger nearly topple over off the side stand has prompted me in to thinking about making some main stands. I made one with a friend for the grumph that turned out okay. One thing missing from the original is a lever to help get the main stand down and locked in place.

Adapted for the different alloy engine plates

Having just had to change the rear wheel due to a puncture it won't be soon enough

Good idea Tony. Could a roadster stand be adapted? There will no doubt be factory drawings. Ian

Comment

Hi Ian,
      I tried my roadster main stand and it would be too short, and if hung on brackets the lower brace would rub on the tyre.
      I think it might be okay on the Scottish as it has the lower footrest cradle. I think the ISDT style one is more elegant than the utilitarian roadster one - if a main stand can be elegant

Comment

I suppose I was thinking about a roadster one with extended feet, which is in effect what some other manufacturers did back in the day. Not very pretty though, as you say. I wonder if drawings exist of the ISDT one....

Comment

Yes, they do

Comment

If you plan on having a batch made, I could be interested Tony. As your Grumph is a TFS frame, and I would like one for a TE/S frame, they should be compatible. Ian

Comment

I will make a few extra Ian so there will be a few available

Comment

OK Tony, thanks. You are I guess making them for your Ranger(s)? Their frame is derived from the Anglian, which evolved from the TE frame, but I don't know whether there are any detail differences which could affect compatibility.

You may know the answer to that, or someone else here may.

Ian

Comment

Yes for the Ranger(s), the TFS Trail and the Anglian. The fitting was different for the grumph as the alloy plates for the Triumph engine are different from the original plates. I am sure that the stand will fix to any frame all be it with a slightly different mounting brackets, trial and error no doubt.

Comment

Fair enough. Keep me posted! Ian

Comment

ISDT Main stand

I asked Duncan from Parkwood products about making these and he would need a minimum order of 10. Also not cheap as they would be made using CDS tube.
                      Were the original stands made with CDS tube or rolled tube? I guess that the gusset was welded down each leg to strengthen it, presumably then it was rolled not CDS?
                      Since the bikes are light is using 3mm CDS tube necessary? The rolled tube (ERW) is roughly 1/3 the cost.

Comment

Hi Tony - I have attached the centre stand I had made for my ISDT challenger based off the factory drawing. I decided not to use the rolled steel tubing as I did not think is would be strong enough. Paul
                        Attached Files

Comment

ISDT Stand

The main legs were made from CDS2 and crossbracing from ERW.
                          Would ERW be strong enough for the main legs, probably, but you'll be the first to find out.

Druid

Comment

Thanks good picture of your main stand, without a gusset on the legs

John if they were made with 3mm thick CDS2 what was the gusset welded on for? Surely the legs must be strong enough without them?

Comment

Centre stand

Tony,
                              The drawings I looked at show CDS2 for the legs but without gussets, so obviously Greeves thought that was OK.

Druid

Comment

Working...
                              X