Greeves Riders Association Forums   Greeves Riders Association Forums Not signed up? Send an email to contact@greeves-riders.org.uk requesting access.
Find out more about GRA membership and how to join here.

Go Back   Greeves Riders Association Forums > General forums > Projects

Old 06/01/2018, 10:15 PM
GRA Member

Location: Gloucestershire, UK. Bikes owned; Greeves 24TCS, Yamaha FZS1000S....and a monkey....

....yeah, s'right bro...........and thanks for the advice on my chain issue too.....it WAS the cistern doobry fingy.....amazing!! How do you do it prof, respec' innit.

bRiAn.
Old 06/01/2018, 10:16 PM
GRA Member

Glad you did. I'd put time aside tomorrow for fettling, and if there wasn't a reply I'd have probably tried shimming it up anyway. for that timesaving advice I think I owe you a pint...well maybe a half....did I mention I'm from Yorkshire
Old 06/01/2018, 10:21 PM
GRA Member

Soggy, with this chain shimming lark, you would be amazed how difference a very little makes to the chain tension.

We now have the Griffon tank badges in stock. With any luck, they will be at both the Shepton show and also Telford.

Good to see you on here young Brian and also young Higgo!
Old 06/01/2018, 10:30 PM
GRA Member

Brian, glad we got that soted bud, try a bit of wd40 on your fingy & happy pulling from this moment on......
As for that northen chap that was on hear a while ago, well! we drink pints down here & anyway.... wots a half?
Old 07/01/2018, 10:28 AM
GRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave higgins View Post
Brian, glad we got that soted bud, try a bit of wd40 on your fingy & happy pulling from this moment on......
As for that northen chap that was on hear a while ago, well! we drink pints down here & anyway.... wots a half?
My mistake Dave, I was forgetting that for you shandy drinking southerners, a pint just about equates to a half for us drinking proper beer oop norf.

cheers for info Rob.

SW
Old 28/03/2018, 10:19 PM
GRA Member

Default the beginning of the end....or the end of the beginning

I can hardly believe it but the bike, apart from the usual tweaks is done Its a cliché but I couldn't have done it without the support of the forum, so a bit thanks to everyone who has offered help and advice along the way. If I say so myself, its looking pretty sexy. Even the white on red numbers look sweet....come on, be honest, who's forgotten to get new numbers

Still not starting well though. Even with a little fuel down the plug hole to prime the system it doesn't always help, and needs loads of right foot to get it to fire. Has anyone experienced similar. I'm thinking, as the engine has been rebuilt, the tolerances might just be a bit tight. I will double check the timing also. Would trying to bump start be a better option just to get everything moving more consistently? Any advice appreciated.

I couldn't post without admitting to my usual buffoonery. The tank needed a couple of lacquer coats to cover the new tank badges - what could go wrong. 2 coats and the tank looked the dogs danglers. I got greedy and went for a third coat, and stupidly went for a thicker one too. I've since found that this is a schoolboy error, as the solvent can't properly escape from the surface. End result - more wrinkles then me grannies nighty Flatted it back and gave it a lighter finish coat but still some crazing. Bugger. It will do for now. I'll probably face plant on the first corner and knacker the tank anyway.

So all set for round 1 of the 2018 Greeves Championship. First outing for the bike and first outing for me. Really looking forward to it. If you haven't seen Brian's post elsewhere, Maylandsea is waterlogged so venue has been changed to Marks Tay. Hope to see you there,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0131.jpg   DSC_0130.jpg   DSC_0115.jpg  
Old 29/03/2018, 07:09 AM
GRA Member

Paul, i didn`t realise they did polyripple artex finish in red!........
Enjoy your w/end, we have the badger goss trophy over here in the south west........proper racing.....
Old 29/03/2018, 12:34 PM
GRA Member

Hi there, just one small point......take the stand off before that Demon Adrian spots it and throws you to the back of the Scrutineering queue!
Old 29/03/2018, 04:37 PM
GRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave higgins View Post
Paul, i didn`t realise they did polyripple artex finish in red!........
Enjoy your w/end, we have the badger goss trophy over here in the south west........proper racing.....
Its a shocker isn't it. if you didn't laugh you'd have to cry... though I think this effect is very trendy in the boy racer fraternity on engine cases. Perhaps it will start a trend.. or maybe not.

Any thoughts on the starting problem Dave, what would you do?

And Brian, yep side stand will come off for racing but its handy to have whilst in the garage.
Old 29/03/2018, 06:54 PM
GRA Member

Paul what are the symptoms?