greeves help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greeves help

i have just bought a greeves but would like to know the model and year please
    engine number is 453D 4130 and its type 32A
    the frame is 24TF 357
    its about 80% complette and i intended building a grumph with it but have started to get interested in the bike as standard , thanks for your help

I'm afraid that is not a valid Greeves frame number. Check to make sure the first part of it isn't 24TE, 24TES or 24TFS. The 453D engines were fitted to some TE and TES models.

Are you in the UK?
    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 01/12/2016, 03:30 PM.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

it is TF , how do I post a pic here , I will be getting the bike back to standard (I hope) its to complete to use as a doner chassis

Last edited by craig; 01/12/2016, 03:59 PM.

Comment

No, that isn't a genuine Greeves stamping. They lined the digits up far better than that. Also the alloy beam looks to have been welded over where the number usually goes.

That said, the bike itself looks, at first sight, to be a 24TFS from 1965. Still the basis of a perfectly good trials bike. By the way, that speedo binnacle is an original - don't lose it - they're very hard to find. Likewise the exhaust.
        Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 01/12/2016, 05:41 PM.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

would the club hold any dispatch records for the bike (TFS) ? I am tempted to take a file to it just to see if it has been welded over but I don't think this is the case (my brother has owned it since 1970 and used it for several years on his farm) but the bike was not new when he bought it so maybe , this is a problem with trials/competition machines . do the style of letters look correct to you ?

Comment

I agree with Colin. Definitely a TFS. The Speedo pinnacle, exhaust are all good pointers.

I would not recommend filing or grinding the number. The font is correct with the section style. The alignment is a bit poor. Just a case of unravelling......

Good luck. And yes it would make an excellent basis for a Triumph-Greeves.

Comment

I'm not sure its weld myself but will be taking a closer look , I have the triumph engine already (all alloy 3TA) but have started to like the look of the standard bike , if anyone here has a grumph any pics would be usefull and may sway my choice , I would really like to see one in the flesh , so anyone near Birmingham who would let me take some pics ?

Comment

Just an odd thought. Despite the frame being a TFS, there is a gap in the despatch records for 24TE357

Comment

unfortunately my history stops with my brother (1970) as the person he got it off is RIP , thanks for your help , do the records list the engine numbers ? see pic

Comment

Triumph-Greeves

I can email you pictures of a TFS Triumph-Greeves let me know triumphgreeves65@yahoo.co.uk

Comment

As Phil suggests a TE, I think its a poorly stamped E so yes 24TE357. Does it have a registration number or V5C?
                      Engine No 453D4130 is a 32A supplied to Greeves for 24TE, TES & TFS
                      The speedo binnacle points to a USA spec, presumably why its not in UK despatch records.
                      Last edited by John Wakefield; 01/12/2016, 07:00 PM.

Comment

thanks have done that .

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                          As Phil says a TE, I think its a poorly stamped E so yes 24TE357. Does it have a registration number or V5C?
                          Engine No 453D4130 is a 32A supplied to Greeves for 24TE, TES & TFS
                          no the bike has never been on the road as far as I know (my brother never past his test) thankyou do the records show who it was dispatched too ? what year is the bike also please
                          Last edited by craig; 01/12/2016, 07:00 PM.

Comment

If its a TE 1963
                            From my own records 24TE446 in the USA has engine number 453D3215 which may point to a TE.
                            Last edited by John Wakefield; 01/12/2016, 07:24 PM. Reason: date changed

Comment

thanks again , does make me think if this bike went to the USA it came back 5/7 years latter ? not impossible but , if its any help foot rests are mounted off swing arm pivot .

Comment

Working...
                              X