Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 TDS Resto in 4 weeks....?

Hi All,

Just thought I'd share a couple of photos of a resto I'm doing. It all started when my ElectrexWorld ignition welded itself to the crank and one thing led to another...

Im under a bit of a time deadline, I might make it...

Does anyone have a spare front brake back plate for sale? I need one to adapt to make the front forks work.

Cheers
    Andrew
    Attached Files

Well....

I didnt quite make it in 4 weeks, but got it done in 5....

I finished it at 11pm last night, drove it to a trial first thing today and finished with my best score.
    Attached Files

Comment

Stunning Resto congrats

Wow Andrew - what a beautiful trials bike - absolutely stunning !! - 5 weeks and a good result in the trial - you must be pleased
      Cheers Kim

Comment

Very nice,
        My rebuilds take a year, well the QUB took at least that.

Are those rock shocks on the front?
        I used them on the Challenger and seem to work well.
        Craig

Comment

Can I ask why you choose to use banana forks in place of the originals? They are banned from the Pre 65 Scottish & maybe other pre 65 events should you be planning to ride the bike competitively.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 06/09/2016, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Hi All,

Yes, really pleased with the result. By FAR the quickest resto Ive done. One of my other restos is 7 years and counting !

The tank doesnt quite look as good as it does in the pics so Id like to finish that and it doesnt have a chain guard which I need to sort out. But on the whole, pretty happy.

Right... My theory with the forks are (it was a hard decision):

Ive done about 7 trials in my life so the Scottish is at the very earliest next year ... not really on my list of things Ill ever do. There might be other trials out there that I might not be able to take part in (does anyone know? Wobblers?) but ultimately, I mostly struggle to come last so if I can do the Red Tape, Ill be happy enough?

Ultimately, I wanted to do a bike in the 'spirit of pre65' and I think I have. I know these are MK2 bananas but apart from a discussion about when these actually came out (matter of months difference I understand?) every thing on this bike was available in 1965 (apart from the Rock Shocks front and rear but theyre kind of disposable, just like youre not going to use 1965 tires, pistons etc...). I couldve put 'trick' teles on and done the Scottish but I didnt really want to and its a bit different as it is. I know my views arent the same as the Scottish committee (therefore I must be wrong) but... Im happy my bike is a 'proper pre65'.

Those are my thoughts...

Id be interested to know other peoples on pre65 or not? Apart from the Scottish, are there other trials that wouldnt accept it?

Im going to build the originals back up if I decide I should use them.

Cheers
            Last edited by dreverl; 07/09/2016, 12:27 AM.

Comment

100% agree with your thoughts.

Comment

Great restoration, with period mods.
                Pre65 has lost the plot.
                With bike competing that make the rules, but most components are new.
                I just love the day out on my Greeves, competing with like minded people, on modern monoshock, twinshock and electric bikes. Happy at the end of the day, with a sausage sizzle and a beer before going home.

whitehillbillies
                Last edited by whitehillbillies; 09/09/2016, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Hi lovely looking bike ,I have done the same and fitted MK2 bananas ( I love them) to my 1962 TE ,I had L/L forks on it at first but with the bananas it rides and steers better.Rob and Dicky both had a ride on it at the Somerton 2 day and were impressed how it rode .Like you I only ride a couple of trials a year and if you can try and ride at the Somerton 2 day in June brilliant trial for novice riders like me nice easy sections .This is a photo of my bike pretty standard apart from exhaust, there is a article in the next L/L about the bike.
                  Simon
                  Attached Files

Comment

More support here. I've put Mk 2 Bananas on the TFS I'm doing. A tribute to Don Smith who had Mk 1's on his TFS for the SSDT in 1965.

It's nearly done and I'll put it up on here when it's finished, but it's on one side while I sort the Scott and the TR5T out after their travails in the Isle of Man.

Jurby Festival was fun. Didn't see Rob though...
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                    X